Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 8:02 am

What I mean by that is, the token "geek" hobbies. Like comic books, D&D, Star Trek, chess etc.

For me it was very minimal, I had Star Trek movies as a special interest when I was 15 but that faded away. I had a Star Wars interest on and off, but I never collected the figurines or the Timothy Zahn novels. I was really into chess at the ages of 8 to 10 though.

For comic books, I didn't really care for them, but my younger brother, who I'd describe as "mild NT, borderline AS" used to amass them and memorize weird stats about them. Yet he still had plenty of friends. That was in his early teens.

Also I never really got into D&D, I found it a colossal waste of time and knew about the stigma, but I had a couple of NT friends who were into it. Even today I've got a friend my age about 40 who still likes it and he's hardcore into video role playing games.

Back in my youth, I actually enjoyed music and sports trivia, which helped me bond with my NT buddies. But one time a friend of a friend told me he was surprised I "knew that", that I seemed more like the "Star Wars" type (sure, hang on while I go get my light sabre :) )
:P

Nepsis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2015, 9:42 am

Yes and No.
When I was little, I was really into dinosaurs, drawing and legos.
As a teenager my hobbies were more along the lines of video games and
comics. I liked Star Trek, but never quite to "Trekkie" status...I didn't own the series
on video or anything.
My hobbies became more non-stereotypical...languages and religions, which continues today.
I find them fascinating, reading and studying all I can about various languages
and religions, mythologies, and such.
Still like video games tho :ninja:

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:30 am

When I first read the thread, I wondered what those "stereotypical hobbies" might be. I am surprised by that description; I like some of those things mentioned. Sadly, I never got to know someone with similar likes.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:51 am

I liked video games and still do.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 1:12 pm

I don't think I've really been into stereotypical Aspie stuff. Pokemon seems to be mentioned a lot among Aspie forums, which I am not into, but I was into it in the late 90's because Pokemon became all the rage at school at that time. I wasn't into it to begin with, but because all my peers were, I gave in to peer pressure and made myself be into it, which is a typical kid thing. Then when the craze dried up a bit, I sort of grew out of it again, but I still played with my stuffed Pokemon toys I had collected.

Otherwise, as a child I was into whatever toys were in at the time and were popular among little girls, like Barbies, My Little Ponies, that sort of stuff. And when I first watched South Park in 1998, I was absolutely in love with it!! That got me popular among a lot of boys at school for a while. :lol:

So, nah, I've never really been into stereotypical stuff, unless it was part of the rage. A lot of Aspies seem to be into Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon (as mentioned already), My Little Ponies (also mentioned), and those did become really popular among kids when I was growing up. I am not into those now though. I'm more into writing (but not reading), and shopping.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2015, 1:41 pm

I used to frequently browse Wikipedia a lot when I was a child, whether it was at home or at school. I was practically a Wiki addict. Because of this I have seriously extensive knowledge (walking encyclopedia), and I'm really good at trivia. I still do browse Wikipedia.

I was never into manga or anime, though (in fact, I can't seem to get interested in it). The only anime/manga that I ever really watched was the Dragonball Z they'd air on Cartoon Network back in the early 2000s (as well as the rest of the Toonami block; good times). I also used to watch Pokemon, but that was more of a casual interest in the early 00's as well.

I'm still practically a huge nerd though. I also like to work out and such, which sort of contrasts with the "weak aspie" image.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 1:49 pm

I wasn't really interested in anime or superheroes or sci-fi or any of that stuff. I was interested in complex math and math/logic puzzles. I never liked playing chess (couldn't think ahead the way you have to), but I did like reading chess rulebooks. Other weird interests of mine included grammar and parenting.

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2015, 2:05 pm

I was into comics when I was a kid but the obsessive part was I only bought DC. They had to be DC, anything else sucked as far as I was concerned. I'm from UK by the way so American comics had a different kind of status back then, in the '70s that's to say.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

I was interested in some cartoons (Beetle Juice, Danny Phantom), books (Harry Potter, Drizzt Do'Urden serie), religions, death, lucid dreams, astronomy, mobile phones, computers, RPG games (a system made by my friend), MMO games (Flyff, Perfect World), asperger and thunderstorms. Right now I am into manga and anime. It got me eventually although I was "sure" it would never happen... :lol:

princeapalia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2015, 3:38 pm

I'm 19 now, and I used to be obsessed with Warhammer since I started playing it around 7/8 years ago, to the point that it massively affected my schoolwork because I was planning armies etc every moment during lessons. I won a couple of national painting trophies for it, so I guess I found my niche.

Now that I've gone to Uni, I've lost most of my motivation to play/paint it which has benefiting my wallet significantly!

The same was also the case for video games, but in my case, it was an obsession with Call of Duty, which gradually gave way to FIFA and Battlefield.

I mostly take part in football, scuba diving, badminton and hiking now, so not quite as stereotypical now.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 7:59 pm

I have always liked some comics, and still do.

I have never played D&D, nor do I think it seems interesting in the least.

I can't stand chezzzzz...

I love Star Trek Voyager and I think ST Next Gen is okay, but I'm not trekkie.

As a child I liked and collected dinosaurs and I liked trains. I still take an interest in both, but neither has ever been a special interest or an obsession.

I have liked video games since I got my first console (NES) in 1989. I like video games, and def get hooked on my faves (Pokemon in particular, but also Rune Factory, Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing among others).

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:14 pm

Computers, mathematics, books, cartoons, movies, and video games are a great way to spend a solitary life. I'll never be normal, so why worry if I'm geeky?

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2015, 9:33 pm

Take pride in your geekiness sir.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:50 pm

Graphic art with Photoshop, coin collecting on and off, building websites, mini-aquariums with little water critters such as amphipods or Sea Monkeys (Brine Shrimp). Novice gamer ( A Facebook friend introduced me to Marathon-Bungie.net) a while back. Just purchased a PS3 and Sonic the Hedgehog and Call of Duty-Black Ops.

Someone mentioned about Star Trek. I loved Star Trek (TAS) and the animated series of Planet of the Apes. In fact I just ordered those a couple years back or so.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Feb 2015, 1:50 am

I have a couple like into StarTrek but I never been into geek stuff & don't have the intelligence for it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 2:11 pm

I'm an avid model railroader. So are a few of my co-workers (and they're not autistic).

I collect stamps and coins.

I played a lot of D&D when I was a teenager. I'd play again now but nobody my age around here is interested.