any fiction books with an aspie main character?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 6:20 am

anyone knows of a fiction book where the most important character is an aspie?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 6:46 am

_House Rules_ by Jodie Picoult, _The Speed of Dark_ by Elizabeth Moon, _The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime_ by Mark Haddon, and the "Millenium Trilogy" by Stieg Larsson.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

"Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend" by Matt (?) Green

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

"Mockingbird," by Kathryn Erskine. The main character is a tween Aspie girl. It's a light treatment IMO, but I laughed my ass off.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm

Not exactly... but there are an awful lot of not-exactly-NT characters in The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I sometimes wondered if one or more of them may have been modelled after AS personality traits, as there were many that applied to pretty well all of the characters - but each of them quite different from one another. Excellent book, btw.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:06 am

600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:16 am

Sherlock Holmes stories, of course.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:32 am

Of Mice and Aliens by Kathy Hoopman

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:57 am

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2013, 11:51 am

- Ben X by Nic Balthazar (I think Ben has pdd-nos though)
- The Summer of the Bear by Bella Pollen (although Jamie is just one of the main characters)
- Harten Sara by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (It's a Dutch book and i don't think it's published in English (yet?))
- Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

Well, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou is an anime based off a book where a main character has some Aspie-like characteristics. (Although it's never actually stated, and it's not exactly like the real thing)

Author/Writer

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

In the upcoming novel, Commoner the Vagabond, the main character has aspie traits but he was undiagnosed as the majority of the story takes place in the 70's and 80's.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

Zodai wrote:
Well, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou is an anime based off a book where a main character has some Aspie-like characteristics. (Although it's never actually stated, and it's not exactly like the real thing)

:lol: I don't think any of us are _exactly_ like the "real thing". If you meet one Aspie, you've met one Aspie.

slushy9
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2013, 9:16 pm

Not exactly books, but I do know movies/shows. Rain Main and Big Bang are my favorite. Beautiful Mind for schizophrenia/genius. I don't recommend Pi, movie about paranoid/schiz? mathematician. The movie's pointless and hard to follow.

ExoticCritter
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2013, 8:22 pm

1.) The Time Quartet (best known for A Wrinkle in Time- which is the first book in the series) implies that two of its main characters (Meg and Charles Wallace) are on the spectrum. Both characters are appear odd, have trouble with other people, and have an above average intellect. It is mentioned several times that their twin siblings are "normal," and something is off with Meg and Charles Wallace. Charles Wallace learned to talk very late, barely talks at all, and is severely bullied. It also implies they were tested for autism in the first book (their parents gave them a series of tests that felt like games when they were little- some were IQ tests and some weren't). However, I believe they later sort of contradict this by saying Charales Wallace may be the start of a new species of something. 2.) Otis (a minor character) in Because of Winn Dixie struck me as very aspie like even though it never says he is one. He doesn't know how to act around people, is obsessed with music, has social anxiety, appears off, and a few of the neighborhood kids refer to him as "ret*d" even though he doesn't seem to be (this shows kids recognize there is something mentally different about him, even if he really isn't ret*d). Even if he isn't all there (again I believe the book implies he isn't actually ret*d, but we don't know for sure) I think he falls on the spectrum somewhere. Although he is a minor character he is one of the most important because he saves the day at the end of the book.

Last edited by ExoticCritter on 27 Oct 2013, 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 9:10 pm

Sibyl wrote:
Zodai wrote:

:lol: I don't think any of us are _exactly_ like the "real thing". If you meet one Aspie, you've met one Aspie.

I was in the middle of a fantasy adventure trilogy when I became ill. Since being on chemotherapy my brain has turned to mush and I have not been writing.

The protagonist in the series [aimed at creatively wired early and pre-teen males] is autistic, as are many, actually most, of the secondary characters.

The characters in the adventure are all varied with different forms of intelligence, gifts, disabilities, and personalities. They are each distinctly unique. They are also each uniquely autistic. I pray that the universe will bless me with a renewed mind and physical healing so that [along with many other things] I can complete and publish the books. My characters definitely break the stereotype of autistics in todays world.