Anybody else like the Kohs Block Test?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you taken a Kohs Block Test, and if so did you find it easy?
Yes, it was too easy. 48%  48%  [ 13 ]
No, it was pretty challenging. 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
I have never taken that test. 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 27

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 2:49 pm

I was just getting a metal testing exam for my disability. Overall I found the entire exam to be pretty challenging, until we got to the Kohs Block Test. The entire time I was doing the test I was thinking. You call this an IQ test? Please give me more blocks, more colors, a more complicated design. Make this more challenging, please.

When I finished I told the psychologist giving me the test, well that was easy. She looked at me kind of surprised, and told me that I would be surprised at how many people have difficulties with it.

So anyways, is anybody else really good at the Kohs Block Test. I'm thinking it might be an autistic thing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xze_9ION-4I[/youtube]

christof
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2013, 7:32 pm

This was one of the tests included in my Dyslexia test. Like your self I found it stupidly easy and completed them all with time to spare.

Then there was some matrix tests although I can't recall the specific name nor do I have my test results handy to check but they looked similar to the image below. You had to look at a series of them and pick the odd one out. Again I "completed all but one of the matrices in a very short time" that last one of which I couldn't quite describe why it was different but there was just something about it. Turned out I was right on that one also. Not entirely sure of what my exact IQ is as the test wasn't really designed for high results but broken down into different areas scores ranged from 86 to 142. In any event, it was enough to get me into Mensa. Not that I cared but just wanted to see if I could.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

Looks like a blue pentagon with one orange line would work.

I loved the blocks when I was tested as a kid.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 10:01 pm

I did absolutely miserably on that test. :( I felt like a complete moron trying to put a square peg in a round hole. My score on that part of the test was half the rest of my scores.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 12:38 am

I had fun with the blocks test, and like you , I wished it was a lot more challenging.
The lady giving me the test was amazed at how fast I did it, and said I was the only person she tested who got all of them right.

But that matrix test 'christof' posted was kinda confusing.

Diagnosed in 2005

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 12:43 am

I'm yelling at the kid in that video. :lol:

I don't believe I ever took that particular test, but I did take a similar one, the WISC-III block design test. When I took it at age 8, my scaled score was 19, considered to be "very superior." It came down to 12 when I was 15, however.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 1:25 am

beneficii wrote:

To be honest, so was I, but looking at him, I suspect fine motor skill deficits. It looks like a relatively easy test, but I've never taken it before.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 1:45 am

StarTrekker wrote:
beneficii wrote:

To be honest, so was I, but looking at him, I suspect fine motor skill deficits. It looks like a relatively easy test, but I've never taken it before.

Actually, I had those deficits too, but I still kicked butt.

Still, I do think some of it also comes from problems other than the fine motor skill deficits, like when he had the block turned the wrong way and had difficulty figuring out how to turn it the right way.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 2:15 am

I always found that stuff easy. I never knew people had a hard time with it until I was 15.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2013, 3:01 am

Those are very easy for me.
I had a IQ test before and the results were highly scattered.
My highest was matrix reasoning rated above %99th percentile
My lowest was wisconsion card sorting aswell as paragraph copying on the wrat-r, both under 3rd percentile.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 4:10 am

It's a known ASD thing (though not to the point where it's diagnostic or anti-diagnostic by itself).

Quote:
Uta Frith, in her book Autism: Explaining the Enigma,[5] addresses the superior performance of autistic individuals on the block design test. This was also addressed in this earlier paper.[6] A particularly interesting article demonstrates the differences in construction time in the performance of the block design task by individuals with and without Asperger syndrome. An essential point here is that in an unsegmented version of the task, people with Asperger syndrome performed significantly faster than neurotypical individuals.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_desi ... _disorders

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 4:46 am

christof wrote:
This was one of the tests included in my Dyslexia test. Like your self I found it stupidly easy and completed them all with time to spare.

Then there was some matrix tests although I can't recall the specific name nor do I have my test results handy to check but they looked similar to the image below. You had to look at a series of them and pick the odd one out. Again I "completed all but one of the matrices in a very short time" that last one of which I couldn't quite describe why it was different but there was just something about it. Turned out I was right on that one also. Not entirely sure of what my exact IQ is as the test wasn't really designed for high results but broken down into different areas scores ranged from 86 to 142. In any event, it was enough to get me into Mensa. Not that I cared but just wanted to see if I could.

I did some of that too. But that part was actually a bit challenging for me. What I found so interesting was that the Block Design test was the only part of the exam that required no effort on my part.

Doing a bit more research though, I'm seeing that as I suspected, the Block Design test is a strong point for autistics. I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise that it was easy for me.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:06 am

pete1061 wrote:
I had fun with the blocks test, and like you , I wished it was a lot more challenging.
The lady giving me the test was amazed at how fast I did it, and said I was the only person she tested who got all of them right.

But that matrix test 'christof' posted was kinda confusing.

Yep, thats exactly the same as me. After the exam, I asked her how I did. She told me that she was very impressed with my performance on the block test, and that she definitely suspects that I'm autistic.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:11 am

beneficii wrote:

I don't believe I ever took that particular test, but I did take a similar one, the WISC-III block design test. When I took it at age 8, my scaled score was 19, considered to be "very superior." It came down to 12 when I was 15, however.

Interesting. I believe this test was the WAIS-IV exam. I should know for sure when I get the results.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:33 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
It's a known ASD thing (though not to the point where it's diagnostic or anti-diagnostic by itself).

Thanks. That sure doesn't surprise me. When I took that block test, I just had a weird feeling right away, that it was just too easy for me.

Daydreamer86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2013, 5:56 am

I would struggle with that test and, indeed, have scored very poorly on tests like that in the past. I have dyspraxia though which explains a lot, I think, because not only do I have issues with my fine motor skills but I also struggle to visualise how things fit together. I remember getting so frustrated in school whenever we studied tessellation as we would inevitably be asked to do our own designs of tessellated shapes and mine would never fit together. Even though I knew cognitively how to do it, it just wouldn't transfer to paper.

My blog on life with Aspergers.