Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 1:05 pm

Growing up I always thought I looked atypical, not like the other boys. Hard to explain. I'm not by any means ugly; I'm handsome in my own way, but there was just a difference I noticed. Anyone else?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 2:08 pm

I've always thought I looked weird too. I still do now, even more so. I don't know what ''weird'' is exactly, if I dress in stylish clothes that don't make me stand out in any way, and I have a ''standard'' posture and I just keep my hands by my sides (not flapping or extreme swinging or anything like that), and I don't do anything unusual like talk loudly to myself, and I don't do anything else socially inappropriate like pick my nose in public or anything like that. I've even had NT relatives or a good friend to give me honest feedback, and all of them have said that I look perfectly normal and that they would never feel ashamed of embarrassed to be seen out with me. Also I look at myself in the mirror before I go out and I always look presentable, my hair is always brushed and styled nicely, and I don't have poor hygiene or anything like that.

But I have experienced random strangers snickering at me, quite a few times before, and it has made me want to run under a train. :cry:
So I look a little shy maybe, but that doesn't make one look weird or different. Some people are shy, big woop. They're not going to bite.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 6:06 pm

i dont think its because of looking shy. i am very good at standing up for myself but i have noticed very stupid behaviour around me from other people before. ok, maybe its usually teenage boys who play me up for some reason, and i shall never know why 14 year olds would want to pick on a woman in her 40s, but there you go..

anyway i used to think i look weird, but i doubt it. i do love to take pride in my appearance, i always have done ever since i was about 19 or 20. i love to style my hair, wear make up, and wear nice clothes. i dont go over the top but i do always like to look presentable. my husband wishes i wouldn't care about my appearance so much because he says i look beautifull as always. i choose to believe that because i do tend to attract a lot of men. but dont get too jealous! a lot of people (including men) hate me too, simply because they dont understand me and think im just doing it all on purpose. see, if you technicaly dont display any of the autism stereotypes, people dont understand you. :hmph:

i also sometimes wonder what people who are laughing at me would say if i went up to them and asked what is weird about me to them, and see what they would say. they probably wouldnt even know what they are laughing at.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 10:09 am

I'm surprised only 2 people have replied to this, as it is such a relatable topic.

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 10:23 am

Yeah, I look weird. Still can't pinpoint how. I notice it most in pictures.

andrewlavigne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 10:45 am

Oh yeah, totally. It wasn't until I was in high school that my eyebrows got dark/thick enough to be noticeable, and I had red splotches on my cheeks. I have noticeable eyebrows and a more normal complexion now, but I still have big lips and eyes that are so dark brown that they look black. I have been called both "Eyes" and "Lips". I'm not bothered by any of this anymore. In fact, what's weird is that the thing i'm most self-conscious about is my nose. Nobody has ever called me "Nose" though.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:04 am

Insecurity about one's looks is commonplace for just about everyone to one degree or another. Especially in a heavily media based society. I've always been self conscious about my hair.

Diagnosed in 2005

andrewlavigne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 11:06 am

pete1061 wrote:
Insecurity about one's looks is commonplace for just about everyone to one degree or another. Especially in a heavily media based society. I've always been self conscious about my hair.

Damn it. That's another thing I've been self-conscious about in the past. If it gets long enough (which it inevitably does, as I only get my haircut when I absolutely can't stand it anymore), it gets very, very curly and fluffy. I'm a 25 year old "man", but I often receive compliments from middle-aged women about how jealous they are of my hair. It is confusing.

That said, I'm comfortable with all those things now. I'm fine with how I look.

old_badger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm

I don't see it myself, but that is the response I get.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:42 pm

I've felt like I look "weird" since I was about 9 years old or so. I'd just transferred to a new school in the 4th grade, and I was in the bathroom one day, and saw what my face looked like for the first time in a while (I hadn't seen a reflection of myself for a long time prior to that), and was very taken aback by what I saw.

When I was really little, my mom still had all these little cardback books from her childhood that she gave to me and read to me once in a while (I think they were Golden Books or Whitman Tell-A-Tale books - a lot of them fell apart over the years, but we still have a couple) and one of them was a Lady and the Tramp book. I couldn't read at the time, but I liked looking at the illustrations (especially since they were illustrations of Disney characters I liked) and could make inferences about what was going on in the text based on what was happening in the pictures.

One illustration was of Lady (the proper, ladylike yet unworldly cocker spaniel) getting a look at herself via her reflection in a shattered window pane for the first time since her liaison with Tramp - her fur is filthy and riddled with clumps of mud, her pink ribbon is untied and askew, her nails are dirty, and her ears are all frizzy. Lady sees how disheveled she's become since she left home and is depicted in the illustration as being absolutely horrified, as if she can't believe that's really her she sees.

.....When I saw myself in the mirror that day at school, I knew exactly how Lady must have felt. I clearly remember thinking to myself, "No wonder I don't have any friends...I don't LOOK like anyone else here." And heck, I'm STILL less than thrilled with what I see when look in the mirror, even now that I'm in my 20's. :?

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm

I stare into space or I'm twitching because I need to pay attention. :D Oh well.

I don't look weird otherwise I guess. My friends say I can, but not all the time.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

ALLLLLL the time.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks