Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:49 pm

Mother's Side:

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Anxiety
Depression
Asperger Syndrome
a few personality disorders that I can't remember

(My mom has AS,OCD,and Bipolar..we think that she might have a Borderline Personality.)

Father's Side:

Depression
Anxiety
I'm sure there's more...

(My Dad is dyslexic.)

-SpaceCase

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:52 pm

Mom's Side:

Mom doesn't have anything
Grandmother has major depression
A cousin has bipolar disorder/schizophrenia

Dad's side:

nothing

Also, a half cousin (my uncle's--dad's brother's--stepson has HFA)

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:53 pm

Mom's Side

Depression
High Blood Pressure

Dad's Side

Bipolar Disorder
OCD?
AS?

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 7:03 pm

I don't know about my mother's side since most of her side of the family is dead. My father has High Blood pressure. My Uncle Chris has ADD. My youngest cousin has Down Syndrome.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 7:55 pm

Mom's side-
-Anxiety
-Suicidality (3 family members on my mom's side hanged themselves)

Dad's side-
-Depression
-anxiety
-OCD
-Alcoholism
-Drug addiction

Last edited by Starbuline on 07 Feb 2007, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 8:05 pm

Mom's side
-cancer

that's all I know.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 8:10 pm

Mums side:
Dyslexia
Cancer risk

Dads side:
Aspergers
Colour blind...ness (From his father, not him himself. But it was passed onto me)
More cancer risk

I'm probably going to get cancer...

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 8:27 pm

Mom side
Depression
anxiety
uncle committed suicide
mental illness in general

Dads side
Asperger's
my grandfather is an aspie

Faceless
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2007, 8:44 pm

Mother's side:

Alzheimer's (strongly)
High Blood Pressure

Father's side:

hairy bodies

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 8:47 pm

Both sides:
Being a non-smoker. No one in my family has smoked smoked since 1877, about three generations back. At least that's what my grandparents told me, so I'd assume it's true. Maybe that the year when someone in my family tree quit smoking, and no one in the family, on either side, has smoked since. I broke that trend, by smoking my first cigarette in 2003. I find it both funny and slightly sad. I still smoke, although less than half a pack a day. Despite having bad relationships with my family, I do put a lot of value on this little historical fact, and take a small bit of pride in being the first smoker in such a long time.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 08 Feb 2007, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 8:57 pm

Autism.
People who were regarded as "slow".
People who were regarded as "tetched".
Tourette.
Bipolar.
Assorted medical stuff.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 9:54 pm

Yikes, what doesn't run in my family?

I don't know my father at all, so all this is on my mother's side:

• Alcoholism - my mother, her brother/my uncle, my grandfather, his father...and that's as far back as I know
  • "hard" drug problems - my mother, her brother/my uncle
  • Depression - EVERYBODY
  • Anxiety - my mother, my aunt, my cousin, my grandmother
  • OCD - my aunt, my grandmother, me
  • Schizophrenia - my great-aunt, my great grandmother, my great-great grandmother
  • Narcissistic Personality disorder - my mother
  • ADD/ADHD - my mother, my brother, my sister, both my cousins, probably my uncle (not DXed)
  • Some form of ASD - Me (DXed) and I suspect one of my cousins and our grandfather and his sister (our great aunt).
  • Learning Disabilities - both my cousins
  • high IQ - everyone who has been tested, which is most of my family. I actually seem to have one of the lowest so far, but I'm still above average. My mother tested "in the high 140's" according to her doctor.

If I were to list all the physical health problems, we'd be here all day. Nobody in my family lives to be past their 60's, and many die in their 40's or earlier. My oldest family member right now is 51. That's pretty pathetic. And she's already had cancer 3 times. My genes suck.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 10:50 pm

I forgot Alcholism in BOTH sides of my family.

-SpaceCase

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 11:17 pm

I think heart problems run in my family, unfortunately.

cags
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2007, 12:13 am

My daughter has Aspergers
My niece and cousin both have sons who are autistic.
I am bipolar 2, anxiety, polycystic kidney and liver disease, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, and sensitive to meds.
Cancer and heart problems, depression, and anxiety run in my family .

Her Dad heart problems run in his family.

r_mc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2007, 5:46 am

Mothers side:

Narrow ear canals, often leading to profound deafness in infancy and early childhood (not autism related- my mum had it and is as NT as they come, mine was cleared up with gromits when I was 3)

Longevity- my great uncles and aunts lived into their 90s. My grandfather died age 86 despite being a heavy smoker who had a lung removed during the second world war due to tuberculosis. Without antibiotics.

Intelligence- my mum got through a degree in law no problem, one of my uncles is a mathematician who helped design the maths curriculum taught in Scottish schools (Scottish Primary Maths Guide course). It's difficult to gauge for many of the older/dead ones as they didn't have much opportunity to get a good education. My uncle who's a mathematician was the first to go to university, and my mum went as a mature student as she had to go straight from school to work due to financial constraints. Henry Bell, the inventor of the steamship, is one of the earliest of my ancestors that I've been able to trace (although he may have had some sort of spectrum disorder if the descriptions of him made by his contemporaries are anything to go by, see http://www.electricscotland.com/history ... _henry.htm)

Creativity: Several of my living relatives are talented artists, some show great innovation in their professional work as well.

Dyslexia, Aspergers, ADD and other things at the mild end of the spectrum- My brother is dyslexic, 1 cousin DXed with AS, another cousin DXed with ADD. None of my older living family members have been assessed, but of the ones I know, 2 uncles, 1 aunt and 2 other cousins could easily be DXed. 4 females 3 males in total- I think the gender ratio is about 50:50, if the oral history regarding my recent ancestors and other dead family members is anything to go by. The females tend to be very eccentric (although some have had a nasty streak), but the males tend to be either very, very quiet and kind or exceptionally nasty.

Sociopathy- some of the treatment some members of my family have recieved at the hands of other family members is too awful to relate here. Some of the males who are suspected of being on the spectrum get frustrated and just can't control their tempers, and it's always their wives and children who suffer. Some of the (NT and possible spectrum) women are/were like this as well, although they tend to be psychologically rather than physically violent to their husbands. Their children recieve both forms of abuse from them.

A certain "look": We have old photographs going back over 100 years, and many of the people in them look practically identical to family members alive today, far more than you'd expect (no, there's not been any inbreeding). My great uncle, for example, looks so like my brother it's unreal.

Fathers side

I don't know so much about his relations as I haven't seen him for years.

Alcoholism: His mother and several of his male relatives.

Intelligence: He is smart inasmuch as he's good at rote learning. No imagination whatsoever. His sisters became doctors and I think some of his other family members pursued medical or academic carreers.

Autistic disorders: He has a lot of the traits associated with the AS, as does his brother and possibly one of his sisters. Don't know about the rest of his family.