Surprised you had certain impairments in childhood?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 5:47 pm

A few years back, when I started searching through my records for any sign of my present gender dysphoria, based on memories of experiencing gender dysphoria in elementary school, I went in with the attitude that my Asperger's diagnosis was a fluke; of course I had problems if I thought I was the wrong gender! Well, what I found surprised me. There was no mention of gender issues, but lots of issues with things like speech delay, problems with processing information, perseverative thinking, problems with my thinking processes, confusion within my thought processes, etc., which I found kinda embarassing but also surprising, as I never knew I had any of those problems save the perseverative thinking. I had no idea I had a speech delay, especially one that stretched into Kindergarten! I started Kindergarten at 5 years, 4 months, while my first continuous memories go back to 4 and a half years, so you're saying that even though I was not aware of my communication problems, I was actually having severe communication problems? Wow!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

I was surprised to read how bad my social skills were and how disorganized my thoughts were or how clumsy I was and how I still had communication delays at age ten even though I could talk and tell people about my day or how I couldn't hold a conversation. I was also surprised to read from 3rd grade my learning disability was severe. That's all I remember. There was no mention about my obsessions except OCD. I also know then I didn't talk about them to everyone or to kids who made fun of me. Only to certain people and Mom wouldn't allow me to talk to her about the same topics.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

Diagnosis took me by suprise, but it made sence sow social skills, tics, ballance learning and reading problems all fitted together. Something that went amiss straight through childhood.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 10:28 pm

I was not aware of any social/communication/rigidity problems when I was little, and I was verry merry berry aloof/uncommunicative/nonspeaking/rigid child, and these problems seemed to have no effect on me from my perspective at all.

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm

I have all of my report cards from Kindergarten through to High School.

Kindergarten: "[WarWraith] is more interested in what the teacher is doing than his own work and follows him around the classroom"

Fourth Grade: "[WarWraith] is now setting his own spelling lists from the dictionary, as he has completed all the spelling lists right through to the sixth grade level"

Fifth Grade: "The number of books in the school library that [WarWraith] has not read is quickly diminishing"

Year 8 English: "[WarWraith] will not do class work set for him. [WarWraith] will only do what [WarWraith] wants to do."

Just a random selection of highlights.