Living by myself in complete isolation from society

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

steppinthrax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Nov 2013, 12:17 pm

I'm thinking that individuals that are on the spectrum are not understood nor appreciated by the nts of society. I believe that medicine will need to take huge leaps before we are even understood. I wonder if complete isolation is an acceptable method. Also a neighborhood of just spectrum individuals living in close proximity to each other.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 12:29 pm

I've already accepted that no one will ever understand me, so....

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

Recently I am not so sure spectrum people could live together anymore than they could live with NT's.

Does it matter? The whole world is going to hell anyway.

One maybe better off getting a dog and taking up art...that way you have a chance of creating something beautiful.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 1:03 pm

Sweeping statements aside, the answer to your question really depends on the individuals in question - if "complete isolation" is an acceptable outcome to the person who is being isolated then it is acceptable. Perhaps I missed the point of what you were trying to say. From my experience, excess isolation isn't all it's made out to be; most people may piss me off most of the time but, autistic or not, I still require interaction with other humans to maintain my sanity.

I don't think a ASD-only community would be helpful either, I've learned that other people with ASDs are no more or less likely than anyone else to piss me off; someone can be an interesting and enjoyable or nasty and unpleasant person to be around regardless of what neurological pigeonhole we shove them into. NTs do NOT have ANY sort of monopoly on being annoying, overbearing, insensitive, obsessed with triviality etc.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 1:07 pm

Steppinthrax, you raise very valid questions. I totally agree that NTs don't understand or appreciate us. But living in total isolation is dangerous. You have to strive to have some people here and there - a neighbor, someone at work, a doctor, whatever you can have. I have no idea how old you are, but parents and close family won't always be there for you, and any support you can find from people who are as little abusive as possible is a crucial asset.

steppinthrax

22 Nov 2013, 3:27 pm

I just find in my life social interactions are the main issues. Overall, I would say out of all my social interactions within a given week (very few), only about 10 to 20% are good and favorable. Generally people on the other end probably have a weird/confused/misunderstanding of me. I also feel I can accomplish more by myself, with no people around.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 3:18 am

I'm not sure anyone really understands each other. From where we're standing it might seem that way, but a society that understands each other wouldn't have much use for books and television shows on the subject.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 3:26 am

coffeebean wrote:
I'm not sure anyone really understands each other. From where we're standing it might seem that way, but a society that understands each other wouldn't have much use for books and television shows on the subject.

They don't. Not when individuality is concerned.

They understand each other where their belief systems are the same but that is because they share the same beliefs and ergo the same emotional reactions to things. NTs are just culturally trained primates in some ways.

Understand their culture you will understand them...to a degree.

Question can you be bothered with all the social and cultural bollocks out there or do you just want to enjoy a quiet life doing that which are passionate about in the spare time (after taking care of suvival 101).

I prefer that second option although I had hoped to have a life companion to join me.

I'm not going to find that on the internet...everyone online has convinced themselves I am a useless bag of s**t that can't do anything and that I need someone to fix me.

I find that f*****g insulting especially as my achievements are ignored in favour of making me out to be a useless bag of s**t that can't do anything.

I got social problems, I may like my hobbies and I may need to use routine to help me organise myself but I am perfectly capable outside of that. And no, making the occasional mistake does not mean I am incapable, it is just part of life's learning curve. Sometimes things take practice that is all...

Sorry for the vent there.

Last edited by bumble on 23 Nov 2013, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 3:27 am

So, you're saying that you don't actually live in isolation from society at this time?

That's surviving ASD and zombie apocalypse 101 right there.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 5:10 am

invisiblesilent wrote:
I don't think a ASD-only community would be helpful either, I've learned that other people with ASDs are no more or less likely than anyone else to piss me off; someone can be an interesting and enjoyable or nasty and unpleasant person to be around regardless of what neurological pigeonhole we shove them into. NTs do NOT have ANY sort of monopoly on being annoying, overbearing, insensitive, obsessed with triviality etc.

I agree with you 100%.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 6:22 am

steppinthrax wrote:
I'm thinking that individuals that are on the spectrum are not understood nor appreciated by the nts of society. I believe that medicine will need to take huge leaps before we are even understood. I wonder if complete isolation is an acceptable method. Also a neighborhood of just spectrum individuals living in close proximity to each other.

The second. Living in complete isolation, is difficult. You have to be a very independent self-sufficient, self-relient individual. I don't think must autistic people would handle it very well.

Living together in a community is a way better solution. Every one should have their space and their privacy. But also have other people on the spectrum near by who they can trust and understand, interact with and get help and support when needed.

My personal preference would be a camp of something like these, surrounding a central community building.

ImageImage

Emylee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2013, 7:43 am

I have had a fantasy ever since I was a small child. It is the only fantasy I have ever had.

To live off the land, be completely self sufficient, and never have to be near another human being for the rest of my life. I have amended my fantasy to include my partner, but if I'm being honest I think he would wind up going nuts and burying me in the woods...

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm

Interesting you wouldn't feel the desire for contact with a doctor.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 1:14 pm

I find that my social needs are well met by, on the same day each week, going to a therapy session, the supermarket, and the pharmacy. I enjoy chatting-up the checkout clerks. And when I get home I stow the week's groceries and proceed to happily spend the remainder of the week in my own company.

The only thing more I would like is to have a dog or a cat, but that must wait because my apartment does not allow them.

The cabin-in-the-woods thing sounds great, though I might be fearful of devolving into some sort of Ted Kaczynski psychopath :-)

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

Marky9 wrote:
I find that my social needs are well met by, on the same day each week, going to a therapy session, the supermarket, and the pharmacy. I enjoy chatting-up the checkout clerks. And when I get home I stow the week's groceries and proceed to happily spend the remainder of the week in my own company.

Not a bad lifestyle. Only problem, what if you need someone to help you with something. Move furniture or something. You are kind of in a bind if your don't have anybody, you can count on.

Marky9 wrote:
The only thing more I would like is to have a dog or a cat, but that must wait because my apartment does not allow them.

Emotional Support Animal (ESA). Have your therapist sign a paper that you need one, and you should be good to go. Personally though I find pets to be more of a pain in the ass, then people are. Pets require way too much attention. It's true that people do sometimes have a lot of drama and problems, but pets always need attention.

Marky9 wrote:
The cabin-in-the-woods thing sounds great, though I might be fearful of devolving into some sort of Ted Kaczynski psychopath :-)

LOL, you would have to get used to those type of redneck neighbors living in the woods.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:38 pm

Marky9 wrote:

Not a bad lifestyle. Only problem, what if you need someone to help you with something. Move furniture or something. You are kind of in a bind if your don't have anybody, you can count on.

Marky9 wrote:

Emotional Support Animal (ESA). Have your therapist sign a paper that you need one, and you should be good to go. Personally though I find pets to be more of a pain in the ass, then people are. Pets require way too much attention. It's true that people do sometimes have a lot of drama and problems, but pets always need attention.

Marky9 wrote:

LOL, you would have to get used to those type of redneck neighbors living in the woods.