Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:48 pm

BBC - Boyle Admits Aspergers Diagnosis

This doesn't surprise me, but I think it is good that people will read about it and some newspapers in Britain are saying positive things about Autism.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:55 pm

I was please that she chose to come out about her Asperger's. The more NT's see real examples, the less xenophobia (I hope). Britain seems generally ahead of the US regarding ASD matters.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 6:30 pm

I had a feeling she might have Aspergers I read her book and some of the things that happened to her as a child made me think she did.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

I had always assumed she was autistic. Even if it took awhile, I'm glad she came out.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:22 pm

Funny I was just thinking about her the other day and wondering if she had it. I could tell from her interviews. I am glad that she is open about it. I like her music very much and I am so happy for her success.

Wreck It Ralph

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2013, 10:58 pm

She is such a talented woman.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 12:21 am

I think it's great that she came out with it. Britain seems to be more open about autism than the US and Canada.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 12:22 am

I think it's great that she came out with it. Britain seems to be more open about autism than the US and Canada.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 2:24 am

That definitely explains why during her breakout performance in 2009, she finished her song and proceeded to just walk offstage before even receiving any feedback from the judges; she was finished with what she came to do, and that was that, no need to hang about letting people cheer for her :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

RoastAlmond
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2013, 2:58 am

skibum wrote:
Funny I was just thinking about her the other day and wondering if she had it. I could tell from her interviews. I am glad that she is open about it. I like her music very much and I am so happy for her success.

What sort of things did you notice in her interviews? Just curious. :P

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 5:24 am

she is very talented though always knew there was something different about her thought it was mosaic down syndrome though as she has the features.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 8:20 am

Makes sense to me.

Hopefully it will give people something to talk about, other than Adam Lanza.

Wonder if I'll see that on Grandma's "Oh My God" radar this morning...

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2013, 9:45 am

I had no clue.

ds1313
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2013, 9:51 am

StarTrekker wrote:
That definitely explains why during her breakout performance in 2009, she finished her song and proceeded to just walk offstage before even receiving any feedback from the judges; she was finished with what she came to do, and that was that, no need to hang about letting people cheer for her :)

Was the Asperger's diagnosis necessary for this understanding? I always thought it was quite obvious that she was neurologically abnormal and therefore prone to odd behavior. I would've assumed based on her appearance alone, based on her characteristic facial dysmorphology.

What I really find interesting is that her "condition" was described as "brain damage", again given the dysmorphology. I can't help but think of how, in certain parts of the world, there is greater shame associated with conditions of a primarily genetic or inborn nature than there is with conditions of a primarily environmental nature. Is there something like that at play here? Susan was born in the early 1960s, at a time when the diagnostic landscape was muddled and bleak. Perhaps there was no oxygen deprivation at all.

At any rate, I don't see how her odd behavior can be understood in terms of Asperger's but not brain damage.

safetystephen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2013, 12:58 pm

That is soooooo awesome!! !! !! She's my new hero!! !! Love her! Time to download her Christmas album post-haste!! !! !!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 3:08 pm

Huh. I thought she was Aspie to begin with. And she's just now come out?

Well, chalk up another success for my Aspiedar.

I do hope people buy her music. I don't think she's as popular a singer now as we thought she would be when we first heard her, but I really hope she keeps on singing. I think she'd do great in musicals--but maybe that's just because her breakout song was from Les Miserables. Maybe she's better at other stuff, I dunno. I don't really keep up with popular music...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com