Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2013, 10:38 pm

Right, so as aspies we're supposed to be highly systematised, and constantly systematising things, right?

I do.

But I'm super disorganised, I always have been, and I've been trying to work out why.

Whenever I try and "get organised", I end up paralysed. It seems to stem from not being able to categorise something. Then another thing. Then I end up with a pile. Somewhere in the process I get overwhelmed.

My theory is that the inability to systematise/categorise something gets my brain caught in a loop that eventually overwhelms the processes needed to systematise something.

...and that's why I'm disorganised.

Stupid idea? Good idea? Bleedingly obvious idea?

"I'm regenerating now. Regenerating's cool!" - the final words of the Eleventh

AQ: 41

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 10:47 pm

That's exactly how I am, too. You described it very well.

I think I want to be absolutely perfectly organized and systematic, but because it's usually very hard to achieve, I end up being overwhelmed, paralyzed and disorganized. My indecisiveness also doesn't help.

When I do successfully systematize things, it's perfect. It seldom happens though.

nomadder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2013, 11:01 pm

Interesting question. I can really relate to what you're saying about feeling paralyzed and getting stuck on not being able to categorize something.

I wonder if the problem comes from trying to organize or systemize things that have emotional value or consequences. I read something once about how hoarders had trouble with decision making only when it came to making decisions about things that emotional value to them. For example, on a task sorting out junk mail - their own or someone elses - they only had trouble with decision making on their own junk mail. They were prone to attaching emotional value to objects.

I think the emotional processing component of decision making can easily result in endless loops... The cognitive and emotional processing has to work in tandem.

AQ 23/50, EQSQ-R EQ 34 SQ 93 (Extreme Systemizer)

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 10:09 am

That sounds about right. Now, throw in having to deal with 2 other people's disorganization--one of whom doesn't understand that you have a problem and thinks you're just lazy and the other of whom is 5YO with a PDD-NOS diagnosis and probable ADHD--and you've got the reason my trash is always overflowing, there are no clean towels, none of the clean laundry is put away, only half of the dishes are done, there are spiderwebs and dog hair everywhere, etc..

I'll never forget the first time my DH came to where I work. He was astonished that my desk was so neat. That's because I don't have anybody else around to screw up my system.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 8:02 am

So you get an OverFlow error or in an infinite loop? :P

Sometimes there isn't enough physical space to classify thing and some things have multiple categories.
I think my disorganization is due to my family's hands on my stuff.

Add: I need organization, order, because chaos overwhelms me and makes me feel anxious and fretful.

Last edited by neobluex on 15 Dec 2013, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2013, 9:00 am

I'm big on systemization; lists and things of that nature. But. I'm somewhat disorganized. I'm not exactly a neat freak. My desk at work is a mess, but yet it's still part of the system.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 10:13 am

I love systemising - ive discovered that im great at deducing the rules governing systems (synthesisers in this case). It took me about 5 mins to get FM8 down and it was my first foray into hybrid additive/Fm synthesis. Im not bragging btw - ive spent hours reading tutorials on synths so I have the fundamentals down.

My room swings between utter chaos and total serial organisation. However when I cant find a category for something there it remains and the mess mounts.