Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

saf3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2013, 2:49 am

I know that heightened senses and sensory issues are a common effect of Asperger's. Is it possible that skin allergies could also be related? I've always been extremely sensitive to clothing tags, certain materials and people touching me, but I'm also allergic to almost anything you put on your skin. Allergic reactions range from a simple red shade to anaphylactic shock. I test everything on a small portion of skin before trusting any lotion or other product.

Any ideas or thoughts?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 3:01 am

I haven't noticed anything recurrent, but I I've had the odd adverse reaction to something I touched. Keep in mind some allergies apply to everyone, case in point, urushiol, the nasty component of poison ivy & oak. I've had a few brushes with that, it really sucks...

I think it's definitely possible but not a universal phenomenon, considering the overwhelming supporting evidence saying ASDs are caused by a variety of genetic and physiological factors.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Dynania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2013, 4:23 am

I don't know if I would attribute my skin allergies to having AS. I'm allergic to most laundry soaps, I can only use ones that have no dye or perfume in them like All Clear. But everybody in my family is the same and I and my younger sister are the only ones on the spectrum.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2013, 11:22 am

I don't know if it is an AS thing but I have the same issue. Allergic to pretty much everything. And you know what I really hate? I don't know if they do this where you live but at the mall here they have people in the aisles selling lotion and skin products and they will literally grab you to give you samples. I don't know how it is legal, but a few years back a lady grabbed me by the arm to tell me about some scented lotion and she had it all over her hands. By the time I managed to get loose I had a red, swelling, itchy handprint on my forearm. She saw it and continued with her sales pitch, and then asked if I wanted to buy any for half off. I held up my arm and said "What do you think?! Just what you have on your hands was enough to break me out!"

I swear, she looked at me and said "Well, what about for a gift?"

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 2:38 pm

I'm allergic to parabens, which are in just about every lotion, shampoo, shower gel, make-up product, sticky substance on medical tape... I'm only allergic to parabens (and a group of food preservatives chemically related to them), as far as I know. But, as they are just about everywhere, it would seem like I'm allergic to loads of stuff.

It would be worthwhile getting tested to find out what specific substances you are allergic to, then you'll know what to avoid. Paraben allergy is not all that uncommon. It could be that or some other substance that's just as omnipresent. It's possible to avoid them, once you know what you're dealing with. You might need to restrict yourself to specific soaps, etc. Please remember that hypoallergenic products are not always the best option, e.g. I've found that they contain parabens. You might end up going down the organic route (although organic stuff sometimes contains parabens and these other allergenic chemicals, as they can be organic in origin).

I actually avoided going to a fund raising event for autism at the weekend, as it was a 'girly day out' where the stall holders would be trying to sell loads of these products. I'd love to have shown my support, as I'm a volunteer with the charity and really should have shown face, but I didn't want something sprayed in my face, as that would have ruined my day.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2013, 3:50 pm

The coarse fibres of real wool irritate me. I once had a real wool scarf, and my neck was as itchy as anything. I had to get rid of it in the end as I couldn't wear it, but it looked so nice.
And perfumed shower gels make me really itchy as well, so I have to use the 'pure' ones.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 2:06 pm

I once had a bad reaction to some medicines I was taking for bronchitis a few years ago....I was literally covered from head to toe in hives, and the soles of my feet felt like they were swelling up. My skin also gets itchy and inflamed really easily when I'm anxious or my skin rubs against certain fabrics for too long. Once when I was at my grandparents' farm riding a gas-powered go-kart during the summer (when it was hot out) and I got off, my back felt really itchy from the vinyl seat and my shirt chafing against my back. My aunt told me to let her look and she said that my back looked red and splotchy, like I had an allergy. I dabbed some cold water on my back and the itching and redness went away, but my aunt thought it would be best if I didn't go-kart anymore that day.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

I don't think I have any actual skin allergies, but I do have very sensitive skin and am prone to getting rashes. I can't use antibacterial soap without getting a rash after more than one or two uses, and makeup makes me itch like crazy (even "sensitive" makeup). I've also had a few bad reactions to certain shampoos (itchy scalp, so bad that I will scratch until it bleeds).

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:20 pm

I have sensitive skin as well. I can relate to this post. I am allergic to wool. I always use as few dyes and chemicals as possible when doing laundry.