Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:22 am

I don't know if ''contradicting'' is the correct word, but I have found that I am a very contrary person in some ways. I may hate A, but then B can be just as bad as A but I have no problem with B. Or X may stress me out, but Y is even more stressful than X but I am happy with Y. Is this part of what Asperger's is all about, or what?

A couple of weeks ago I went to my uncle's, and he has a big dog with a very loud bark. There was fireworks banging outside in the distance, and I have been told before that this dog dislikes fireworks and has been known to bark at them. So knowing this, I sat there on edge, jumping at every other noise because my brain thought anything what reached my ears was the dog barking, because it was playing on my mind, and I was making the person sitting next to me unnerved. I had to apologize and say that I dislike loud sudden noises like a dog barking. But just last week my family were talking about visiting a haunted cave or something like that (like a tour thing for people that are interested in supernatural stuff). I'm very interested in supernatural stuff and would love to go, as it would be a nice experience for me and also finally doing something I would really enjoy. So I said, ''oh, I would love to come with you!'' But then my family all looked at me and my uncle said, ''you wouldn't want to come, there might be loud sudden noises there, and I thought you hated that.'' And my mum agreed, and they all continued talking about it, and I felt so left out.

You see, some loud noises I can handle and some I can't. I can handle fireworks, even when I'm right near them. But I don't know how to explain this type of thing to people. They just think that if I hate one noise, I'm going to hate every noise. Do you get these accusations or interrogations? What is the best explanation to give when in this type of situation?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

WHAT? TRANSLATE PLEASE.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:44 am

it sounds like it might be the highly common comorbid to ASD; hyperacusis,which is sensitivity to sounds of certain frequencies-and that bit depends on each individual,or it coud be misophobia which is very similar to hyperacusis and an ASD comorbid but if remember correctly its a hatred of specific sounds.
unfortunately it is very difficult to explain any hearing issue if it isnt to do with a lack of hearing,all the awareness funds in the UK for hearing issues goes towards deafness and tinitus.

woud recommend a visit to the gp just before the next time any time locals will be setting off fireworks-such as the chinese new year or bonfire night,explain the anxiety are experiencing and he may prescribe a temperary medication for PRN use such as the *pam group of drugs,wioud also recommend getting some head phones on and downloading all the binaural beats music available and use this when stressed or whatever-its a type of music/sound which activates specific brain waves and makes the person experience less anxiety, depression etc,it only works with the use of headphones though because it changes frequencies in each ear.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:45 am

Joe90 wrote:
You see, some loud noises I can handle and some I can't. I can handle fireworks, even when I'm right near them. But I don't know how to explain this type of thing to people. They just think that if I hate one noise, I'm going to hate every noise. Do you get these accusations or interrogations? What is the best explanation to give when in this type of situation?

I know exactly what you mean. I jump at sirens and motorbike noises but then other noises such as fireworks don't bother me.

Just tell them that it's not all noises that bother you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:48 am

Certain noises bother me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:59 am

Could it be a psychological thing that you can tolerate certain noises but not others? Or is it simply the type of noise that you can't tolerate?

I'm having a serious problem with the noise of running cars (mostly engine noise). However, I can tolerate the noise of trains. They both come from about the same distance. I think the metallic noise of the trains are far more tolerable than the vibrating noise of the car engine. Or is it psychological? I don't know.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm

Myself, I love the sound of trains. They seem to make noise at a comforting frequency for me. Highway noise or airport noise I hate. It has to be a frequency thing. I love the sounds of chickens and ducks, and hate dog barking. I don't think I've heard of anybody liking dog barking. Though I'm betting SOMEBODY on WP does.

RollingPandaArt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

I understand that contradicting part. For me I am a pessimist and a realist. I like to take the contrary side to all issues when thinking inside my head. This however is irritating to people when I communicate verbally with them. No one wants to talk to people who play devils advocate.

I have also been called a contrarian. Not sure if that is even a word. It is one of the traits about myself that bothers be most.

ziarah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm

I can't handle certain loud high-pitched noises, whether it's a siren, beep, bell, saxophone or my child whining, but really enjoy a lot of loud low noises like thunder or trains. Also, I adore loud heavy metal music, but I think that's partly because it's so structured and vibrant.

Mrmisunderstood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm

I don't have problem with noise. In fact one of my hobbies is Fireworks. Put on my own shows and go to consumer Fireworks Convention every year.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:40 pm

Just say there are specific noises you can't stand.

I can't stand balloons popping.

I hate loud eaters.

That sound that your feet make when you are wearing flip flops annoys me.

Flies or mosquitos or bees buzzing.

Specific noises, not all noises grate on my nerves. It looks like dogs barking is one of the noises you can't stand.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm

I would agree that it's the frequency rather than just any loud noise - certainly is in my son's case.

Edit - just clarifying that I mean frequency as in pitch not regularity

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm

Noise like say, girls screaming, vacuum cleaner, car alarms, that kinda stuff getting gets on my nerves and drains my mental energy.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:11 pm

I think this is a common thing, though am not sure if it has anything to do with Autism, as it seems to be more of a personality thing (which actually might have something to do with Autism!). I'm generally an indoors person. I hate bugs, I hate getting wet, and I hate physical labor. A camping trip would be a sensory issue nightmare for me. I have enough trouble going for walks around my neighborhood in the warmer seasons, due to sweating and spider webs dangling from trees getting in my face. However, strangely, I like the idea of camping and hiking in the wilderness. I think nature is beautiful and I like the idea of exploring it, either in solitude or with a significant other perhaps. A hiking endeavor -- where we take intermittent breaks after a few hours and eventually set up camp for the night, hang out by the fire, etc -- sounds like it would be a lot of fun in theory. In practice, however, I can just imagine that I would be very uncomfortable, constantly fatigued, homesick, and paranoid of bears and what not attacking us. It does seem contradictory, but it's just a common case of 'meta-wanting' that all humans experience at some point. I want to want to enjoy such a thing.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD