Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 4:48 am

I thought I would share this because it is kinda interesting and amusing.
This took place on one of the big teen discussion forums im on.
Derrick is an aspie and Domo is a moderator.

Derrick; Long story short, I read that if you're nice to people you shouldn't expect kindness in return. That made my head spin. If being nice doesn't win you kindness than what does?

Domo; Geeze, who taught you manners?

Derryck; I have aspergers for your information. These things don't come naturally to me. Get it now??

Domo; Have you been diagnosed by a doctor?

Derryck; Indeed ._.

Domo; Well you must be very high functioning. You type very nicely.

Ezra; You should pay a visit to the Wrong Planet autism community discussion boards - we will amaze you :wink:

Last edited by EzraS on 11 Jan 2014, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 4:55 am

Stuff like this comes up all the time. People think aspies are deficient because of lagging social graces.

Thank you for helping to turn that perspective around! (and, it would seem, for standing up for Derrick!)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 5:03 am

I really like doing autism awareness there.
People who know me on those boards initially had trouble accepting that I was autistic because of how well I wrote.
tbh kinda like, "you don't strike me as a kid who drools all over his keyboard". :lol:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 6:44 am

I have a similar story of someone's total ignorance of what HFA is. I live in a building that used to be sheltered housing for the elderly and especially those who are vulnerable in some way, mostly because of a mental or physical condition or disorder. They had wardens to watch over and be aware of the care of these tenants.

The building is now open to all ages, including people with no issues. However, they still employ "wardens" to take care and watch over some of the elderly people who still live here.

You would think these wardens -- who are very experienced and have been here for donkey's years -- would have at least an advanced working knowledge of a wide ranged of possible conditions or disorders, right? They must surely have had at least one person on the spectrum here.

But when I was chatting with one of them and she happened to mention the strange behavior of a tenant (which is not really appropriate for her to discuss and gossip about with me, but unfortunately that's another problem that goes on here) I suggested to her: "Well, perhaps she may be on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum and this caused that behavior?"

The warden's reply: "Oh, no no, she's intelligent when you talk to her." 8O

I was so stunned I didn't even have the presence of mind to say what I should have said: "Uh, yes, being of normal intelligence, and coming across as such, is in fact what the "high functioning" part of "high functioning autism" means...."

I'm poor at responding quickly and "thinking on my feet" especially when something astonishes me. But I wish I had tried to educate her. I was just so shocked that she works in a position that almost has a nurse-like capacity to it yet she is apparently unaware of autism spectrum disorders and what they mean.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

11 Jan 2014, 9:52 am

here is how much normal people know about it... nobody told me... apparently I have nothing of the sort, because I can carry on a conversation, and I am a mechanical genius. apparently, because I can fix anything on a car or a motorcycle, etc. and tweak a race car, or motorcycle to run like the wind, even though I cannot keep a job, or a relationship, and everyone tells me im weird, or strange. I could not learn myself out of things, I care not to talk about until I was in the middle of elementary school. etc,etc... I have nothing of the sort.