Page 1 of 18 [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 2:44 pm

if anyone is against their evil antics, please join: https://www.facebook.com/boycottautismspeaksnow

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2013, 3:37 pm

I "liked it". Hope to see Autism Speaks crash and burn.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm

i hope so too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 5:48 pm

I've also Liked the page. :twisted:

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2013, 5:57 pm

My parents were the most intelligent because they've never had to "boycott" anything. They have never liked Autism Speaks or other autism organization and have always thought they were useless money-sucker groups of people (expecially my father).
Why this?
My father-a lot of AS traits; has never received any professional help, except being told he might have had Asperger's once and schizoid PD twice, he never believed he could have those things and still thinks he doesn't;
My brother-severe autism; has never received any help except from my parents;
Me-diagnosed with ADD since the age of 6 and then diagnosed with ADD and Asperger's at 13; never did any useful or productive therapy; if I have improved, it's thanks to my parents, karate and myself.
So yeah, no wonder people in my family have never trusted those people.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 6:00 pm

i don't know if you know how bad Speaks is

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

why?

what makes them evil?

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 6:08 pm

they advocate a cure and prevention of autism, write poems that claim we are "not living" and are "born to ruin marriages"

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:12 pm

Well God forbid there should be a cure! A pill to make us able to understand subtle nuances and to be able to easily develop social skills and even to stop misunderstanding so many things and taking them literally would certainly be no help! It would only create havoc, as it is obviously from Satan himself!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 6:13 pm

you've come to the right place, where we protest speaks' sponsors. we got Panera Bread to drop Speaks

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:20 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
they advocate a cure and prevention of autism, write poems that claim we are "not living" and are "born to ruin marriages"

I'm all for the former; especially given what I've written here on wp in the thread linked in my signature. I've contacted Autism Speaks about it and they replied and informed me that they continue to finance research in the area of gut dysbiosis. I offered to provide any info/help I can to whomever it'll help as well as emailed the research doctor that conducted the study on probiotic treatments in mice. Autism speaks sounds like a valuable organization on that front.

But the latter... claiming that we're "not living," and are "born to ruin marriages," is pretty downright rude and nasty stuff. Must be a bunch of Aspies themselves if they're oblivious to the offence that saying things like that is bound to cause. Meh, ah well, at least they're doing good work on finding treatments/cures/preventions, so if we have to put up with a little bit of assholery in the process, so be it, it's a means to an end.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 6:22 pm

but why would you want a cure? autism is such a great gift. oliveoilmom made a great point.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:27 pm

Because Autism symptoms were (past tense) destroying my entire life, that's why. Read the long post & locked thread in my signature. I've been treating myself via mostly diet for the last several months and have reduced my symptoms by more than 95%, allowing me to get back to work and life. Everyone in my life has noticed massive improvements all around. I don't mind keeping some of the good traits if they stick around, like being able to do math lightning quick, or visual thinking for problem solving, or my memory for facts and statistics etc but the debilitating traits were ruining my entire life and I'm glad to be rid of them.

And I'm very sure oliveoilmom was being facetious and you took her literally due to your own aspie nature.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:27 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
but why would you want a cure? autism is such a great gift. oliveoilmom made a great point.

You obviously did not at all understand the sarcasm that I am not supposed to be able to understand either, but I do.

I was being sarcastic. It's not a gift, it's a pain in the goddamned ass is what it is. We can't fix it and of course people shouldn't treat us differently because of it, but things would be a hell of a lot easier for all of us if we didn't have to deal with it. If there was a cure, I'd take it I a heartbeat. It wouldn't change who I am, just how I'm able to process things. I'd still be me, but I'd be a lot faster on the uptake.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 6:29 pm

what on earth??????? but i'm on the spectrum, you don't know what it's like for us so you can't say it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:36 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
what on earth??????? but i'm on the spectrum, you don't know what it's like for us so you can't say it.

I'm on it too. AS, diagnosed by a professional. When I was in my 40's and had learned how to deal with the world already. So yeah, I can say it. It's a big ole pain in the ass. I wish I didn't have it. But I learned to deal.

Say you grew up on a peanut farm in Georgia and you are allergic to peanuts. Your whole childhood was spent making sure you not only didn't get the peanuts, which were everywhere, but that you didn't come into contact with peanuts, which were everywhere. Is the problem you are facing because you are on a peanut farm, or because there are peanuts there? No, you have the problem because you have a peanut allergy! There isn't anything wrong with you because of it, and of course you should take every precaution to avoid coming into contact with nuts, but your allergy is what causes you to have the problems with your environment. Just like the AS causes us to have the problems with our environment. Unlike with the peanut farm, we can't move somewhere else where things are different. We have to learn how to deal every day. The allergy is what gives the kid with the allergy trouble, just like AS is what gives us trouble.

If it's a "gift" then I want the damn receipt so I can go get my money back, or at least store credit for something else.