Problems keeping diaries and losing things

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 3:22 am

The therapist told me to keep a diary. I asked her to write what she wanted me to diary about on a piece of paper. I lost the piece of paper and I can remember exactly what she said.

Anyone else have any similar problems in terms of losing things and not remembering what people tell them to do exactly?

I see the homework side of the therapy may not go well :lol:

It was something to do with social stuff but I can't remember what specifically. Aside from which my brain doesn't want to process it (may be a bit depressed right now as my brain is refusing to play ball with me and doesn't want to know. It just seems to want to sleep). I know my mood is low but my brain won't have anything at the minute in terms of having to process things even if I try and motivate myself. It is stubborn.

Maybe at some point I will remember :idea: . Who knows. Right now I just get something more like this 8O 8O when I think about it.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 3:34 am

Write about the experience of forgetting what she/ he told you to write. I believe this would be better than not writing anything, and will probably still provide useful data.

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2014, 7:08 am

It's common for me. Not only do I need to write down what people tell me, I need to keep a list of things I want to do. Quite often I have a skill of remembering what I want to do once it's passed the appropriate time (going out to buy some things and then remembering one or two items when I get back).

I am also good at losing things. I lost my coat over the weekend (Second time in about 18 months) as just a recent example!

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:15 am

I've kept a diary for years and sometimes it helps to look back and see what improvements I've made over time.

One thing that may help when it comes to losing stuff. Find a reasonably large box and put it in one corner of your bedroom. Each time you find something that you had been looking for for ages put it in the box, and the next time you're looking for stuff try the box first. Mine has screwdriver bits, odd socks, the USB lead for my iPod and some car paperwork.

Eccles

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:35 am

bumble wrote:
The therapist told me to keep a diary. I asked her to write what she wanted me to diary about on a piece of paper. I lost the piece of paper and I can remember exactly what she said.

Anyone else have any similar problems in terms of losing things and not remembering what people tell them to do exactly?

I see the homework side of the therapy may not go well :lol:

It was something to do with social stuff but I can't remember what specifically. Aside from which my brain doesn't want to process it (may be a bit depressed right now as my brain is refusing to play ball with me and doesn't want to know. It just seems to want to sleep). I know my mood is low but my brain won't have anything at the minute in terms of having to process things even if I try and motivate myself. It is stubborn.

Maybe at some point I will remember :idea: . Who knows. Right now I just get something more like this 8O 8O when I think about it.

Yeah, I lose things too. Especially papers with dumb assignments, that I have zero interest in doing, written by my therapist. Oops sorry, I think I lost that paper. :shrug:

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:41 am

I can't write a diary. One reason is that I wouldn't because a diary is supposed to be private but it is inevitable that someone will find it and read it.

If a therapist told my to write a diary I wouldn't know what to write in it. I wouldn't be able to write about feelings and I don't do much so I wouldn't understand what they even want. It would read something like "Today I played video games all day. My cat did (insert cute/annoying cat thing here) today."

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2014, 2:10 pm

Once a therapist asked me to keep a diary.
I tried, but after the second day I got bored and also I forgot to write about a lot of days and there was a gap of 4-5 days between the first day and the second so I just gave up.
I have always thought keeping diaries was useless. I don't understand why mother likes to keep diaries.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:13 pm

Stannis wrote:
Write about the experience of forgetting what she/ he told you to write. I believe this would be better than not writing anything, and will probably still provide useful data.

As a therapist myself, I concur that this is a fabulous idea.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 12:08 am

Losing things is a "skill" I am quite good at. I am just glad that my head comes attached to the rest of my body or I would have lost it a long time ago.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 1:02 am

I get forgetful when I am anxious. That's when I usually lose stuff. I am also very unorganized.

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 9:48 am

I misplace things frequently. Mostly pens, my cellphone and my iPod. I leave my iPod at work at least 3 times a week.