Too many problems to deserve to live?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2018, 2:05 pm

Does anyone have those passing thought? Like you are not good enough?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 2:13 pm

I used to think like that too. I thought there were people like me and the happy ones living a full life. But when you mention everyone else you're not including millions of people who have untreatable diseases, mental illnesses, people who live with a guilty conscience etc. In my opinion it's not up to anyone else who deserves to live. And life's not meant to be a happy wonderland anyway. Even if it was it's going to end someday so it's not worth thinking these things over. Those are just my personal thoughts!

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2018, 2:44 pm

I just don't like it when some therapist tells you how to live and how you should live, as if there's some passing codes in order to enter "life"

To me it seems life is a lose-lose. I don't see a way to win - no relationships, no romantic relationship
Also considering the fact that what's the point of having kids when according to the diagnosis I'm gonna have difficulties raising social kids when the world is entering an ever-pacing phase where you will have to be very prepared for every moment?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 3:12 pm

Your therapist is Really weird if she's shaming you for not having lots of friends or relationships knowing you have autism. This doesn't make any sense to me at all. I live in a country where mental health awareness is very low but even my therapist doesn't expect these things from me. Also your worth as a person doesn't have anything to do with how many relationships you have. You're a perfectly valuable person even if you have never had a friend or a girlfriend.
In my opinion relationships will come on their own if they're meant to happen. If they don't it's not something you can control. So i guess what i'm saying is you can relax a little and not try so hard all the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 3:14 pm

I used to think of myself in negative terms, until I realized that it was my own negative attitudes about myself that were holding me back.

Nowadays, I think negative thoughts only about other people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 3:31 pm

Pillar wrote:
I just don't like it when some therapist tells you how to live and how you should live, as if there's some passing codes in order to enter "life"

Some therapist? It sounds like you don't entirely feel comfortable with the therapist you are seeing.

Instead of asking strangers on the internet what to do about that, how about if you discuss with the therapist how their style makes you feel. ANY good therapist should be trained to be comfortable with a client wanting to discuss the therapy relationship itself, and how you might improve your comfort zone.

Here is how therapy is SUPPOSED to work: you trust the therapist to take you places where you yourself are not comfortable going. You trust them to help and support you while you are taking steps to change your life, which can be very scary.

If you can't reach that level of comfort with your therapist, and discussing it with them doesn't help, then either you have the wrong therapist, or you are someone therapy can never help. But I suggest you work on achieving some trust, with this or any other therapist you are working with, and then maybe you will make progress.

Good luck.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jun 2018, 3:59 pm

I felt like I didn't deserve to live when I was depressed. I felt like a burden to my parents(they made me feel more like one cuz they were NOT understanding & resented me still living with them) & I felt like a burden to the government cuz I was on SSI. I was doing my very best to find a job & be more independent & have a romantic realtionship but it seemed liked the odds were stacked against me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 6:32 pm

I never feel that way---even when I'm down.

The reason: it's not my fault that I'm alive! My mother and father conceived me. My mother gave birth. Here I am, 57 years later.

Who determines whether you "deserve" to live? If anybody has determined that I don't deserve to live----then I think that person is delusional---because his person thinks he/she is God.

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2018, 7:41 pm

Just to make it clear - they are not a therapist I am seeing anymore
I am also confused about the idea of discomfort - aren't I supposed to go to places where I know will serve my comfort better? Not that I want to sit around doing nothing, quite the opposite - to pace around the world easily, however I feel it is limited by my social disabilities, which I sense they are from the cause of my upbringing

How has your life been when you started treatment? Have things gotten better?

I am sometimes unsure if therapy can help me or not. I want to find the best way for it to help, but it seems nothing will please my parents. Come to think of it, I am not really doing it for my parents. I am doing it because I have no choice - they are not supporting me well enough for me to thrive in the future. I wanted to volunteer and be on my way for a productive career. However, circumstances have come to such condition that I am unable to do so

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 8:23 pm

Pillar wrote:
Just to make it clear - they are not a therapist I am seeing anymore
I am also confused about the idea of discomfort - aren't I supposed to go to places where I know will serve my comfort better? Not that I want to sit around doing nothing, quite the opposite - to pace around the world easily, however I feel it is limited by my social disabilities, which I sense they are from the cause of my upbringing

How has your life been when you started treatment? Have things gotten better?

I am sometimes unsure if therapy can help me or not. I want to find the best way for it to help, but it seems nothing will please my parents. Come to think of it, I am not really doing it for my parents. I am doing it because I have no choice - they are not supporting me well enough for me to thrive in the future. I wanted to volunteer and be on my way for a productive career. However, circumstances have come to such condition that I am unable to do so

I started treatment for severe anxiety and depression and it helped me A LOT. My therapist mainly helps with my self-esteem issues and anxiety and helps me think rationally. She also supports me whether i choose to work or not.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 8:41 pm

Pillar wrote:

See ... This is why I don't even bother with therapy. Whoever this twisted piece of anal crust is that told you this doesn't deserve that profession and should change careers

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

The reason: it's not my fault that I'm alive! My mother and father conceived me. My mother gave birth. Here I am, 57 years later.

Exactly! When I'm feeling down and I wish I'd never been born I blame my parents!

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2018, 9:03 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Exactly! When I'm feeling down and I wish I'd never been born I blame my parents!

While I do not blame my parents for being born, I blame them for their treatment towards me, and how they could've pushed me into much greater heights in life had they really wanted to

ScottieKarate
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2018, 9:21 pm

I'm reminded of a quote from Van Wilder and someone Hubbard: "Don't take life too seriously...you'll never make it out alive."

It sucks that there are such things as crappy therapists and way worse that there are such things as crappy parents. Here's the thing tho...all these social norms and rules and expectations....screw 'em.

You only get one life, and it will be how you make it. So make it how you want to, or at least as close as you can. All you really have is your happiness and the legacy you leave behind. If you want a mate, find one. Find one on the internet if you have to. That's how most relationships start these days anyways. Find someone that wants to make a baby, if you want a baby. Are you worried about someone judging you for having a baby? Why? It isn't their life. If you want to have a baby in your one chance at life, have a baby. Have two. By the time your baby is born, so many kids are going to be on the spectrum that it won't even be a thing.

Your post kind of had a "meaning to life" vibe to it. I'm afraid if that is what you're searching for, you're going to be searching a long time. We're just beings that live and then we are gone. It is depressing, but there is way too much funny stuff I see every day to make me not want to be here. At the end, you don't want to have a lot of "shoulda coulda woulda's." Live life on your terms.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 12:02 pm

I'm good enough for me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 4:56 pm

I used to think thoughts like those.
I don't anymore.
I have problems, but not too many to deserve to live.
Too many to ever have a partner/relationship.
But not too many to deserve to live.
So, I'll keep living & doing things.