Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

steverogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2014, 3:01 am

Before I begin, I don't mean those of us who still enjoy children's TV shows, books and films, or even those of us who still play with toys (I rarely do, but I still like to build Lego models from time to time) or those of us who have tried to move out of our parents homes and get jobs, but failed.

Rather I mean Manchildren like Chris Chan, who out of their own choice spend all day being idiots, playing computer games and toys, all while leaching of the taxpayer and/or their family's and throwing temper tantrums when they can't have what they want.

I have known a number of such manchildren in my time, and while some of them were (or are) harmless and know how to at in the real world and do not live in their own little fantasy worlds (although they, and also I, do enjoy fantasy) and do stupid things like attacking people who ban them from stores (like Chris Chan did) or preaching bigoted views as if they were 'normal' things to express in public.

However a number of manchildren I have known (not including those I have discovered via the internet) are frankly lazy, spoiled, totally lacking in any kind of self awareness or the importance of making others happy and are unwilling to change.

One such person (who we shall call Susan) I knew a few years ago was almost like a female version of Chris Chan!

Granted she was a lot cleaner and she did not (as far as I'm aware) have bigoted views, though she could be quite resentful of individuals whom she felt 'wronged' her, but she was (very) fat (and had no desire to change, even when her health was at stake) had poor social skills (as she would always moan and complain that people treated her badly or that her sister had no time for her as Susan 'had a learning disability') in-spite of the fact she was perfectly verbal and could hold down a part time job.

On top of that she still lived with her poor aged parents as she felt that she could avoid paying rent that way, and that she did not have to maintain the upkeep of a home.

Also as she had just learned about the human rights act (when I knew her) she felt that if anyone refused to associate with her, she could treat them like dirt, and take them to task for infringing on her 'rights'!

Lastly she wanted (quite desperately) a boyfriend as she had never been in a relationship in her life, and while I knew her I tried to (politely) tell her that she would need to change and 'become what us men like in a woman' but she seemed to ignore my advise, even though I'm sure if she followed it she would have got a boyfriend.

Granted some of this may have been due to the fact that she had something of a poor education and it would seem that her support workers (or 'carers' as they were referred to in her company) did not encourage her to be more independent and that her parents sheltered her a lot, but the fact remains she was a manchild (or rather a girlchild) and a selfish one to boot.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Feb 2014, 3:23 am

This seems like a a series of dog whistles about people who are on benefits.

Terrible form.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 3:41 am

steverogers wrote:
Rather I mean Manchildren like Chris Chan, who out of their own choice spend all day being idiots, playing computer games and toys, all while leaching of the taxpayer and/or their family's and throwing temper tantrums when they can't have what they want.

How do you know it's out of choice?

But anyway, apart from the temper tantrums, that describes me (albeit I help look after the property).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:08 am

steverogers wrote:

Is that really a choice or the limits of his disability?
All sounds kinda judgmental to me.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:59 am

I thought this was going to have to do with Uruk Hai culinary delicacies.

Disappointing to find this twaddle.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 5:43 am

Verdandi wrote:

Terrible form.

agreed. :thumleft:

Quote:
How do you know it's out of choice?

exactly. :thumleft:

Quote:
Is that really a choice or the limits of his disability?
All sounds kinda judgmental to me.

indeed. :thumleft:
chris chan is classic autistic and as tends to be with us;he has less awareness of social rules,less awareness of social boundaries and how he appears to others.

Quote:
I thought this was going to have to do with Uruk Hai culinary delicacies.

Disappointing to find this twaddle.

QFT,indeed. :thumleft:

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

steverogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2014, 6:51 am

As I have said before in the OP, I have no intention to bash people who are on benefits or welfare (as I'm on them myself at present, purely as a means to an end until I can get some more qualifications)

Nor is this intended to bash people who have childlike quality's.

Rather this is intended to point out some of the failings that SOME people who are still on welfare and/or live with their parents are known to have.

Chris Chan, although he clearly has HFA and not AS is aware of at least some of the things he does are wrong and that some of the things he says are offensive, as if you read the 'Sonichu' comics when he come to some of the sexist scenes with regards to his female characters he used to put a 'disclaimer' stating that it wasn't supposed to be sexist, but rather to emphasize the Rosechus 'feminine quality's'

Also in the years he was desperate to lose his (much hated) virginity as far as I'm aware he never once did try to rape some poor girl in order to 'have sex' and maybe attempt use his Autism as a get out of jail free card.

It is also clear that he can plan things out (as evidenced with his many hair brained scams to get back into the Game Place and what not) so he is aware of what he is doing, although he may not be truly aware of how he seems to other.

I hope that's made it clear to you.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 7:58 am

I read the first paragraph thinking that would include me, 'til I realized that would imply I didn't already have a job.

Phew. Dodged that bullet :)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:02 am

steverogers wrote:
Granted she was a lot cleaner and she did not (as far as I'm aware) have bigoted views, though she could be quite resentful of individuals whom she felt 'wronged' her, but she was (very) fat (and had no desire to change, even when her health was at stake) had poor social skills (as she would always moan and complain that people treated her badly or that her sister had no time for her as Susan 'had a learning disability') in-spite of the fact she was perfectly verbal and could hold down a part time job.

What does her being fat have to do with anything? Plus, do some research on how difficult it is to lose weight, particularly over the long term. Only 5% of people who even manage to lose the weight (a much smaller subsection of the people who try) are able to keep it off long-term. You say she has no desire to change, but she may have given up after repeated failure, or she may not know *how* to change. It's also perfectly valid for her to genuinely not want to lose weight (or to not care either way) and it is none of your business if that is the case, and would not reflect in any way on her as a person.

Also, I would like to say that I am extremely verbal (officially tested verbal IQ >99.9th percentile), yet I have had tremendous employment difficulties because of my learning disability. Just because you are verbal doesn't mean that you can't have a genuine disability and employment problems.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:02 am

I live with my mother and don't work and spend most of my time online or playing video games.

It's not really anyone else's business how I live. Maybe that's the way I want to live and maybe I'm not capable of living the way others may think I should live.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:43 am

Verdandi wrote:

Terrible form.

That's what I was thinking. Is the OP autistic?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:52 am

Here's a better question.

What in the world does this have to do with autism?

This is the autism discussion forum.

I can't see anything in the opening post that deals specifically with autism.

Seems this thread is off topic, and may even be FORUM hijacking.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:52 am

steverogers wrote:
As I have said before in the OP, I have no intention to bash people who are on benefits or welfare (as I'm on them myself at present, purely as a means to an end until I can get some more qualifications)

Nor is this intended to bash people who have childlike quality's.

Rather this is intended to point out some of the failings that SOME people who are still on welfare and/or live with their parents are known to have.

Chris Chan, although he clearly has HFA and not AS is aware of at least some of the things he does are wrong and that some of the things he says are offensive, as if you read the 'Sonichu' comics when he come to some of the sexist scenes with regards to his female characters he used to put a 'disclaimer' stating that it wasn't supposed to be sexist, but rather to emphasize the Rosechus 'feminine quality's'

Also in the years he was desperate to lose his (much hated) virginity as far as I'm aware he never once did try to rape some poor girl in order to 'have sex' and maybe attempt use his Autism as a get out of jail free card.

It is also clear that he can plan things out (as evidenced with his many hair brained scams to get back into the Game Place and what not) so he is aware of what he is doing, although he may not be truly aware of how he seems to other.

I hope that's made it clear to you.

Never heard of that Chan guy, but according to you, he has some problems with girls, does some comics, and might be aware of getting to a certain gaming place.

I dont get the link, how that is related to his potential jobskills? O_o

Could you focus on an topic?

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:00 am

There's nothing wrong with liking comics or playing video games, I do that in my spare time but it's not the only thing I do. I do have a job and sometimes I don't feel like leaving the house, so I do that instead.

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2014, 10:57 am

Sethno wrote:
Here's a better question.

What in the world does this have to do with autism?

This is the autism discussion forum.

I can't see anything in the opening post that deals specifically with autism.

Seems this thread is off topic, and may even be FORUM hijacking.

I agree, there is a genuine discussion to be had about people who live off welfare and refuse to get jobs but I can't see the direct link to autism here, I'm sure most autistic people who don't have jobs are either actively seeking them like myself, or unable to hold down a job altogether. Not sure if 'Manchildren' is the best term to use either, considering the OP is quite clear he is aiming at perceived benefit scroungers rather than adults who have child-like qualities.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Feb 2014, 11:57 am

steverogers wrote:
If you have an issue with Chris Chan or anyone else you should speak to them about it instead of trying to involve WP members in speculative criticism of them or their alleged use of benefits.
As many have already noted, this is a judgement or criticism of "failing" people on benefits and it's not acceptable on WP.