Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2014, 11:15 pm

I read that people with ASD have vivid dreams. I have always had dreams that were so real I would wake up screaming or talking or whatever I was just doing in the dream. As an adult I have had a harder time shaking away the bad dreams, they feel so real, even though I know they are not. Often a flashback of the dream will pop up and I will get angry or scared almost involuntarily. Does anyone else "live" their dreams after you wake up?

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2014, 11:35 pm

I don't very often but 3 times in my life I have had dreams that just wouldn't go away. The last one was just a week or so ago. I dreamed that I was at my grandmothers house and was fixing papers to take my son to the doctor. There was someone else there besides me and my grandmother. I didn't know him and he looked like a man but I knew he wasn't. He was something evil... witch/demon/etc... But no one seemed to find him being there odd but me. Anyway, he was acting friendly, but he wanted to know where my son was. I was scared and knew I needed to get away from him quickly. While my grandma was sitting at the table drinking some juice, I burned the papers in the fire because I knew if he/it found them we would never be able to get away from him. As soon as I did, he showed up in the doorway grinning, and my grandma grabbed her stomach and started screaming. I looked over at her juice and it wasn't juice anymore, it was blood. And when she stood up, you could see her stomach swelling. I grabbed her (she is very small and I'm a paramedic so carrying her really isn't difficult) and ran outside for the car, but as I started to put her in my truck, she screamed again, blood pouring from her mouth, and went limp. I knew she was dead. And he/it was standing on the porch still grinning. I put her body in the truck and drove off into the dark, but when I looked up in the rear view mirror, I saw him in the back of the truck just sitting there comfortably. That's when I woke up screaming so loud I woke my sister up.

I don't usually have dreams like that. The last one was 4 years ago when I dreamed I was driving home from my son's funeral. I remember that it was a closed casket because whatever happened was so bad. This was right after a seriously bad car wreck at work. There was no traumatic precursor to this one though. HAven't worked any major trauma in a long time. I don't know what brought this on...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm

inachildsmind wrote:
Often a flashback of the dream will pop up and I will get angry or scared almost involuntarily. Does anyone else "live" their dreams after you wake up?

I often live them in the sense that I rerun them in my mind, but it's seldom that nightmares can make me scared for a long time, it's usually just immediately. There were two nightmares that stayed with me for a while, and one of them is still hard to think about.
I have never woken up screaming, but I have woken up gasping and bolted up in a sitting position. I have also woken up and for a few but very long seconds wondered if that really happened before realizing it was just a dream. A few times I have completed a movement upon waking up. One of those times it had me slamming my thumb against the commode and hurt my nail.

Usually a dream will stay with me for a little while before the day begins.

My dreams are usually very vivid and I love dreams. They are fun and a great inspiration for writing, even the nightmares can be used for that and to draw on.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:02 am

plenty of times dreams stay with me and can effect the rest of my day

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:52 am

I used to have very vivid dreams of being trapped in a dingy dirty lavatory where there were spider webs everywhere crawling with bugs trapped and predatory. I was armed only with a little whisk broom that was fraying. the bugs were multiplying and massed in the thousands, and had me cornered and were crawling all over me and biting me and getting in my ears and eyes and nose and mouth, and my whisk broom was useless to fend them off. I would awaken with a start, sweating and all shook up. an alternate to this dream was one where I was trapped in the same dingy dirty lavatory but instead of bugs all the toilets were flooding and I was up to my eyes in stinky sewage, and the sewage/turds were getting into my eyes/nose/ears/mouth/hair, and it felt and smelled and tasted horrible.

Last edited by auntblabby on 16 Feb 2014, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stitched
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2014, 1:01 am

i've had extremely vivid and realistic dreams since i was a child. I've woken up crying, and have made faint screams at times as well. I still have a vivid dream at least once a week, sometimes up to 3-4 times a week, just depends on my mood.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 7:29 am

I once had a dream where I was a soldier in a battle, and I kept getting shot & killed over & over & over again.
I felt every bullet wound.
I woke up right after being shot for the last time and I frantically put my hands on my torso checking to see if I had actually been shot before the feeling faded away.
It was very disconcerting.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 11:39 am

I think my dreams are written by Thomas Pyncheon.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 11:43 am

I currently have a sleep disorder so I pretty much don't dream

my partner said my dreams/nightmares were so bad at times of stress that sometimes she had to sleep elsewhere just for safety she would only come back to comfort me when I woke screaming

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 11:44 am

My dreams do stay with me when I wake up.

If I have a nightmare it can actually effect me all day after.

Voider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2014, 1:46 pm

Many of the dreams I have are realistic to the point where they can be confused with reality. Though when I wake up, problems associated with the dream disappear with the dream. Yet there are dreams that are so bizarre and creative that fragments of memory still linger through my mind, even after several days.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 1:54 pm

Voider wrote:
Many of the dreams I have are realistic to the point where they can be confused with reality. Though when I wake up, problems associated with the dream disappear with the dream. Yet there are dreams that are so bizarre and creative that fragments of memory still linger through my mind, even after several days.

You described it so much better than I did! That is exactly what I ment!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:51 pm

Bodyles wrote:
I once had a dream where I was a soldier in a battle, and I kept getting shot & killed over & over & over again.
I felt every bullet wound.
I woke up right after being shot for the last time and I frantically put my hands on my torso checking to see if I had actually been shot before the feeling faded away.
It was very disconcerting.

Bullets
To see a bullet or bullets in your dream indicate anger and aggression directed at you or someone else. You need to be cautious on what you say and do. Your actions and words may easily be misinterpreted. Alternatively, the dream may be telling you that you need to "bite the bullet" and accept some difficult situation. To dream of being hit by a bullet suggests that you need to persevere and endure the difficult times.
Shooting
To dream that someone is shooting you with a gun suggests that you are experiencing some confrontation in your waking life. You may be feeling victimized in some situation.
Shot
To dream that you are shot or being shot at represents a form of self-punishment that you may be subconsciously imposing on yourself. You may have done something that you are ashamed of or are not proud of. If you are shot and come back as a different person, then it indicates that you need to start fresh. You want to wipe the past away and literally become a new person.
Soldier
To see or dream that you are a soldier signifies discipline, structure, rigidity and your staunch attitude. You are imposing your opinions and feelings on others. Alternatively, a soldier means that you are preparing yourself to do battle over an issue. You feel the need to defend your beliefs, values and opinions.
Battle
To be in or see a battle in your dream suggests that you are overworked. You need to give yourself a break. There is a conflict between your rational thinking and your irrational impulses. Alternatively, dreaming of a battle represents eroticism. You may be overly stimulated or you are trying to suppress your instinctual urges. If you lose the battle, then it means that you are unable to escape from current circumstances.
Battlefield
To dream that you are on a battlefield represents some major conflict occurring in your waking life. It may indicate a new situation, new problem or new relationship which you need to solve and conquer.
Killer
To see a killer in your dream suggests that an essential aspect of your emotions have been cut off. You feel that you are losing your identity and your individuality. Alternatively, this dream may represent purification and the healing process. You are standing up for yourself and putting a dramatic end to something.
Killing
To dream that you have been killed suggests that your actions are disconnected from your emotions and conscience. The dream refers to drastic changes that you are trying to make. There is a characteristic that you want to get rid of or a habit that you want to end within yourself. Killing represents the killing off of the old parts and old habits. Alternatively, the dream represents feelings of being let down or betrayed by someone in your waking life. You are feeling overwhelmed, shocked and disappointed. To dream that you are murdered suggests that some important and significant relationship has been severed. You are trying to disconnect yourself from your emotions. The dream may also be about your unused talents.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 10:00 am

Interesting analysis, thanks.
I think that weird dream was the result of falling asleep sitting up on a fairly uncomfortable couch.
It also happened many, many years ago (around the year 1999, maybe a year or two earlier) when I was in college.
The only reason I remember it is the uniqueness of it.
I should mention, however, that I never actually saw the people I was shooting at and who were shooting at me & killing me.
I think I was in a jungle or something like that, where you couldn't see very far because there was all sorts of vegetation.
I'm sure that has metaphoric/interpretive value as well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

Bodyles wrote:
Interesting analysis, thanks. I think that weird dream was the result of falling asleep sitting up on a fairly uncomfortable couch. It also happened many, many years ago (around the year 1999, maybe a year or two earlier) when I was in college. The only reason I remember it is the uniqueness of it. I should mention, however, that I never actually saw the people I was shooting at and who were shooting at me & killing me. I think I was in a jungle or something like that, where you couldn't see very far because there was all sorts of vegetation. I'm sure that has metaphoric/interpretive value as well.

you're welcome :)
Jungle
To dream that you are in a jungle signifies aspects of yourself and your personality that may be inhibited. You may be experiencing some chaos and unpredictable circumstances in your waking life. Consider the phrase "it's a jungle out there!" If you are lost or trapped in a jungle, then it indicates that your negative feelings are hindering your progress. You need to come to terms with aspects of your subconscious.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm

babybird wrote:
My dreams do stay with me when I wake up.

If I have a nightmare it can actually effect me all day after.

Yes, this is what I am talking about.