Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 6:31 pm

The mother rejected the medical advice and focused on what her son was interested in and he's a genius now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxan95vKOrE[/youtube]

That is a great mother.

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2014, 7:20 pm

Great parenting and aspergers probably doesn't lead to "genius" even .001% of the time. (Whatever genius means.)

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm

Love this! Not because he's a genius, but because he was so supported by his mom. But a question - wouldn't his diagnosis be regressive autism because he stopped speaking? Just curious.

Indianaguy43
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm

Jacob and his family are from my home town of Fort Wayne. I am proud to say we once had one of the smartest people on the planet living my my town.

Your Aspie score: 184 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 41 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

No lie, I was just reading about this kid on the way to class this morning. I find it astounding that he's already in a master's program at the age of fifteen. Kudos to his mother and everyone who supported him along the way-I have a feeling we're going to be hearing much more from him in the future.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:52 pm

I will say despite all my time in school for developmentally disabled and therapies have received,
all of which have been excellent; I believe the dedication of my parents has taken me the furthest
in my upward mobility.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:12 pm

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but that kid is always popping up on TV shows and news stories to the point of annoyance. I'm happy for them, but the media exploitation is ridiculous.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm

1. One of my college physics professor said that a lot of "genius kids" don't stick to their childhood interest. I wonder if Jacob will be so interested in physics in ten years, or it will get boring, and he will want to do something else?

2. Everyone says I am very smart, and some have affectionately call me a genius. ASD and Transsexual means a very unique mind. However, there is no way anyone will find me devoting the blood, sweat and tears it takes to be real genius. :D

I have worked with autistic computer programmers that code, and do not sleep for many days. No thank you. :D
I worked for a mathematician who started his own software company making alarm software, and he would work horrendous hours. No thank you. :D
I have worked with people with multiple graduate degrees. My present boss has a J.D. law degree, M.S. in EE, and a M.S. in Mathematics. No way I am going for credentials. :D

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 21 Feb 2014, 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 12:00 am

pddtwinmom wrote:
Love this! Not because he's a genius, but because he was so supported by his mom. But a question - wouldn't his diagnosis be regressive autism because he stopped speaking? Just curious.

Regressive? he's the opposite. He was diagnosed with severe autism as a child, his doctor advised his mother he would never learn to speak. A you can see from the video he not only speaks quite well now but is also embarking on an academic career in theoretical physics at the age of 15. It demonstrates quite clearly the level of brain wiring at birth has little relationship to developmental outcomes in later life.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 12:55 pm

unknownfactor wrote:
Great parenting and aspergers probably doesn't lead to "genius" even .001% of the time. (Whatever genius means.)

CORRECT!! !

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 1:15 pm

He has had his memory extensively tested and has NEVER achieved less than a perfect score.
Also, he can recall every single question he has ever been asked in any test as well as the possible answers(if MC).
He is NOT just an average genius....he has a world class mind.

The Perimeter Institute is the simply the best institution in the world(excepting those in the USA and UK) for Cosmology/Theoretical Physics. Many of the very best in the world are part of it.....eg. Lee Smolin, Stephen Hawking, Leonard Susskind, Gerard T' Hooft, etc....