Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:04 am

When I get on a topic with someone I feel like I cannot stop the back and forth. It makes me feel like I am subconsciously trolling someone or that someone is trolling me.. I have heard that NT people come to places like this to troll because a lot of people with AS are very obsessive but isn't trolling an obsessive behavior too? Honestly, I had to have the term "troll" as it applies to online behavior explained to me at about age 53. I had never before had any conception of a troll other than the story I was told as a child about the troll that lived under the bridge, like as in some type of physically revolting monster.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:10 am

Trolling is actually from the form of fishing known as trolling, i.e., throwing out a lure and letting it drag behind the boat or reeling it in after casting it.

Hence, you're throwing something out there that you want people to "bite".

It can be due to malevolent or benevolent reasons.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:22 am

khaoz wrote:
... I feel like I cannot stop the back and forth....

Yep, I experience some of that, and I hate it. All it does it get my blood pressure up and my head into a negative space. Taken too far it can grow into a meltdown.

For me, it seems some combination of my needing to be right, and of my tending to feel disrespected should someone dare to say or write something that I perceive to be contrary.

This is one area where I have to be quite firm with myself to recognize it before it starts, and then to just stop it. Sometimes when I find that happening too often I have to just turn off the computer and go do something else until I regain my composure.

I also try to remember what a mentor once told me: "Marky, not everyone is entitled to your opinion." :)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:59 am

Dillogic wrote:
Trolling is actually from the form of fishing known as trolling, i.e., throwing out a lure and letting it drag behind the boat or reeling it in after casting it.

It's gotten more aggressive since it was compared to fishing. Nowadays, it's not like dangling bait; it's more like stabbing someone with a fishhook, laughing at them when they yell at you for it, and then dragging them around by the fishhook to get more amusement out of them.

It's both manipulative behavior and harassment; a troll is attempting to force someone else to have an emotional reaction, and possibly even to force them to react in a certain way.

Sometimes it does little or no harm; sometimes it ruins someone's day; occasionally it ruins someone's life. Most of the time, I'd call it immature behavior without malicious intent; it's a lot like the way a younger sibling might annoy their older sibling and then run away laughing when the older sibling yells at them, feeling powerful because they've caused a reaction. Occasionally, though, there's either intent to harm or a total disregard for the other person's rights. With the anonymity of the Internet, sociopaths seem to feel free to remove their masks.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:02 am

I don't know, the fish I've caught have been gutted, skinned, filleted, cooked and eaten up. Pretty hardcore there.

:P

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 2:22 am

Anyone trolling on this site gets banned. We don't tolerate trolling.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 4:44 am

Trolling is something one does purposely for personal amusement.
Getting into a battle of wits or whatever with someone falls more into the category of "hijacking" a thread.
Usually in a situation like that a mod will tell them to stop and continue in PM.
Some people will falsely accuse someone of being a troll if they feel like that person i getting the better of them.
But if you were really trolling in the eyes of a moderator, you would get warnings or get banned - so that is the real way to know if you are actually trolling or not.
And it is possible for someone to be annoying, without them meaning too.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 4:52 am

It depends on your definition of trolling. I often use the internet as a medium to get my thoughts out of my system. A lot of my thoughts are very weird and obsessive. A lot of people consider weird and obsessive posts trolling. I also enjoy playing different characters. That could be considered trolling as well. I haven't bullied very many people online, but I've probably annoyed many people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 5:20 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I also enjoy playing different characters. .

I do to, but not in a trolling way. Like on one of my forums im a maharajah. "the maharajah has spoken" etc.
But have a really good reputation there. Actual trolls do not have a good reputation and are disliked by most.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:48 am

Thank you all for your responses. I still don't know which I am. I guess if someone recognizes how obsessive I am then they are trolling me, But sometimes I think I Just have an obsessive desire for conflict or attention and it goes too far. It makes me feel like crap when it happens. Like I am being yoyoed by myself. If I catch it I usually disappear from whatever site I am active on at the time, usually ashamed and embarrassed I will come back with a new name but I think my lexicon is easily recognized and people learn to just ignore all of my incarnations.

Thus far on this site I have remained true to original name but have embarrassed myself to the point of having to just go away for awhile before someone kicks me in the kneecap.

I have, however, been trolled by a female to the point of causing PTSD and beyond.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:17 pm

TallyMan wrote:

Not unless it's April Fools Day. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

Callista wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

It's gotten more aggressive since it was compared to fishing. Nowadays, it's not like dangling bait; it's more like stabbing someone with a fishhook, laughing at them when they yell at you for it, and then dragging them around by the fishhook to get more amusement out of them.

It's both manipulative behavior and harassment; a troll is attempting to force someone else to have an emotional reaction, and possibly even to force them to react in a certain way.

Sometimes it does little or no harm; sometimes it ruins someone's day; occasionally it ruins someone's life. Most of the time, I'd call it immature behavior without malicious intent; it's a lot like the way a younger sibling might annoy their older sibling and then run away laughing when the older sibling yells at them, feeling powerful because they've caused a reaction. Occasionally, though, there's either intent to harm or a total disregard for the other person's rights. With the anonymity of the Internet, sociopaths seem to feel free to remove their masks.

It's more like going to a fish hatchery, and throwing a stick of dynamite in one of the holding pools, then scooping up the floaters with a net. :D

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 7:03 pm

Basso53 wrote:
Callista wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

It's more like going to a fish hatchery, and throwing a stick of dynamite in one of the holding pools, then scooping up the floaters with a net. :D

isn't it illegal to throw dynamite into water to catch fish?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 7:10 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Joeyhaze wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

you don't even know what trolling is do you? if someone were legitimately trolling they wouldn't be getting banned, they'd be getting other people in your community/site banned.

a troll makes a statement that would offend someone to the point of making them flame and get banned or baits someone into breaking site rules then gets the other person banned, troll is a blanket term for any bully or as*hole on the internet...semantics but, eh? I don't like when terms lose their original meaning.

And if you think we don't know that, you're not as smart as you think you are. :P

I agree about it being annoying when "trolling" is used to mean "cyberbullying".

I don't see the difference between the two. Don't cyber bullies also try and get a rise out of someone and harass someone? Isn't that what trolls do?

I also notice troll will get used when someone is rude or when they don't agree with what they wrote and some people do have unpopular opinions or opinions that may upset lot of people because they have a strong opinion about it and strong feelings so anyone with different view, they feel threatened by it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm

Quote:
I don't see the difference between the two. Don't cyber bullies also try and get a rise out of someone and harass someone? Isn't that what trolls do?

A troll is the type of person who will go on an atheist website and pretend to be an especially stupid Christian simply to get people riled up.

A cyberbully is the type of person who will follow someone around harassing them online. Like a real-life bully but through the internet.

Trolls are more of a nuisance; cyberbullies are more malicious.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I