Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 7:40 am

I think it can be beneficial to think more like a NT to keep a job for instance.

So I have thought about it. How do they think. I have pondered whether the crucial difference might be:

NT people tend to view humans as one big collective organism trying to survive. They, themselves, are just one piece in that big organism. Thus, people are not equals. The goal for a NT is to fit into that organism the best way possible through successful performance recognized by other people. Thus, they see the "big picture", and group-belonging is more important than individuality.

People with AS, on the other hand, tend to view humans as individuals trying so survive. They, themselves, are therefore equals to other people. The goal for a person with AS is to attain independence for themselves and those they care for. Thus, they see the "details", not the "big picture", and individuality is more important than group-belonging.

So the main change to take is thinking that one is a part of a big organism instead of an individual equal to everyone else. This is how you break down the autistic "disconnection" to the surrounding world: by becoming a part of that big organism, forgetting about your equality to others.

What are your thoughts on this? Any tips on how to think more like a NT?

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 8:05 am

I'm told NTs let things go. They don't keep thinking about and trying to figure things out and thinking more.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 9:28 am

Waterfalls wrote:
I'm told NTs let things go. They don't keep thinking about and trying to figure things out and thinking more.

True, I have observed that too. Our great long term memory seems to not allow us to.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 10:17 am

I tend to think more like an NT when I eat healthier.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 10:30 am

Is this for the purpose of trapping one?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 10:46 am

Nt's don't think of themselves as a part of an organism, but as individuals too.
also their goals can be very very diverse, and not 'fitting in'.
If you think nt's are that worried about social hierarchy you don't know them quite well. Dominants will probably be fighting for the top of the hierarchy, but most people are not really worried about that, as long as they are not in the bottom.

If I am going to say something about the difference of my way of thinking and others I know is that I am always categorizing things and analyzing them, while others don't seem to be much interested in that.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:19 am

I'm not sure that there is one single "NT" thought pattern. The core commonality is the drive to survive; how people go about that survival differs from culture to culture and even individual to individual, and even so-called "normal" individuals think very differently from one another.

There are many people without autism who see themselves as an individual amongst other individuals (Western society, in fact, is often characterized by an individualistic mindset vs. the more collective mindset seen in many Asian cultures; you might be interested in the individualism vs. collectivism debate) or who over-analyze and "hold onto" things (in fact, most grudges against other people and scenarios where one is ostracized from a group seem to be the result of over-analyzing and re-reflecting over certain transgressions or flaws).

Thus, it may be more useful to narrow one's scope of the type of person to emulate. If your aim is to keep a job, for example, try analyzing and hanging around individuals that seem to do well in the workplace and see what approaches they use to office politics, job performance, organization, and the like. Chances are that different individuals will use different strategies, but chances are that one or some of those strategies may be useful to you.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:26 am

I don't believe that it's possible for an Aspie to think like an NT as there are physical differences between the aspie brain and the NT brain, we're just wired different.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:35 am

I think along the lines of an animal, doing my best to survive.

Sometimes I hide and other times I hunt.

That is the way my brain is wired.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:36 am

The key to keeping a job is being able to BS. Other people BS their way through things. A lot of people just want to show up and do the minimum to get their paycheck. If you take things more seriously than they do, if you work harder than they do, if you pay more attention to detail, if you care about your work more than they do, if you question the way things are, if you prefer to work while others are standing around talking and socializing, you stand out from the crowd and you will become a target.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 12:00 pm

dianthus wrote:
The key to keeping a job is being able to BS. Other people BS their way through things. A lot of people just want to show up and do the minimum to get their paycheck. If you take things more seriously than they do, if you work harder than they do, if you pay more attention to detail, if you care about your work more than they do, if you question the way things are, if you prefer to work while others are standing around talking and socializing, you stand out from the crowd and you will become a target.

That is exactly my problem. I care more about working than socializing. It seems like a lot of them waste their time with all that socializing. But the truth is likely that I waste my time working too hard.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
Is this for the purpose of trapping one?

Heh heh....my thoughts precisely 8)

The more salient question is why might we want to think like a neurotypical? :shrug:

Sometimes neurotypicals just don't think, instead react and/or rely on their emotions. Viola, they fit in.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

To become NT just go with the crowd. If the crowd believes that the Moon landings were faked then that's what I should believe.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

I don't know how an NT or an Aspie is supposed to think. I know I think in NT ways sometimes, after all I am human as well. But sometimes I feel like I just think like a highly anxious person with a lot on her mind.