Columbia University - DSM 5 reducing diagnoses by 31%

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 7:12 pm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/273229.php

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm

Interesting. It is the PDD-NOS group - by definition not meeting the criterai for AD or AS - and to a lesser extent the AD group itself, that are reduced. Those dx'd with AS are not significantly affected.

I wonder if the AD group includes quite a few people with intellectual disability who are dx'd with AD e.g. to get better services?

Anyway - I am dx'd with AS.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm

This is why I'm reluctant to get a new diagnosis. They might find I'm not autistic enough and deny me the diagnosis.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm

redrobin62 do you already have an autistic label? If you do it will automatically stay, just a different name.

Those who can diagnose might still use the last diagnostic manual.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 1:24 am

Lumi wrote:
redrobin62 do you already have an autistic label? If you do it will automatically stay, just a different name.

Those who can diagnose might still use the last diagnostic manual.

His original Aspergers diagnoses has been renamed. I doubt that would affect new diagnoses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_clause

One-A-N wrote:
Interesting. It is the PDD-NOS group - by definition not meeting the criterai for AD or AS - and to a lesser extent the AD group itself, that are reduced. Those dx'd with AS are not significantly affected.

PDD-NOS people had no advocacy organizations for them and they are getting screwed over

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman