dad lost his job, how am i suppose to handle this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:32 am

ok, lately i havent been writting posts and i find when i dont write for a little bit i get a little rusty and it takes longer to post and the post comes out weird, so apologies for anything confusing, offensive, or false information

recently, my dads job contract has run out (reminder: he is my only parent and works all day for a steady income) so now we are at a lost.

until he finds a new job he will go on Employment Insurance and Family Tax credit, which may or may not be able to pay for our 475 two week rent, electricity and internet, not to mention food and gas.

so obviously, my dad is going to need a new job. but heres the problem my dad doesn't really have a education, my dad worked as a Aboriginal Leozon Officer (ALO) (cant spell or pronounce Leozon, i don't even know what that word means) but he is a counsellor for the Mi'kmac inmates in this prison he works in, what he does is tries to get the Mi'kmac prisoners more in touch with they're Mi'kmac spirituality as a healing ritual. it requires no training other than the knowledge of Mi'kmac spirituality and history, which my dad has. (( Mi'kmac is the name of the language and native 'tribe' i belong to in canada,))

now that he doesnt have this job anymore (or wont after march) he will have to find a new job which is easier said than done. we have come up with three options

1. apply at another prison which is GOOD: because nothing will really change, its the same pay as befor but its also BAD" because its farther, which means more money on gas, and more time traveling, which makes my dad tired. too tired to take care of me

2. work with this animation company that wants to hire my dad, its for Mi'kmac legends. GOOD: because my dad loves to do artwork, it makes him happy. BAD; because we dont know how much theyre paying us, when they will pay us and how long that job will last.

3. go to Alberta, work in the oil rig camps. GOOD: because he will be making double what he was making before,a lot of physical work and very available positions BAD: because moving out there is a huge change, its across canada, it would be for up to two years but thats a long time to be away from my family and friends. i had just made friends with people at camp (all have a form of autism) and i dont think i could stay away from my niece for that long. family is very important to me.

for option three, i have been planning more for because i have never experienced anything like it, so we have it mostly planned

if he took the job, he would go out there first, before i could go with him, which means i would have to stay with someone, were thinking my grandfather, who has lots of room, doesnt work, and lives on a reserve with all my family on it, ( but, that does create a problem for my dog because she doesnt like other dogs, and my grandfather already has a dog). now, my grandfather doesnt really know how to deal with someone with autism, but he has delt with Schizophrenia, but regardless my dad is thinking to hire a support worker to go in everyday to make sure im O.K. and in addition, since my grandfather doesnt work, my dad would be willing to pay my grandfather on a monthly basis. right until i can go to alberta with my dad. my dad would work there for a few years until hes saved enough money to move back to new brunswick and live comfortably.

frankly, i like that plan better than becoming homeless (again) .

but, i dont know if i will react in a unpredicatble way, i will more than likely meltdown, become depressed again, and need therapy AGAIN. i dont know, so i guess im scared, i never delt with this much change, what should i do to better prepare myself, ive mentally prepared to my extent.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 6:07 am

Sorry to hear about this. Won't lie to you the change will be hard, and money will be tight.

His job search is something he has to do and not something you can do for him. You need to deal with whatever changes do actually occur not spend precious energy trying to figure out what changes might occur. Of course we are always here

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2014, 7:54 am

If he could do 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 then he could do what he loves without the pressure of money because 1 or 3 would pay the bills while number 2 gives him fulfillment and extra money. If it is artwork, I see no reason why he cannot do that any where and while having a full time job to rely on. Tell him to do both that way next time a contract runs out he will have savings and the money from his art will still be flowing in between his other jobs. People sell art all the time by doing little more than putting pics on facebook.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 5:05 pm

IdleHands wrote:
If he could do 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 then he could do what he loves without the pressure of money because 1 or 3 would pay the bills while number 2 gives him fulfillment and extra money. If it is artwork, I see no reason why he cannot do that any where and while having a full time job to rely on. Tell him to do both that way next time a contract runs out he will have savings and the money from his art will still be flowing in between his other jobs. People sell art all the time by doing little more than putting pics on facebook.

my dad cant work in the animation or prisons in alberta, the animation is only in NB and the prison he works in needs to have Mi'kmac inmates, mi'kmac people are the natives to NB, NS and P.E.I, so there are no Mi'kmac people in alberta, there are different tribes. he has absolutely no energy to work two jobs.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2014, 5:42 pm

Maybe he can use his talents with animation to freelance?