Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 5:55 am

StarTrekker wrote:
The people there respond far more emotionally to peoples' posts than members do here; they're eager to offer up smiley faces and "hugs" in situations where such action would never have occurred to me. They also spend a lot more time commiserating with whatever difficulty the OP is having than we do. In general it appears we prefer getting down to the facts and offering practical advice rather than saying things like, "I'm sorry, that sounds terrible!" in part because such platitudes are fairly pointless, and in part because it probably doesn't usually occur to us that someone might want to hear such things. They compliment each other on their posts a lot more too; while we quote people and just say, "this", they go on about how "great" and "insightful" the people they're quoting are. Just an interesting observation I thought I'd share. Those of you who use other forums apart from WP, have you noticed anything similar?

Yes, I´ve observed that too. I´m learning to use phrases like: "I follow you", "I´ve been there" and "I´m sorry for you" "I am glad for you" and use emoticons, - but it didn´t come naturally.
I prefer to get down to facts and what-to-do-about-things.