Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SSWaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2014, 11:33 am

So I am currently looking at 4 more months then my internship contact is up at the organization I'm working for. My references there are AMAZING, literally amazing. They're trying all they can to find the funding to keep me but contracts do not = benefits, sick days, vacation days, so even another contract isn't that great of a deal.

They cannot guarantee they will be able to keep me (for financial reasons) after August, which means if I rely on the small chance that they may.... I could end up scraping the barrel through the winter if they can't find funding to keep me.

I am skilled in multiple disciplines.... Highly valuable.

They have all said so on numerous occasions.... But still no job security and no benefits.

Anyways I am on the fence on whether it would be "right" to apply for this position in my area as "Area Coordinator" for a sexual assault services organization. Perm, full time, competitive benefit package. My gut tells me if I apply they will call me for an interview... Then they will ask for references, of which I would ask them to give me a couple days (given that currently employed) to speak to my employer and management to give them a heads up before the new agency calls for a reference.

Of I got this job I'd have to give notice which means my current job (1 year internship) would require replacement and it's not an easy job or position to replace, especially given that there's only 4 months left.

I feel bad but have been told by many, even management, that I should be putting my families needs before any job.... And my family needs more money, I am the sole provider.

I always like to try and do what's right and hate putting people in crappy situations for my own benefit, I'm a very honest and thoughtful person. I like to finish one task before moving on to another.... But everyday not knowing where I'll be financially in 4.5 months is driving me insane.

I don't even know if I can provide a Christmas or food or keep my car and home in 4 months... That's scary.

Has anyone else ever felt this way? Am I wrong to apply for the other position?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm

I would definitely apply for it. I also keep it all from your present company.

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2014, 12:08 pm

I would apply for it don't get stuck in a job that doesn't give you what you need just to not offend people. I wish I had a job but not working at moment haven't found the right fit for me yet wonder if I ever will.

Eye test score: 21
AQ test score: 40.0 , AQ-10: 7.0
(RAADS-R): 183.0

SSWaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

They won't know until references are requested