No 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
No, but I have at least one other food intolerance or allergy 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
No, but I have at least one other food intolerance or allergy 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 71

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2014, 6:25 pm

I quite recently developed a formulation of gluten intolerance that is customarily signified as "non-celiac gluten sensitivity." It is not of recognizance within the threshold boundary of mainstream/conventional medicine and science. I've been wheat/gluten free for approximately a month now and ever since inaugurating the exclusionist diet my diarrhea; foggy brains, bloating, sluggish processing speed, flatulence, abdominal discomfort and fatigue have been mitigated to a substantive degree. I also feel somewhat more physically vigorous and get less uncomfortable while I’m running. People who are gluten intolerant are also predisposed to developing a wide variety of disorders linked to long-term gluten consumption (and I’m not talking about the autoimmune disorder that is celiac disease) like schizophrenia, insomnia, depression, nutritional deficiencies, immuno-suppression, neuropathy, arthritis and even dementia.

That is and was the primary, yet logical reason why I'm undergoing this restrictive diet, so please don't construe or stereotype me as a hard-core curebie who begrudges my autistic self and discreetly seeks out any alternative treatments (chelation, homeopathy, naturopathy, acupuncture etc.) as a "curative approach" to transit myself to the odious world of neurotypicality. The diet has not induced any "alleviating effect" on my autistic traits, which I'm relieved about as I am proud of what and who I am as an autistic person and fervently embrace the neurodiversity philosophy, yet despite undergoing a dietary approach that is hailed in the mainstream media as a "health fad" by unscholarly and sloppy journalists (unless it's about weight loss which may or may not manifest itself whilst simultaneously eating gluten free bread, biscuits etc.), yet championed as a popularized treatment by the "Defeat Autism Now!" (DAN!) and biomedical movements (some like the opprobrious Jenny McCarthy call themselves "Warrior Moms") based on a proliferation of anecdotal accounts of "recovery" from "environmentally induced" regressive autism. Many autistic rights and neurodiversity activists such as me are insinuated by their egregious delineation of the autistic spectrum as a whole, and we have a moral right to feel this way.

My case of gluten intolerance is not unique in juxtaposition with autistics who are impuissant to digest the compositions of gluten since their early childhood, which coincides with the initial symptomatic presentations of autism. I theorize that its far more prevalent amongst autistics whose condition was solely attributed to environmental toxicant factorials (e.g. pesticides) during prenatal or postnatal development; even more so amongst the 25% to 33% of those on the spectrum who developed normally in reflection with their acquisition of linguistic expression; and their adaptive behavioral functioning; afterwards, they subsequently regress during the final stages of Object Permanence (18-24 months). My type of AS was directly caused by a genetic predisposition + birth asphyixa (lack of oxygen at birth), which is not generally associated with environmental virulences like pesticide residue or heavy metal toxicity that may contribute to a wide variety of diseases from food allergenic pathogens to leaky gut syndrome. I think my intolerance was due to my fixated picky eating habits in childhood to adolescence, and substantially accumulated in the past three years that was directly implicated from AS. This must have gradually permeated my once stable gastrointestinal system; causing my infelicitous intolerances to food laden with wheat and gluten.

My reaction of having to obviate gluten from my diet for the sake of health benefactors has precipitated me to be a bit disillusioned at first of having to give up my much adored Lindt Chocolates (barley malt extract has underlying gluten constituents), as-well as having to give up cream crackers (a popular British biscuit), bakery rolls, (especially sesame seeded rolls), and fish and chips (malt vinegar is manufactured from barley which is a constituent of gluten). Nevertheless, it’s not worth the inexorable health concomitances that may insidiously emerge if I carried on consuming the protein composition. Gluten and Wheat free substitutes of rich tea and custard cream biscuits which I have also loved since childhood are available, but at an overly abundant price.

I’m not afflicted with any of the multifarious food intolerances like dairy, lactose, or casein intolerances or anything, and I eat plenty of fruit, organic eggs, butter, full fat pro-biotic yogurts and endure moderate walking exercises to keep me healthy. I am very circumspective with food labels and object to any produce containing wheat, gluten, refined and processed nutrients, fructose, additives, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, sodium and potassium benzoates, genetically engineered ingredients, artificial sweeteners (like aspartame especially), preservatives, colors, flavors, and anything intricately unpronounceable for the average human being. I also don’t conform to the unorthodox and mythological “low-fat” dietary intervention; which for me along with thalidomide and statin pharmaceuticals is one of the biggest medical scams that Big Pharma and our corrupt food industry have incongruously used as a commercialized propagation to the media and public.

Are you gluten or casein intolerant, and did it by any chance manifest much later in your lifetime (e.g. early adulthood)? Has the intervention it been merely beneficial for you in any way or form; did it alleviate any of your negative ASD traits or did it even substantially ameliorate illnesses like insomnia or fluid retention?

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 13 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 8:25 pm

No but prevents asthma symptoms for me. Allergies to animals and one serious food allergy.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 11:59 pm

I have experienced similar improvement from the removal of gluten and, in my case, dairy.

I come from a family that has celiac disease but am not diagnosed with it myself.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 12:07 am

Gluten made me horribly ill for 10 years. Hehe (grossout) - I can finally enjoy doing my business again, which to me is an amazing blessing. None of the tests ever came back with any gluten issues so it took me a long time to figure it out. Docs all said IBS. Still Autistic though. :D

digitalb0y
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

I've also have a very similar experience with gluten. Which until I started Mountain biking in my late 20's I thought the symptoms were just part of everyday aspie life. When mountain biking (the only exercise I'd ever really gotten into) after work I notice small improvements, however I had certain days where I was on the ball and other days I called my "off" days and I would do quite poorly. I tried to find any correlation however at that time just thought it was normal for me. About a year later I met a fellow mountain biker Tania who mentioned she had similar symptoms and it was due to gluten. So I slowly started to investigate that avenue, however really slowly since many of my favorite foods where gluten based. i.e. Lasagne, Pizza, Cheez it's, etc. At first I didn't see much change cause I only cut back just little however years later I decided to drive in and really try. I cut about 80% of gluten out of my diet Within a few weeks I noticed the "brain fog went away", concentration improved, bowel movements, etc. I then went cold turkey, many friends/family members gave me a hard time when they found out what I was doing which after a while it got really annoying so about 2 years later in I took an official genetic & stool test. Which both came back positive for Gluten sensitivity. On the genetic screening both of my parents carry the "non-celiac" gluten sensitivity gene(which doubled my chances) and my Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA count I was very high and was diagnosed with Gluten Sensitivity. It also had a milk,egg,soy check which thankfully all came back negative. I'm glad I got the official diagnosis, however wish I took the testing much earlier in life. F.Y.I. I got the diagnosis today! Well that's my two cents.

Mpregangel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2014, 1:52 am

I tested positive for almost 50 food and chemical sensitivities like zuchini, onions, wheat, paprika, Mung beans, polysorbate 80, saccharine, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, Aleve, nystatin, fluoride, and codfish. Since going on a rotation diet I've seen a remarkable recovery from my GERD and fluoride free made all my gum swelling go away. It's crazy what one can be sensitive to and not know it. I also have immune responses to gluten and casein. I don't think it changes autistic traits though.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm

Gluten free was the answer to my severe excema.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 12:37 am

TheRedPedant93 wrote:
Are you gluten or casein intolerant, and did it by any chance manifest much later in your lifetime (e.g. early adulthood)?

It would seem that I have suddenly contracted celiac disease =|

Reading the symptoms, I've had a lot of them very mildly for most of my life, but last Thursday I caught a cold, and since then, eating anything wheaty has just made my skin an intolerable thing to wear.

I'm still reading up on it though, and still going through the planning stages of making a GF attempt.