Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

What motivates you to learn something the most?
Intrinsic Rewards - Because it's interesting and I enjoy it. 69%  69%  [ 18 ]
Extrinsic Rewards - Because ultimately I'm going to get something out of it. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
They both motivate me equally. 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 26

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2014, 4:32 pm

This post is mostly me thinking out loud, but I'd like to get some others thoughts here too. I would say that everyone does the things they do because of some perceived benefit in doing so and the same applies to learning. There are then two means of "reward" for doing things, intrinsic and extrinsic. I have a hypothesis that those with ASD do and learn things more so because they are intrinsically motivated to do so. Special interests are pursued more because they are generally interesting and enjoyable than because if some external goal or purpose in pursuing them.

Now, this is not to say that NTs are any different up to this point. We all do the things we like. Where I think perhaps a slight difference exists is that NTs can be equally driven by extrinsic motivation. They study hard to do well on a test to get a degree and land the career that will allow them to make tons of money, etc., etc. I know if it's not something I'm really into, I have a REALLY hard time investing myself into it. Furthermore, society seems to place more value on extrinsic motivation. I know people at the university I attend who have studied art, literature, or philosophy and then get harassed with questions like, "Well, what kinda job are you going to get with that?!" As if there is no merit in the mere enjoyment of the intellectual or creative pursuit.

Anyway, that's been my thought here recently. Would appreciate others weighing in.

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

Actually, let me better explain my thoughts. I believe for everyone that if both extrinsic and intrinsic motivation are present, this is the ideal situation. Where I hypothesize that the difference lies, is that the one with ASD is more likely to persist when only intrinsic motivation is present whereas the NT might be more likely to say, "Why bother?" when extrinsic motivation is not present.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 4:52 pm

For me the motivations seem to be almost equal. I learn stuff because they are interesting and enjoyable for me but also because they are useful and I can benefit from them. An easy example: I love thunderstorms but my knowledge about them also let's me know when I should take an umbrella when I'm going outside and I love when my predictions come true, especially when other people see it too. "How did you know it is going to rain... It was so beautiful day. There was no clue about the thunderstorm coming! ". "Actually there was a lot of clues, all the cumulus clouds for example, and the wet air... " blah, blah, blah...

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

It's very difficult, next to impossible, for me to do anything just because somebody else wants me to, and money can't change that. If I'm not motivated to do it, it's just a mentally excruciating assembly-line drudgery and I cannot stay focused on it.

OTOH, if it does interest me, I'll be doing it anyway, getting paid for it is icing on the cake.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:23 pm

Some things that I do and enjoy have no extrinsic benefit, and at the least they use up scarce time which I could conceivably spend getting more stuff. However, I also like rewards such as money and accolades (up to a point). I fall more on the intrinsic rewards side, but close enough to the middle that I chose "both."

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2014, 5:25 pm

Willard wrote:
OTOH, if it does interest me, I'll be doing it anyway, getting paid for it is icing on the cake.

Yeah, this is my point. I've known NTs who are almost the opposite: "If I can get paid for doing it I'm there, but if it's also something I like, even better!" Almost like the motivational priorities are reversed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:27 pm

It's about 60-40 Extrinsic/Intrinsic with me.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:49 pm

Practically intrinsic only for me, unfortunately.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Last edited by Skilpadde on 06 Apr 2014, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kt69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2014, 2:42 pm

It's next to impossible for me to learn anything I'm not interested in. That's one of the reasons I dropped out of school.
I can't motivate myself at all to learn things I don't care about.