Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 2:23 am

en_una_isla wrote:
I just thought of a reason I would fake AS-- to get one of those companion dogs!! !! ! :) :)

HAHAHA!!

I started to laugh thinking "you want one of those dogs for blind people? Cool!"

ZanneMarie, very interesting story about the lawn and the closet! It had all the elements: drama (faulkner), suspense (when he arrives), comedy (the grass cut without a sharpened blade), interesting stoty :)

...now I know I am not OCD, I have a mess :P

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 6:43 am

computerlove wrote:
en_una_isla wrote:
I just thought of a reason I would fake AS-- to get one of those companion dogs!! !! ! :) :)

HAHAHA!!

I started to laugh thinking "you want one of those dogs for blind people? Cool!"

ZanneMarie, very interesting story about the lawn and the closet! It had all the elements: drama (faulkner), suspense (when he arrives), comedy (the grass cut without a sharpened blade), interesting stoty :)

So glad I could entertain. We are entertained by ourselves all the time (well that's after we get done being in overload sometimes).

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 12:04 pm

computerlove wrote:
en_una_isla wrote:

HAHAHA!!

No - you certainly CAN have a great deal of mess and absolutely have OCD. That is why I said many think people with OCD are Felix Unger of the the Odd Couple types with extraordinarily neat homes and nothing out of place. Felix Unger was OCPD - which only 10% of people with OCD also have OCPD. Actually those with OCD can have lots of messes because you can not sort or organize efficiently or sometimes even touch certain things. Or else you have so many rules that it takes a long time to do even the simplest tasks so you get way behind on other things. There was one story about a guy who had his own apartment and a good job but was living on the street because he could not enter his apartment nor could he tolerate the idea of having a cleaner. That is an extreme example of course. Also there are those with OCD who have hoarding issues and that can be a tremendous mess if you can't toss anything out.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 12:20 pm

Yes, I can see my husband living on the street for that reason. He hits rule overload all the time. There just isn't enough time to do all of these things any longer. It's shut down time when you hit maximum capacity.

At least I can tell him, you only have so much GHz.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 1:37 pm

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
I only put certain dishes in the dishwasher - and all dishes are actually washed before they go in there (lol). And I often toss things that I consider unable to be cleaned suffciently - like those annoying plastic containers. Plastic can not be sterilized. So depending on what things are used for - and my husband went to school to be a chef so he LOVES to cook all these complicated meals - there is a dish washing pecking order that must be adhered to. I also take issue with some of these cheap metal utensils he likes to buy that are made in China so who knows what safety standards they meet. So when he cooks a big meal I have all this work to do that no one really sees as necessary because it is simple to just toss everything in the dishwasher. Of course I do the same thing with the laundry too. Funny thing though is that most people think that those with OCD are sort of Felix Unger types, but with all the rules it is hard to get everything accomplished the way you want it so you get behind on tasks or seem disorganized. Then you get depressed about it.

If you were my wife, I would divorce you in a heart beat (and wonder how I'd ever have married such a person to begin with). I've encountered people with these sorts of ridiculously rigorous standards or procedures before, and if they want to waste their time, that's fine by me, but once they try to recruit other people into their rituals, it becomes a problem.

You should consider yourself lucky you've found someone who considers your mixture of goods and bads acceptable enough to live with.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 2:05 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
walk-in-the-rain wrote:
I only put certain dishes in the dishwasher - and all dishes are actually washed before they go in there (lol). And I often toss things that I consider unable to be cleaned suffciently - like those annoying plastic containers. Plastic can not be sterilized. So depending on what things are used for - and my husband went to school to be a chef so he LOVES to cook all these complicated meals - there is a dish washing pecking order that must be adhered to. I also take issue with some of these cheap metal utensils he likes to buy that are made in China so who knows what safety standards they meet. So when he cooks a big meal I have all this work to do that no one really sees as necessary because it is simple to just toss everything in the dishwasher. Of course I do the same thing with the laundry too. Funny thing though is that most people think that those with OCD are sort of Felix Unger types, but with all the rules it is hard to get everything accomplished the way you want it so you get behind on tasks or seem disorganized. Then you get depressed about it.

If you were my wife, I would divorce you in a heart beat (and wonder how I'd ever have married such a person to begin with). I've encountered people with these sorts of ridiculously rigorous standards or procedures before, and if they want to waste their time, that's fine by me, but once they try to recruit other people into their rituals, it becomes a problem.

You should consider yourself lucky you've found someone who considers your mixture of goods and bads acceptable enough to live with.

I think alot of people who have differences find others with certain issues themselves who can understand and appreciate each other. Another issue too is that some people tend to only see marraige as a convenience - not as a commitment. Any adult who gets married should understand it is supposed to be for better or worse, ect. Most people just want the better. My husband is Roman Catholic and so we went through counseling with a priest because he was marrying a non-Catholic and someone with issues that were under mental health so their church wants people to be very clear about what the responsibility is.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 2:23 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
walk-in-the-rain wrote:

Maybe he's like me and he likes it.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 3:12 pm

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
I think alot of people who have differences find others with certain issues themselves who can understand and appreciate each other. Another issue too is that some people tend to only see marraige as a convenience - not as a commitment. Any adult who gets married should understand it is supposed to be for better or worse, ect. Most people just want the better. My husband is Roman Catholic and so we went through counseling with a priest because he was marrying a non-Catholic and someone with issues that were under mental health so their church wants people to be very clear about what the responsibility is.

I should apologize; I didn't mean it as personally as I had phrased it. I just know I personally would have trouble getting along with someone who had very strict procedures unless those rigorous ideas happened to overlap very closely with mine. I do think there are some advantages in learning how to let go and accept a little bit of mess or chaos without getting worked up over it.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 4:32 pm

Neant,

They understand that and fight it every day. We were just off on a tangent swapping stories, but OCD people struggle not to be that way. Just like we struggle to understand social undertones in the people around us. Some people have a hard time living with Aspies too. I doubt anyone else could live with me.

Thank goodness there are so many different people out there so we have a hope of finding the one that suits us. That's all I can say.

despaired
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Dec 2007, 11:13 pm

The biggest struggle for me is the loneliness. I try so hard to integrate for the sake of building relationships, especially with a potential girlfriend. I just don't have the words to say anymore, I'm just so sick of this.