Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

Anyone else say way too much or things they shouldn't say, even though they're true? I finally realized sometime back to just not talk about myself, even when asked, because I'd end up fessing up to something I shouldn't. I'm too freaking honest. I am able to be very manipulative and lie well, I just don't like too, I feel like a bad person. I know Aspies are notorious for being too honest. Why is that?

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

I used to do that, back when I was a cute eight year old. Then my dad said I talked the truth too much, because my mom would ask him if he had been drinking, and I would automatically say yes, and even remember which brand he drank. Oh, I love my life now. :roll:

HoodedShadow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

justjelliot wrote:
Why is that?

Are you expecting me to answer that question truthfully?

Ha, I'm not falling for that o.... I don't know really why, we (Aspies) just seem to say stuff without really thinking about what we say and notice it afterwards..

Email address: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhid ... 0lSIA-uw==

Ajenjonadita
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

I lost many friends in my life for being too honest, it seems like not many people likes to know the truth about some themes...
My mom always said to me if what im going to say isnt a nice thing maybe being quiet is the best... :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

Because we take things too literal. We are told we must be honest and not lie so we take it literal.

One of my aspies friends told me babies are stupid and I took offense to that because he basically insulted my baby. I haven't spoken to him since.

Last edited by League_Girl on 28 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

justjelliot wrote:
Anyone else say way too much or things they shouldn't say, even though they're true?

Yup. Regularly. Not about myself specifically. I learned to clamp down on that one a long time ago. But I still say things that are on the edge of inappropriate.

Quote:
Why is that?

Combination of literal thinking and Theory of Mind deficits.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

I'm honest to a fault sometimes. If someone asks me my opinion or for advice; I will be upfront & honest with em even thou they may not want to hear it because I believe honesty is most helpful I HATE it when others lie to me trying to cheer me up. I don't believe in things like sucking up either. I wish more people were honest but others don't see it that way. I think the phrases brutal honesty & bitter truth apply to me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

Very honest

God offers to every mind its choice between truth and repose. Take which you please - you can never have both. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. ~Aldous Huxley

Truth, like milk, arrives in the dark
But even so, wise dogs don't bark.
Only mongrels make it hard
For the milkman to come up the yard.
~Christopher Morley, Dogs Don't Bark at the Milkman

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. ~Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

I never dreamed of being Shakespeare or Goethe, and I never expected to hold the great mirror of truth up before the world; I dreamed only of being a little pocket mirror, the sort that a woman can carry in her purse; one that reflects small blemishes, and some great beauties, when held close enough to the heart. ~Peter Altenberg

The greatest enemy of any one of our truths may be the rest of our truths. ~William James

Men ardently pursue truth, assuming it will be angels' bread when found. ~W. MacNeile Dixon

There is no god higher than truth. ~Mahatma Gandhi

Truth has very few friends and those few are suicides. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin

The trouble about man is twofold. He cannot learn truths which are too complicated; he forgets truths which are too simple. ~Rebecca West

It will never be possible by pure reason to arrive at some absolute truth. ~Werner Heisenberg, Physics and Philosophy

Truth is rarely writ in ink; it lives in nature. ~Martin H. Fischer

When I tell any truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do. ~William Blake

Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

Without faith there is no truth, for that is all the truth is or ever was. ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

There is no Truth. There is only the truth within each moment. ~Ramana Maharshi, attributed

Truth is after all a moving target
Hairs to split,
And pieces that don't fit
How can anybody be enlightened?
Truth is after all so poorly lit.
~Neil Peart, Turn the Page
(Thank you, Ryan)

Theories are private property, but truth is common stock. ~Charles Caleb Colton

It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth. ~Oscar Wilde

My truths do not last long in me. Not as long as those that are not mine. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin

Truth breeds hatred. ~Bias of Priene, Maxims

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? ~Dogen

People always think something's all true. ~J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch, nay, you may kick it all about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Professor at the Breakfast Table

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. ~Leo Tolstoy

Truth is the breath of life to human society. It is the food of the immortal spirit. Yet a single word of it may kill a man as suddenly as a drop of prussic acid. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am the fellow citizen of every being that thinks; my country is Truth. ~Alphonse de Lamartine, "Marseillaise of Peace," 1841

Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Truth is a great flirt. ~Franz Liszt

I am of the Buddhists. The great Teacher comes periodically. He is followed by pupils who corrupt the texts and then a new Buddha must be born to reëstablish the truth. ~Martin H. Fischer

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. ~Denis Diderot

All great truths begin as blasphemies. ~George Bernard Shaw, Annajanska, 1919

...Science and mathematics
Run parallel to reality, they symbolize it, they squint at it,
They never touch it: consider what an explosion
Would rock the bones of men into little white fragments and unsky the world
If any mind for a moment touch truth.
~Robinson Jeffers, "The Silent Shepherds," The Beginning & the End

The greatest truths are the simplest: so likewise are the greatest men. ~Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare, Guesses at Truth, by Two Brothers, 1827

I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for truth - and truth rewarded me. ~Simone de Beauvoir

Man has always sacrificed truth to his vanity, comfort and advantage. He lives... by make-believe. ~W. Somerset Maugham, The Summing Up, 1938

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Truth is no Doctoresse, she takes no degrees at Paris or Oxford... but oftentimes to such an one as myself, an Idiota or common person, no great things, melancholizing in woods where waters are, quiet places by rivers, fountains, whereas the silly man expecting no such matter, thinketh only how best to delectate and refresh his mynde continually with Natura her pleasaunt scenes, woods, water-falls, or Art her statelie gardens, parks, terraces, Belvideres, on a sudden the goddesse herself Truth has appeared, with a shyning lyghte, and a sparklyng countenance, so as yee may not be able lightly to resist her. ~Charles Lamb

We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. ~Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable. ~Attributed to James A. Garfield

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

There is no truth. There is only perception. ~Gustave Flaubert

If a thousand old beliefs were ruined in our march to truth we must still march on. ~Stopford Brooke

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

Surfman wrote:
Very honest

God offers to every mind its choice between truth and repose. Take which you please - you can never have both. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. ~Aldous Huxley

Truth, like milk, arrives in the dark
But even so, wise dogs don't bark.
Only mongrels make it hard
For the milkman to come up the yard.
~Christopher Morley, Dogs Don't Bark at the Milkman

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. ~Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

I never dreamed of being Shakespeare or Goethe, and I never expected to hold the great mirror of truth up before the world; I dreamed only of being a little pocket mirror, the sort that a woman can carry in her purse; one that reflects small blemishes, and some great beauties, when held close enough to the heart. ~Peter Altenberg

The greatest enemy of any one of our truths may be the rest of our truths. ~William James

Men ardently pursue truth, assuming it will be angels' bread when found. ~W. MacNeile Dixon

There is no god higher than truth. ~Mahatma Gandhi

Truth has very few friends and those few are suicides. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin

The trouble about man is twofold. He cannot learn truths which are too complicated; he forgets truths which are too simple. ~Rebecca West

It will never be possible by pure reason to arrive at some absolute truth. ~Werner Heisenberg, Physics and Philosophy

Truth is rarely writ in ink; it lives in nature. ~Martin H. Fischer

When I tell any truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do. ~William Blake

Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

Without faith there is no truth, for that is all the truth is or ever was. ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

There is no Truth. There is only the truth within each moment. ~Ramana Maharshi, attributed

Truth is after all a moving target
Hairs to split,
And pieces that don't fit
How can anybody be enlightened?
Truth is after all so poorly lit.
~Neil Peart, Turn the Page
(Thank you, Ryan)

Theories are private property, but truth is common stock. ~Charles Caleb Colton

It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth. ~Oscar Wilde

My truths do not last long in me. Not as long as those that are not mine. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin

Truth breeds hatred. ~Bias of Priene, Maxims

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? ~Dogen

People always think something's all true. ~J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch, nay, you may kick it all about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Professor at the Breakfast Table

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. ~Leo Tolstoy

Truth is the breath of life to human society. It is the food of the immortal spirit. Yet a single word of it may kill a man as suddenly as a drop of prussic acid. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am the fellow citizen of every being that thinks; my country is Truth. ~Alphonse de Lamartine, "Marseillaise of Peace," 1841

Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Truth is a great flirt. ~Franz Liszt

I am of the Buddhists. The great Teacher comes periodically. He is followed by pupils who corrupt the texts and then a new Buddha must be born to reëstablish the truth. ~Martin H. Fischer

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. ~Denis Diderot

All great truths begin as blasphemies. ~George Bernard Shaw, Annajanska, 1919

...Science and mathematics
Run parallel to reality, they symbolize it, they squint at it,
They never touch it: consider what an explosion
Would rock the bones of men into little white fragments and unsky the world
If any mind for a moment touch truth.
~Robinson Jeffers, "The Silent Shepherds," The Beginning & the End

The greatest truths are the simplest: so likewise are the greatest men. ~Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare, Guesses at Truth, by Two Brothers, 1827

I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for truth - and truth rewarded me. ~Simone de Beauvoir

Man has always sacrificed truth to his vanity, comfort and advantage. He lives... by make-believe. ~W. Somerset Maugham, The Summing Up, 1938

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Truth is no Doctoresse, she takes no degrees at Paris or Oxford... but oftentimes to such an one as myself, an Idiota or common person, no great things, melancholizing in woods where waters are, quiet places by rivers, fountains, whereas the silly man expecting no such matter, thinketh only how best to delectate and refresh his mynde continually with Natura her pleasaunt scenes, woods, water-falls, or Art her statelie gardens, parks, terraces, Belvideres, on a sudden the goddesse herself Truth has appeared, with a shyning lyghte, and a sparklyng countenance, so as yee may not be able lightly to resist her. ~Charles Lamb

We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. ~Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable. ~Attributed to James A. Garfield

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

There is no truth. There is only perception. ~Gustave Flaubert

If a thousand old beliefs were ruined in our march to truth we must still march on. ~Stopford Brooke

Wow. Did you memorize all of those? With Aspies, it's always possible :D .

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

I don't know exactly why we do it, but I suspect it relates to politeness, and our difficulty in understanding politeness.

I sometimes ask people if they believe a person can be both polite and honest. Polite people will say yes, but honest people will give at best a highly qualified yes and often just say no.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

justjelliot wrote:

Wow. Did you memorize all of those? With Aspies, it's always possible :D .

no, I just googled them up 10 minutes ago

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

I'm never too honest. I can lie. I don't lie where I don't need to. I only lie when it's necessary, like the time when the job-centre picked me a job I really didn't want to do. It's silly just sitting there going all around the houses when I could just make up a little white lie to get me out of it without any problems. The main thing is, it worked.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I don't know exactly why we do it, but I suspect it relates to politeness, and our difficulty in understanding politeness.

I sometimes ask people if they believe a person can be both polite and honest. Polite people will say yes, but honest people will give at best a highly qualified yes and often just say no.

I would say yes to that too. From what I have noticed, people who are jerks claim to be they are just being honest. They feel that honesty gives them the right to be insulting and put people down because they are being honest. I have came to believe honesty is an excuse jerks use to be a jerk. Those people come off as trolls and bullies.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

League_Girl wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

I would say yes to that too. From what I have noticed, people who are jerks claim to be they are just being honest. They feel that honesty gives them the right to be insulting and put people down because they are being honest. I have came to believe honesty is an excuse jerks use to be a jerk. Those people come off as trolls and bullies.

Isn't also possible that people don't always want to hear the truth because they can't handle it? Sometimes I feel that people need to be told the truth or you are doing them an absolute disservice. I try to be gentle and tactful, but I refuse to sugar-coat. It also really bothers me to lie, so I just try not to be brutal.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 12:51 am

Rhiannon0828 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Isn't also possible that people don't always want to hear the truth because they can't handle it? Sometimes I feel that people need to be told the truth or you are doing them an absolute disservice. I try to be gentle and tactful, but I refuse to sugar-coat. It also really bothers me to lie, so I just try not to be brutal.

Would you tell someone they are an idiot or stupid without them asking for an opinion about rather they are or not?

Or how about when someone says they can't do something and you think they are bullshitting? Would you tell them "Oh BS, you can do do this?" than telling them "Oh yes you can, you have done it before so you can do it again."

One time one of my aspie friends told me she didn't know what offends people but I told her she does know or else she wouldn't always be concerned about hurting peoples feelings before saying it. She always told me "I don't want to upset you if I say it" so that told me she was capable of knowing, also the fact she'd say "I don't want to offend you if I say it" "I don't want to upset you" when I ask for an opinion. Instead of being rude about it by telling her "BS." I was nice about it by pointing out to her how she does know what offends and gave her those examples. See, I was still being honest but I was still polite about it. You call that sugar coating because I didn't go "Oh BS" I think my aspie friend has just low self esteem because her family is always getting upset with her what she says and always accusing her of being rude and lot of things she says to them isn't even rude or offensive. She has always made posts here about her family and told us what she has said to them that upset them so that is how I know. No wonder she thinks she can't tell what offends people because of how her family treats her so it be very mean of me to tell her "oh BS."

I remember several years ago someone posted a thread here asking members to smile in their pictures and lot of people her said they are unable to smile. I screamed "oh BS." Now I realize years later that was rude of me and I could have said it nicer. I could have said something like "How are you unable to smile? It's not hard to move your lips to the side. There is your smile. How hard is it to do that?" See, I am still being honest but not rude about it. Is that sugar coating there? But of course it turned out they didn't mean it literally that they can't smile, they meant they don't smile because they don't like how their smiles look so they don't do it. Okay there is a difference between being unable to and choosing not to. They just used the wrong words. I also remember mentioning in that thread I don't see how people aren't able to smile unless they have Bell's palsy. That was being honest there and not rude. Is that still sugar coating?

Sometimes the "truth" can just be your opinion BTW. Like I think mothers who don't breast feed because they don't want their breasts to sag is a selfish reason to not do it. Same as if they also didn't want to get stretch marks. But I don't care if mothers feed their babies formula or breast milk. But I wouldn't even say it to them because I know that would offend them even if it's the "truth." But unless the convo went something like this:

Mom: What do you think of me not breast feeding?
Me: I don't know, why don't you do it? (I didn't know the reason why she didn't and I don't like to judge so how can I have an opinion about her not doing it if I don't know her situation?)
Mom: I didn't want to get any stretch marks and have them sag
Me: That's a selfish reason to not do it

She asked for my opinion is why so that be different. If she got upset with it, I would wonder why the hell did she ask me in the first place. I'd be pissed off if that happened and just assume she wanted to hear a certain answer and I hate that BS people do.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 12:55 am

I get told often by others that I say too many details and can't keep it short. So I tried to keep it short and it ends up being too short and taken in a rude manner.

Then I'm frustrated all over again and shrugging. :shrug: