NTs: how does disclosure help you understand?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 2:06 pm

When someone with ASD(or other conditions) discloses their diagnosis to you, how does it help you understand?

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2014, 3:57 pm

Well if someone wasn't looking at me when I was speaking to them or seemed a bit offish with me if I thought they were NT I would assume they were doing it deliberately so I'd go away. If I knew someone had AS for eg and they weren't looking at me or were being a bit off I wouldn't necessarily think they were doing it deliberately so I wouldn't avoid them. That could maybe be a problem if they actually did want me to go away - they would have to just come out and tell me :lol:

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2014, 6:08 pm

^ Story of my life. All Nts are so cautious, like screening and looking me in the face for "signs" or whatever and when unable to return these things even when I notice it (although have no idea exactly what), that I probably should send out some of their vodoo magic my mind just blanks and I'm just left alone like always. Have started to disclose my diagnosis now though and have noticed some different attitudes, I guess it's a big difference for an NT to know something about it although it seems to vary how much they really understand it in terms of communicating with me.