Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 4:42 am

I have various physical ailments that require attention. I realise that I need to see my GP about them.

However I cannot bear being touched.

When someone touches me, I lash out and become aggressive or violent.

I've tried taking half my olanzapine before going in the past, but I still end up crying and raising my voice while being examined (and even then i can only take mild physical contact like testing reflexes) and afterwards I end up vomiting in the female toilets.

The physical problems I have would require a lot of physical contact to examine.

How can I get this done? I'm ill physically every single day and I don't get much of a break from it.

Mugen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2014, 5:15 am

I assume you have tried explaining this to a/your doctor and asked about possible approaches?
They may be able to give you something to sedate you or to allow you to be fully unconscious when being examined... for some medical problems though this is simply not possible or not practical. If you do talk to a doctor and they don't understand don't take it to heart! Call another doctor and try again!

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 6:04 am

Well, given that you're studying a medicine related subject at UCL why not make use of the facilities there? It might help if the doctor you speak to is someone that you know, that way you can take off some of the pressure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 7:36 am

Eccles makes Mighty sense!

I second his advice.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2014, 7:53 am

I agree. Maybe you can also bring along a close friend or relative? They can be a moral support as well as explain things for you and keep the doctor at a distance.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

timf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 8:51 am

I once asked a friend of mine who was a GP what percentage of people he saw were very touch sensitive. His initial estimate was one in 50, but then he reconsidered and said one in 100. Even at that small percentage a GP is going to encounter a couple of people every week.

Since the doctor is probably familiar with this reaction, you may want to ask him to work with you on finding a touch approach that is more tolerable as well as experimenting with any medication that might be helpful.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 12:25 pm

Great advice everyone, thank you. I will try them all out.