Panic attacks and responsibility. Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheConfuzzledAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2014, 5:16 pm

So guys, do any of you get panic attacks? I usually get panic attacks when I feel I have too much responsibility, how I usually get out of them is that I rock back and forth or pace for about 15 minutes. Usually, the "responsibilities" are not really dramatic or life-threatening, most of my panic attacks come from school, like not having delivered an essay when it's due, that really generates a lot of stress for me. This is probably not healthy, but I've formed an image in my head of myself that I want to live up to, and when I can't, I stress out easily. Much of my stress attacks come from memories, lemme give an example: I remember a bad desicion I or someone else did, and then I start thinking to myself "If I did something different, maybe I would be better off today." And that's where negative thoughts and stress appears, and from that, panic attacks. Does any of you guys have panic attacks? In that case, related to what? If it varies just tell. :)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 6:13 pm

Oh yes....... :shaking2: Like you, I am high-strung and stress out easily.

For me, any given meltdown (aka panic attack) is an overwhelming sense of disorder, as if everything is on me all at once such that I have no control. That bad part is that this actually is true! Entropy sucks. And it's somehow cosmically all my fault.

I do not seem to have the capacity to regulate/hold my emotions as compared to those neurotypicals. I do ruminate over happenings that are truly out of my control, trying to somehow devise reasons why it all happens. Oh, and that it all happens to me. I believe I might only have like 4 basic emotions (I've counted), so it's hard to sort-out emotively complex situations.

TheConfuzzledAspie

27 May 2014, 6:24 pm

LabPet wrote:
Oh yes....... :shaking2: Like you, I am high-strung and stress out easily.

For me, any given meltdown (aka panic attack) is an overwhelming sense of disorder, as if everything is on me all at once such that I have no control. That bad part is that this actually is true! Entropy sucks. And it's somehow cosmically all my fault.

I do not seem to have the capacity to regulate/hold my emotions as compared to those neurotypicals. I do ruminate over happenings that are truly out of my control, trying to somehow devise reasons why it all happens. Oh, and that it all happens to me. I believe I might only have like 4 basic emotions (I've counted), so it's hard to sort-out emotively complex situations.

Like staring into a mirror! I have most of what you're describing here right now, especially the ruminating. I usually overthink things way too much, so I usually have to do something all the time to prevent me from wandering off into thoughts, which evolve into negative thoughts...

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 6:27 pm

I have panic attacks for the same reasons, when I was a young child I used to get them if I was late for school or if I was alone at lunch time, I think the hall was too loud.

I went through a bad time a while ago when I had to take a year off college because the work got too much and I was having panic attacks all the time, its not as bad now though. Mine are not from standards I set myself, its more a negative feeling of "I cannot do this", "I can't cope" and that sets it of, just feels like the responsibility is too suffocating.

I have worked out that sequencing problems may be why I get overwhelmed quickly, if you cannot organise it can get confusing

I generally have a panic attack if I am told of by teachers, I am ok being told of by my parents though

I don't rock back and forth with them, usually all my muscles freeze up, I hyperventilate and squirm around and say nonsensical things.

sometimes though I don't know why I have them.

thatoneguy767
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2014, 7:16 pm

Yes I have problems with panic attacks. I've been working on this though. Still get them sometimes if something goes wrong. Late for work mess something up. But I have recently been premoted into a high stress and responsable position. I was freaked at first but figured out there's some many things I have to pay attention to that if I just focus on everything I have no time left for bad thoughts. Unless something goes wrong and its my fault. I'm basically responsable for the actions of about eleven other people and countless machiens at any given time. Along with way to much paper work and working on the machiens. Its really kind of a relief to think so much and be forced to all the time. Now that I know what I'm doing.

TheConfuzzledAspie

27 May 2014, 7:35 pm

thatoneguy767 wrote:
Yes I have problems with panic attacks. I've been working on this though. Still get them sometimes if something goes wrong. Late for work mess something up. But I have recently been premoted into a high stress and responsable position. I was freaked at first but figured out there's some many things I have to pay attention to that if I just focus on everything I have no time left for bad thoughts. Unless something goes wrong and its my fault. I'm basically responsable for the actions of about eleven other people and countless machiens at any given time. Along with way to much paper work and working on the machiens. Its really kind of a relief to think so much and be forced to all the time. Now that I know what I'm doing.

No room left for bad thoughts, huh? That sounds like a philosophy I could use!

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 7:53 pm

I get a pressured feeling, when I have a lot to do, or feel like I don't have enough time to do something, or feel like someone might criticize me. It's not really a panic attack, more of an aggressive, frustrated feeling.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 7:56 pm

I don't have panic attacks, I bottle things up for a decade or more then have a nervous breakdown.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2014, 8:06 pm

I get them virtually every day. They are terrible and debilitating to me. I'm to the point where I need medication to calm me down, because targeted breathing doesn't work for me anymore. Anxiety just sucks, and when you couple that with constant worry about anything and everything, then it makes everything completely overwhelming.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:12 pm

I get them all of the time too. Practically anything can be a trigger for me: riding in the car for long periods of time, anticipation of even extremely minor changes of any sort, going shopping, homework or studying, not having eaten enough so that my blood sugar is a tiny bit low, and sometimes there really doesn't seem to be a trigger at all. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder(in addition to Aspergers)so my brain is simply hardwired for anxiety and I've dealt with it since I was a toddler. I too am completely disabled by anxiety without treatment including medications. Deep breathing doesn't do a thing for me either. In fact if can cause me to start hyperventilating if I am not already doing so! Also, the triggers that I mentioned, trigger panic attacks even with my anxiety being well treated.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:19 pm

I always have anxiety issues, but my actual panic attacks are people related. Probably due to an inability to connect, and abysmal social skills. :roll:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 4:51 am

Me too.

I cope by breaking stuff down into easier to digest tasks. Don't look at the big picture. It also helps if I've done similar stuff before and I can remind myself that I've managed tough stuff before and was successful.

TheConfuzzledAspie

28 May 2014, 7:55 am

franknfurter wrote:
I have panic attacks for the same reasons, when I was a young child I used to get them if I was late for school or if I was alone at lunch time, I think the hall was too loud.

I went through a bad time a while ago when I had to take a year off college because the work got too much and I was having panic attacks all the time, its not as bad now though. Mine are not from standards I set myself, its more a negative feeling of "I cannot do this", "I can't cope" and that sets it of, just feels like the responsibility is too suffocating.

I have worked out that sequencing problems may be why I get overwhelmed quickly, if you cannot organise it can get confusing

I generally have a panic attack if I am told of by teachers, I am ok being told of by my parents though

I don't rock back and forth with them, usually all my muscles freeze up, I hyperventilate and squirm around and say nonsensical things.

sometimes though I don't know why I have them.

Exactly, I start telling myself that "I can't do it, I'm a failure." Then the meltdowns get more intense

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

28 May 2014, 10:37 am

Yeah I get this, meltdowns because of tough decisions or responsibilities at work. I don't know anyone else who gets this issue so when it happens I also feel trapped like an animal in some mixture of panic and aspergers so far I've just been toughing it out without any medication in hopes that I can learn to cope with it better, some days yes and other days not so much. Yes my muscles all freeze up and my hearing becomes selective and I find speaking comes with great difficulty, I breathe faster or my heart rate becomes unsteady sometimes I rock to calm myself or rub at my face and head, the best option seems to be going off into a dark room for about ten minutes alone to re-collect my self.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 12:28 pm

Pobbles wrote:
I don't have panic attacks, I bottle things up for a decade or more then have a nervous breakdown.

You way of phrasing your experience made me laugh. :D

PN This does not mean I find you having a nervous breakdown funny.

TheConfuzzledAspie

28 May 2014, 12:32 pm

WhatHazard wrote:
Yeah I get this, meltdowns because of tough decisions or responsibilities at work. I don't know anyone else who gets this issue so when it happens I also feel trapped like an animal in some mixture of panic and aspergers so far I've just been toughing it out without any medication in hopes that I can learn to cope with it better, some days yes and other days not so much. Yes my muscles all freeze up and my hearing becomes selective and I find speaking comes with great difficulty, I breathe faster or my heart rate becomes unsteady sometimes I rock to calm myself or rub at my face and head, the best option seems to be going off into a dark room for about ten minutes alone to re-collect my self.

I also rub my face and neck, I don't know why. Nice to know that I'm not the only one with these problems.