Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 4:12 pm

How long will it be before society stops making us conform to its rules?

RareCoin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2014, 4:36 pm

Why do we conform? To please others? To please ourselves? I'm not sure I can answer that question :o

I do however, think that conforming to the standards of others is dysfunctional. Whether it be family, a spouse, a social group, breaking your own moral, ethical, or social standards to comply with someone else just feels wrong.

I think it's easy to fall into the trap that because we have a disability, we are in the wrong, and therefore must "fix" ourselves to comply with the norm. As I've gotten out into the real world and started working in a very diverse environment, I've been forced to realize that there are a lot of different beliefs and dynamics present in other people. I think there are a lot of people outside of the autism spectrum would would advocate against following the sheep mentality and going along with everyone else. It's certainly not the easiest thing to do, but I think it is the right thing.

Not sure if this is what you were talking about, but that is my interpretation, hope it helps.

AdamK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2014, 7:03 am

Something that bothers me is having to look people in the eye when I see no need for it and it makes me uncomfortable. Or having to smile for reasons of social interaction, even though I'm not feeling particularly happy. We are put under pressure to lie, so we seem acceptable to others. Or so we don't get bullied. I know I don't do it to please my self. However, if I don't, I'm percieved to be "Weird" or something else that I'm not. Why should people presume that it's weird to not do something you don't want to do for reasons that you don't understand, when nobody actually comes out and tells you to do it, but they somehow magically expect you to know that you should? This might not be helpful. Guess I just wanted to rant. I know how you feel jamsey. What can I say? Only this: choose to do it if that seems right to you, or just to ignore society's rules if that seems right to you.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 10:36 am

Rules? There's rules?

I thought there was a large set of common practices, most of which make no sense and should be ingored as a result. :D