If EVERYONE was like YOU would the World be a better place?

Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

YES. I do not have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
NO. I do not have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
YES. I have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 27%  27%  [ 24 ]
NO. I have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 60%  60%  [ 53 ]
UNDECIDED. I do not have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
UNDECIDED. I have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 89

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 5:09 pm

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 5:24 pm

No cuz there'd be no wimmin.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

No because then one would go to college and there wouldn't be any new inventions or new cars or new technology or any computers being built or fixed, etc. Our life would be Life After People lol.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm

?He who is different from me does not impoverish me - he enriches me. Our unity is constituted in something higher than ourselves - in Man... For no man seeks to hear his own echo, or to find his reflection in the glass.? ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 5:47 pm

That's funny 140lbs :)

I clicked yes, the main reason being that cruelty to animals would stop immediately.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:16 pm

Definitely. My morals rock.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:25 pm

It?d really suck?but, in fact, this is moot, because the human species would?ve gone extinct long ago.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:41 pm

No, and not because I have Asperger's. I just really suck as a human being.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:44 pm

That's a rather extreme statement.

Why do you feel that way, Skibum?

I don't happen to share that opinion.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:47 pm

Nor do I, Skibum. Be kinder to yourself please.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:53 pm

Thanks guys. That is really nice of you to say. I really appreciate that.

It's hard to explain why I feel this way but I feel it all the time and always have and so many people remind me of it all the time. I make a lot of messes everywhere I go and whenever I open my mouth or do things and people are constantly pointing out to me that I am a loser. I know that I have some nice qualities too but very few people point those out. I am grateful for the two few people who do but almost everyday I am bombarded by how I messed this up or that up. It gets to where I just realized that I don't know how to be human really. I do a lot better when I am around horses or cats.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:54 pm

I think you need an extended kayak vacation.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think you need an extended kayak vacation.
combined with a ski trip. :D

Wreck It Ralph

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 7:26 pm

No way. On the opposite and this is because:

a) I'm bitchy
b) I'm REALLY very, VERY bad with organizing and planning and taking care of msyelf - I can't imagine how it is that people are capable of for example starting and running a business, taking care of a family, ruling countries and so on. I just can't plan my next step when I do something. Imagine the whole planet of such folks :? I'm disabled in this respect, normally like a preteen kid IS disabled when it comes to stuff like that (and hence needing help in practically every respect when it comes to self-help skills). Can you imagine an eleven year old housewife, a twelve year old president? You get it, then. (I don't count in wunderkinds).

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2014, 7:28 pm

Not sure imagine 7 billion+ borderline Sociopaths I'll let you guys decide.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 7:50 pm

No. A society made up of clones (and presumably, opposite-sex equivalents) of me would collapse within a generation, despite our best efforts.

I have some deficits that do not permit independent living, and while a lot of "me"s could try to create some infrastructure that would allow for support, we would not be able to organize well enough to keep a society going.

There are some jobs that I am not capable of doing. I would be capable of growing food, caring for domestic animals, and hunting, but I would not be capable of dealing with unexpected circumstances. Because the whole society would be made of me-clones, we would try to plan for unexpected circumstances, and as such we would survive most disasters--until one came along that we had not planned for, and at that point we would not be able to cope, or even survive.

We might be able to deal with problems like how to distribute food without anyone being capable of long-distance driving (we would probably have automatic railway lines rather than highways) or supermarkets (we would have vending machines). This infrastructure would probably rely heavily on machinery and most jobs would involve either designing, operating, or maintaining machinery. Such a society could be marginally sustainable.

But we would never get to have machinery in the first place.

I am essentially unemployable because I cannot sustain effort for very long, cognitively. The work week would have to be very short--no more than fourteen hours, with two to three months worth of vacation per year. And that would be a problem: In order to get to the sort of high technology that would allow for it, we would have to survive an industrial revolution with its attendant requirement of fifty-hour work weeks.

The only other alternative would be to stay in a hunter-gatherer society, which also has very short work hours. So the technology would not be an option, because we could never get to it. Hunter-gatherer bands, thirty people or less, would be able to get around that by living only in temperate or tropical fertile areas. We would not be able to develop agriculture, because of the long work hours that would be cognitively unsustainable even if I were starving--probably especially if I were starving, because hunger reduces cognitive resources for me. We might be able to sustain herds of animals, which would be better than hunting--I do not have the reflexes or quick-planning ability to hunt without technology at least at the level of a modern crossbow.

We would have a tendency to create small, portable, technology--we would invent things to overcome the cognitive problems; we would probably invent things like sunglasses very early on, though they would probably be more like loosely woven plant fiber half-masks.

However, in a hunter-gatherer society, the problem of unexpected events is magnified. We would be able to solve any problem we could predict, but an unpredictable problem would cause collapse and death. We would be an evolutionary dead-end because we would not have the quick-reaction flexibility that neurotypicals do.

We would all be what modern society terms "gifted", which would help us do the inventing and planning. We would also be unusually non-violent, with even the worst physical fights causing no more than bruises. Shutdowns would be common and expected, a normal part of daily life and probably accommodated for in some way. But some things would cause everyone to shut down at once, and then we would be very vulnerable.

Not to mention: We would all be asexual. Understanding the need to reproduce, we would probably have sex anyway, but because of the low desire to do so, our population would remain low and in times of stress, would become even lower because we would not have the mental energy to negotiate the problems of having and raising children. One major crisis, and the population would drop too low to sustain, and that would be the end of us.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com