If EVERYONE was like YOU would the World be a better place?

Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

If EVERYONE was like YOU would the World be a better place?
YES. I do not have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
NO. I do not have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
YES. I have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 27%  27%  [ 24 ]
NO. I have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 60%  60%  [ 53 ]
UNDECIDED. I do not have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
UNDECIDED. I have aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 89

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 12:18 pm

If everyone was like me, there would be no bullying, that's for sure.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 12:44 pm

I'm 31 year old woman with the brain of a ten-year-old boy.

If everyone was like me, we'd be in deep trouble.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jul 2014, 1:02 pm

Yup. This thought has crossed my mind before. I think the world would be a better place, not necessarily a utopia.
And I do consider myself a good person. Consequently, I believe that some people are bad. This is a controversial outlook, but I don't care. There are innumerable amounts of people I know or know of who I think are terrible.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 1:23 pm

I like how all the answers are deep and thought-provoking. I feel like if this were posted on another forum all the answers would be 'Yesssss, i'm such a good person so yeah every1 should be like me and love each other and stuff!'

And on here it's just: 'Of course not, because the human population must be diverse; a vast variety of talents weave together to strengthen society, and in turn, the world. We need the artists, the plumbers, the doctors, the teachers, the garbage men; without them, our world and everything we've worked for would collapse.'

To answer the question, no. I'm almost afraid to leave the house, and I'm not the most pleasant person you would ever meet. But if I do become a published author someday, I'll nestle right into my own niche in society, even if it's small.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 1:29 pm

I have said to people in the past that they really ought to be more like me.

But I've only said it in jest of course.

....Well that's what they think anyway. :wink:

Protector88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2014, 1:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
If everyone was like me, there would be no bullying, that's for sure.

Same for me!

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 2:57 pm

skibum wrote:
No, and not because I have Asperger's. I just really suck as a human being.

Girl,you are so wrong.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 3:20 pm

Yes!

No wars.
Massive scientific progress.
People being compassionate and considerate.
When something needed doing, the ones who were best positioned to do it would just get on with it.
Others would help as needed.
We would replace urban environmental disasters and suburban sprawl with amazing feats of engineering. Paolo Soleri thought too small.
Eco-arcologies combining the best of urban living with environmental preservation.
Biodiversity in biomes great and small would be a primary goal.
Vertical farms!
Somewhere between the hive mind of doom and Monty Python we would find utopia, then move on because it would get dull after a while.
And we would build generation ships to visit the galaxy. If a joshua tree can live long enough to make the trip and our cultures have lived longer, this is doable.
What if we are first? We should make panspermia real!
OK, I a going off a bit here, but you get the idea. It would be awesome!

We would all be working to realize The Culture

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm

No because htey would all get A grades at university but would struggle to get a D ring on an apron done up!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 4:51 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:
I like how all the answers are deep and thought-provoking.

And on here it's just: 'Of course not, because the human population must be diverse; a vast variety of talents weave together to strengthen society, and in turn, the world. We need the artists, the plumbers, the doctors, the teachers, the garbage men; without them, our world and everything we've worked for would collapse.'

It's funny that you mention this because I was thinking about how shallow the responses seem to be because some posters seem to be thinking within the paradigm of the world having the same structure their society has now (civilized industrial society, it seems), and that the world would not be better because a planet full of people like them couldn't maintain this particular sort of society.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 5:35 pm

starkid wrote:
BritAspie wrote:
imagine 7 billion+ borderline Sociopaths

That reads like the description of a helluva action movie.
I think it would be more like a traditional economics textbook, everyone becoming a ruthless businessman in every area of life, not just business.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

On one hand, fewer people would be murderin' and engaging in sectarian violence and enforcing their bigotry.

On the other hand, fewer people would be doing work.

Not murderin' counts for very little if everyone starves to death once the tinned food runs out. Violent homophobia is far from a good thing, but if nobody ever took the bins out then sanitation issues would kill almost everyone anyway.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jul 2014, 5:44 pm

probably would of never made it out of the cave, so probably not

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 6:06 pm

I'd probably go postal if everyone on the planet was exactly like me. There are things about myself I just can't stand and when others resemble those traits, I REALLY don't like it. Plus, it would be isolating because I wouldn't get a chance to experience new perspectives and new ideas. Plus, how could I have debates or discussions with people if we all agree on everything?

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm

Variety and complexity are important for the evolution and survival of all life on Earth.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 12:28 am

For those of you who say there would be no bullying, wars, etc.:

I don't believe that's true. I'm not entirely sure about the war part, but I am about the bullying. Every one of us has committed some sort of atrocity during our lifetimes, whether we remember it or not. Whether we like it or not, every one of us has acted wrongly out of hatred, anger, or greed. I've done things and thought about doing things I can't explain. OCD probably plays a part, but that's not all.

Humans aren't perfect creatures. Even those who devote their lives to help others have done things they're not proud of. We've all committed some sort of bullying; bullying can come in small forms too, and we might not even realize we're doing it. You don't have to punch someone or openly mock them to be a 'bully'.

Humans are imperfect by nature. There's no changing that. Sure, some people try their best to live as 'perfectly' as they can [for lack of a better word], but hatred will never disappear completely.

Everyone has darkness inside them. At school, I'm considered to be the quiet 'good kid' (until people startled labeling me as 'scary' and 'a little ball of hatred', that is). One of my teachers from freshman year once joked that I could never do anything wrong.

But I have a dark side, and I struggle with it every day.

So don't delude yourselves. I'm sure you are all good people, but understand that you have similar faults as those who are known as bullies. It's just that some act on those faults more than others.