Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mr_Nice
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2014, 10:06 am

Is there a link? I met somebody that suggested bad handwriting was the development of a serious mental illness. I don't feel this is the case with me as i've had it all my life, no matter how i tried in school, my writing was terrible unless i took a long time and then failed to complete my work :P. Does Anybody know if there is a link between Aspergers and bad handwriting? I had presumed so because Albert Einstien was reputed to have had Aspergers and definately bad handwriting. I also stayed in a youth hostel with a guy who had what i'd now call Aspergers syndrome. His handwriting was also. Perhaps it's coincedence. Does anyone here with Aspergers have bad handwriting?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 10:16 am

Dysgraphia (problems with writing) is a co-morbid disorder associated with Asperger's Syndrome and autism.

I switched from cursive writing to military-style block-letter writing in the third grade despite some push back from parents and teachers. I considered it faster to write and much less tedious than cursive. Never switched back (except for my signature). My handwriting is much worse now as a result of my physical disabilities (cervical-spine cord impingement with radiculopathy in my neck, shoulders, arms and hands).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 10:26 am

I also have scruffy handwriting and printing. On the other hand, I'm also a very good artist. There are times that I wonder how this could be possible.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 11:24 am

In school the teachers gave up on trying to get my handwriting to improve and told me to print going forward.

I can print pretty fast as a result - went thru two university degrees printing all my exams. My printing looks like hen scratching but at least it's somwhat legible. My handwriting has always been so bad often even I can't read it.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm

In third grade I had a melt down over handwriting.

I'm a leftie.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2014, 1:02 pm

Problems with motor skills are common enough that some sets of diagnostic criteria include them.

I have bad handwriting. It's either very scruffy or too small, unless I write slowly. I can draw well, but again only slowly. I'm also a leftie.

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

When I was younger I used to have OK or good handwriting. A bit slow but easy and clear for readers...

Now my handwriting looks like crap and after a few lines my hand hurt. I think it has become a lot worse because we type so much at the computer...

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 2:14 pm

People say I have very good penmanship. Which is incredibly amazing for someone like me who is sinister (left-handed). :roll: My main problems with my handwriting. are what most lefties experience -ink and pencil that smudge and smear easily. it's also a real problem when I draw a picture.
I was very good at reading and writing as a kid in school. I was praised a lot for it. Of course, we started cursive writing in third grade back then. I guess today kids have to be able to at least write their own name in cursive along with being able to read small novels before even starting school. It's math that I've always had a problem with. Just looking at fractions in 3rd grade would make me dissolve into tears. :cry: When do kids start learning fractions, multiplication and long division these days? As soon as they're born, if not any sooner? :roll:
My NT mother who is also left-handed, however, had handwriting that's very difficult to read. Sometimes she can't even read it herself! According to what she read about it, she has the handwriting of a serial killer. She thinks that's hilarious. :)

I find it surprising that people with Asperger's have problems fine motor skills and that it's supposed to be typical. It's gross motor skills that I have a problem with. I remember as a kid being excused from class and seeing a physical therapist who tested me while I did things like catching a ball that didn't appear to be coming right at my head, playing a game of hopscotch without losing my balance, and walking up steps like a normal person. And nowadays, your kid should be able to do gymnastics before they can even walk, or they'll never get into college. :roll:

DianeDennis

30 Jul 2014, 2:19 pm

My son has very bad, very tiny, printed (as opposed to cursive) writing that is difficult to read but he thinks he has terrific writing, will even come show me "how good his writing is". [Not] He's 20 years old by the way. He was diagnosed with Asperger's at 12 years old but should have diagnosed before the age of 3 with Autism (but now it's all Autism anyway).

I on the other hand have beautiful, very easy to read, cursive writing (I have been complimented on it for many, many years, all the way back to 5th grade, and I also am on the spectrum.

And yet my son can't read it, he can't read anyone's cursive.

So I guess there could be a tie-in, the one poster mentioned another condition that can be a co-morbid diagnosis and I have no reason to doubt that. :)

I hope this helps! Have a great day!!
Diane
PS: My dad has very bad handwriting (he's on the spectrum - he's 69 now) and he owned and personally ran several successful businesses so good handwriting isn't a "hold-back" any longer like it used to be in "olden" days... :)

Tilda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm

My hand writing is very neat, I'm told. But it takes quite a long time for me to write something on a paper, so I hate writing with my hand.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2014, 2:38 pm

Yeah, I was constantly told as a kid that I had terrible handwriting to the point where it was illegible to most people. I'm still told I have terrible handwriting (which makes part of my job difficult) but at least I've gotten slightly better since childhood.

But I have heard that bad handwriting is a symptom of ASD. However, several ASD symptoms are common so it's not necessarily "People who write bad have ASD". It's best to see if any of the other symptoms match up with you first.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

30 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

If you have ever seen Leonardo Da Vinci's signature on his paintings, it might give you some inspiration to not worry about it too much. I have noticed a difference when older people get a stroke. But that is noticeable all around.

Personally I don't like my handwriting. Don't use it much at all either. I usually write bold caps.

Nick22
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2014, 3:31 pm

I have awful handwriting. Much of which I blame on my really poor pen grip. Remember people trying to get me to adjust it at school, but I was too stubborn to do anything about it. Ultimately one of the reasons I did maths at uni - less to write, and goodbye to aching hands at the end of an exam

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 3:32 pm

I have such bad handwriting that gives me cramps in my wrist. :roll:

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 4:14 pm

I often can´t read my own scribbling. At school, I struggled all my years, and at last I gave it the finger.
If I really controlled form, the rythm went. It started neatly, and gradually it became stiffer and at last it went unmanagable and piled up in the lower right side as if I had a brain damage. (I actually thought I did).
Today I write freely with a bouncy rythm, but not very readable, I´m afraid.
I too have read, that bad handwriting is typical for ASD.

Gyrxiur
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2014, 4:35 pm

I have also bad handwriting, funny thing is, that my signature is always different. I am surprised, that I hadn't any problems with it jet, do they even check these things?