What Would Your Ideal Living Situation Be?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

catdog86
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm

My Partner and I are thinking it would be nice to start an autistic commune for people with ASD to live quiet, productive lives (have their own garden and grow fruit and veg, bake goods for other people, be a herbalist) and have a quiet community of fellow aspies and auties who all contribute to each other with what they do. We were thinking a fantasy theme might be quite nice for most of us. LARPing as a lifestylesort of thing. But basically create our own self-sufficient village without the noise, ulterior motives and fear of living in human society.
Basically my partner and I want to get away from 'civillisation' and live a quieter life where we worked as a community with other aspies to support ourselves and each other and we were wondering 1, if anyone thinks it'd be a good idea and 2, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for what they'd like support-wise from an Aspie and Autie village.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm

In a gender neutral world, surrounded by quasi-futuristic things.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2014, 5:08 pm

I would like to live alone in a cave, with no other humans within range.

But I would obviously need ready access to shops, healthcare, and the internet etc., and it would be nice if the cave were to be heated in winter.

Come to think of it - that's pretty much how I live already!

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 5:33 pm

I have always wanted to live in a top secret underground facility, like this recently declassified vault:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWA5Z32tiKM[/youtube]

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2014, 5:55 pm

Humanaut wrote:
I have always wanted to live in a top secret underground facility, like this recently declassified vault

In the UK, there were 'Regional Seats of Government' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_S ... Government

I remember stories from not too long ago that some derelict RSGs were being discovered in woodlands etc, and were being made accessible again.

There are also stories that early in WW2, when we were seriously expecting to be invaded by German troops, there were underground barracks being built so that British special forces would be able to hide underground and then emerge at a later date in order to create mayhem for the occupying forces - an ideal job for us Aspies!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm

I would just like the be self sufficient with out having to kill myself day in and day out to do achieve it

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

Personally, and this is just me, anything to do with being part of a community makes me want to run. I have never been good at trying to be part of anything that is a group or collective of people, and it would probably be the same even in this situation.

My own ideal living situation is if I could afford my own house, in some acreage of land to ensure physical distance/separation from nearest neighbors, and to be left alone to do my own thing. Being part of a community working together as a team in any way has never worked out well for me. I want to be alone with nothing to owe anyone.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 9:13 pm

I'd be all over this idea. The best part would be not having to live in North America anymore since it looks like you're in the U.K. LOL

--Aldous Huxley

HamtaroCappy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm

In a house alone, with a Shiba Inu as my housemate. I haven't thought about it much more than that, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 10:44 pm

a self-contained community on the planet-facing side of phobos or deimos, under a geodesic dome. btw, what is "LARP-ing"?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 12:04 am

A med-large shop, maybe with enough room for 3-4 cars-ish, good 240v electrical, well stocked with tools and maybe some sort of room to spend my sleeping hours if the budget allows. The priority is to have space to design, create and maintain, I can't be alone here.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2014, 12:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
a self-contained community on the planet-facing side of phobos or deimos, under a geodesic dome. btw, what is "LARP-ing"?

Live Action Role Play. I don't know much about it, but I think it's people getting together to act out scenes from movies or perhaps re-enact battles like Civil War re-enactments. I think they dress up as historically accurate as possible. I might be mistaken about any or all of this, though! I only know what LARP stood for as I kept seeing the term on ebay when looking for medieval clothing (I went through a phase where my special interest was womens' medieval clothing! I wanted to dress medieval all the time - as if people didn't already think I was an oddball LOL!)

To answer the OP's question - somewhere quiet, preferably out in the country (see my Noisy Neighbours thread for reasons why!) so I could have a horse of my own! But living with someone who understands that I need my space & my quiet time to myself. I'd live alone but I always fear that if I choke while eating there'd be no-one to help me!

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 12:28 am

1. It's a good idea but it would be very difficult to achieve. Different autistic people have very different quirks and some of them could annoy each other badly. If you can plan the details of how to accommodate very different kinds of autistic people, I believe it would be a fantastic community.

2. You would need specialized mental health care for autistic people. Also transport service for someone like me who cannot drive.

I would rather live in a big city where shops, public transport and other essentials are within a walking distance. So maybe a many modern 70 or so storey apartment houses, with a large area around for growing fruits and veggies, with a train station and a huge supermarket within the community area would be nice.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 12:29 am

Living with my partner and a couple of roommates. The more people, the better; I would also have a guest space to have people over for dinners or just to hang out together. Ideally, I would like to always be able to socialize with somebody and work on things alongside each other. I can't seem to think properly or be very productive if there is no interactive brainstorming involved.

I don't really have much of a "personal space", don't need alone time, and love the idea of an autistic commune, as long as there are some relatively social people living there who share at least one of my interests. :)

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 12:42 am

Living with my parents in a big house that has good internet and cable service, plus with a few dogs and a pig. That will never happen though

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2014, 5:09 am

Living in deep countryside, down a long dead-end lane off another dead-end lane off a once main road now blocked off because of a weak dam. One passing vehicle per week (a tractor), nearest neighbour 200 metres, with a 5,000 sq metre garden into which nobody outside can see except in winter, in a cottage with no name, no letterbox and no doorbell. Not on Google Streetview, you can find us on Google Earth, but only if you know where to look.

We've lived here three years, and it suits us fine!