Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 11:50 am

This has been kinda bothering me for the past couple years. I have no drive to achieve anything that isn't a part of my special interests. I have no interest in having a nice car, a house of my own, a career... ect.

When people ask me where I see myself in 5-10 years, I kinda go blank. I have NO IDEA what I will be doing in that time! I don't have ANY plans beyond a couple years. The reason I've planed a couple years ahead is just because it's gonna take that long to save up for the new telescope and rc car I want to get. The only long term ambitions I have is to build a mobile observatory out of a small box trailer to house my telescope, which would be a several year project.

I have no interest in finding a wife and having kids and having a home of my own. I've never actually lived on my own and I'm kinda wondering if I even could live by myself successfully (I have a tendency to spend money that should go to bills on my special interests).

Anyone else have life goals that only extend a few years into the future? Is this "abnormal"?

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 12:28 pm

As an adult, I always had difficulty answering the question, ?Where do you see yourself 5 years from now??

I think, for me, it is related to my inability to set goals. Things were easier when I was younger (as my goals were effectively set by my parents). Unfortunately, since reaching adulthood, I have a heck of a time setting goals. And, when I have no goals, I feel like I drift aimlessly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

I thought you were an engineer, or something of that ilk.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 1:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I thought you were an engineer, or something of that ilk.

Nope. I detail cars at an auto dealership. My screen name refers to one of my special interests (jet engines). I built a working turbojet engine when I was in high school.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2014, 1:40 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
Anyone else have life goals that only extend a few years into the future? Is this "abnormal"?

Not abnormal for aspies, I think. I have been pretty aimless in my life and still am to a large extent. I am in my early forties and a wife and kids are still a distant dream for me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 2:39 pm

I don't think that's abnormal even for NT's.

I know somebody who actually had a special interest in car detailing--from the time he was a kid--and now owns his own business.

You're still pretty young, JetBuilder--about 28, if I'm not mistaken. Ever thought about becoming an aircraft mechanic?

One of my brothers-in-law is a retired aircraft mechanic, who earns a nice pension now (he gambles too much, though).

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm

jetbuilder wrote:

I'm the same, but it has more to do with the outlook on life that I've adopted than my core personality, because I used to be the sort of person who set typical long-term goals, the kind pertaining to career and home ownership.

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2014, 3:27 pm

I see my future all black, don't like to think about all the things that I'll have to deal...
maybe an asperger thing, maybe depression, idk

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm

bguimaraes wrote:
I see my future all black, don't like to think about all the things that I'll have to deal...
maybe an asperger thing, maybe depression, idk

Hope it ends up better for you. But I know the feeling. Thinking about things too much overwhelms me. I try to stay in my happy place, in my special interests, where it's safe and calm.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 7:42 pm

A couple years? You're doing better than I am.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 8:36 pm

The only thing I'd ever want to do with my life is write, which I don't even have the patience for anymore. I don't know what direction my life is going, nor do I really care. I graduate high school in a couple years and I've never had any idea what I want to do for college. I don't have any real goals besides surviving marching band [hell] for another two years. But there's nothing I'm working towards or hoping to accomplish.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 8:40 pm

You're only sixteen. Just concentrate on graduating high school, and getting a good SAT/ACT score (which I'm sure you'll get). Perhaps you'll end up an editor or something, since you like writing.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 8:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're only sixteen. Just concentrate on graduating high school, and getting a good SAT/ACT score (which I'm sure you'll get). Perhaps you'll end up an editor or something, since you like writing.

I decided to omit this part originally, but basically any job that kind-of-sort-of involves writing skills but isn't fiction writing isn't worth it to me. I'm overly critical anyway. I'm always looking for negative things to point out just because anything remotely 'wrong' agitates me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 9:20 pm

I hope you never preclude yourself from success because you're hypercritical of yourself.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm

Oh, I will.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 9:25 pm

Maybe your hypercriticality is the stuff of "genius." Do you have any of your writing posted on this site?