Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Aardvark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2007, 7:31 am

Something I posted on AFF:

I've seen a lot of "Is House Aspie?" threads here and elsewhere. Apparently the show's creators are addressing it now! Just watched episode "Lines in the Sand" where House treats a profoundly autistic boy who has pica and gets sick as a result.

Wilson talks to Cuddy to try and resolve the problem with the carpet, "I'm going to read you something. 'Asperger's syndrome is a mild and rare form of autism. It is typically characterized by difficulty establishing friendships and playing with peers, trouble accepting conventional social rules, and they dislike any change in setting or routine'... or broadloom. Doesn't say that last part but you get my point.
Cuddy isn't buying it, "House doesn't have Asperger's, diagnosis is much simpler; he's a jerk."
Wilson:
"Why do you think he took this case? Because he believes these parents? Because he wants to help a young boy? He sees himself in this kid and he's trying to help himself. He doesn't want this, he needs it."
Later Wilson tells House, "You're not autistic; you don't even have Asperger's. You wish you did, it would exempt you from the rules, give you freedom, absolve you of responsibility, let you date 17-yr-olds. But most important it would mean that you're not just a jerk."

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 7:44 am

Given what Wilsons last statement to House is...about As some how absolving you of responsibility...makes me doubt he understands it well enough to DX House(or maybe even tie his own shoe laces)I dont think that proves anything except that the writers or Wilsons character are ignorant about AS.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 7:49 am

Frankly, house shows just about every symptom of aspie. He acts a lot like I did as a kid.(knowledgable, altruistic, confident, seems arrogant, solitary, honorable, etc...) To simply say he is a jerk, or smart, is ignoring so much else. BESIDES, he really isn't a jerk. Everyone else mistreats him or binds his hands, and he is trying EVERY means to counter that.

Steve

Aardvark

01 Mar 2007, 9:28 am

krex wrote:
Given what Wilsons last statement to House is...about As some how absolving you of responsibility...makes me doubt he understands it well enough to DX House(or maybe even tie his own shoe laces)I dont think that proves anything except that the writers or Wilsons character are ignorant about AS.

No, I think there's a difference. I don't think they're saying that "AS is an excuse" or that "AS absolves you of responsibility"

If someone with AS, for example, was "rude", it might not be his fault because he might not be able to follow certain social cues. If an NT was rude, that's a different thing altogether. Same action, different reasons behind it.

House, imho, isn't aspie. He's bitter, cynical (especially cynical) and doesn't believe in rules. Doc Martin would probably be a more aspie character.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:58 am

SteveK wrote:
Frankly, house shows just about every symptom of aspie. He acts a lot like I did as a kid.(knowledgable, altruistic, confident, seems arrogant, solitary, honorable, etc...) To simply say he is a jerk, or smart, is ignoring so much else. BESIDES, he really isn't a jerk. Everyone else mistreats him or binds his hands, and he is trying EVERY means to counter that.

Steve

I agree. I did have my doubts when I saw him in conversation with the woman he used to love etc, as he seemed more adept in social skills at that point and made good eye contact, but other than that, he reminds me of my ex who was very much diagnosed Aspergers. I like House, I find it amusing. I find what he says amusing.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 10:10 am

Graelwyn wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

I agree. I did have my doubts when I saw him in conversation with the woman he used to love etc, as he seemed more adept in social skills at that point and made good eye contact, but other than that, he reminds me of my ex who was very much diagnosed Aspergers. I like House, I find it amusing. I find what he says amusing.

Well, I can make eye contact. I got use to looking around the room like an idiot to act as if I am talking to every person PERSONALLY. They say to do that when talking to a group, and I have had to talk to many. I can also SEEM adept to speaking to women. ESPECIALLY to people here, but am NOT. And the women I speak to probably know it. BESIDES, he OBVIOUSLY wasn't able to KEEP her! That is the SECOND part, and probably easier than getting her.

Steve

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 10:17 am

I think the consensus was (when that show aired) that the character, Cuddy?, is either ignorant or denying it. Acquiring social skills as an adult doesn't negate an Asperger's dx. My husband took acting courses in high school and trained himself (social interaction) while working in retail.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 10:17 am

SteveK wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

Well, I can make eye contact. I got use to looking around the room like an idiot to act as if I am talking to every person PERSONALLY. They say to do that when talking to a group, and I have had to talk to many. I can also SEEM adept to speaking to women. ESPECIALLY to people here, but am NOT. And the women I speak to probably know it. BESIDES, he OBVIOUSLY wasn't able to KEEP her! That is the SECOND part, and probably easier than getting her.

Steve

This is true, he did not manage to retain here, lol. It is interesting...you do the looking around the room thing when talking to a group, I am afraid I do that when talking to an individual as I get so nervous and cannot retain eye contact for long periods...must look a little odd, but I have never really until recently stopped to consider that.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 10:18 am

SteveK wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

Steve

This is true, he did not manage to retain here, lol. It is interesting...you do the looking around the room thing when talking to a group, I am afraid I do that when talking to an individual as I get so nervous and cannot retain eye contact for long periods...must look a little odd, but I have never really until recently stopped to consider that.

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2007, 11:12 am

KimJ wrote:
I think the consensus was (when that show aired) that the character, Cuddy?, is either ignorant or denying it.

I think it is simply a matter of coherence. It seems it scares people if you suddenly change your way of thinking or behaviour on the fly (or anyway, you will seem too "easy" socially), so in the meeting the new information is acquired you hold the same opinion, while on the next meeting it is allowed you to change your facade, also because you have been given time to think about it (thinking in front of public is a sign of weakness for a NT :P).

Cuddy had to rebuke what Wilson told her upfront, but later she thought about it and conceded that House could have his carpet back.
Quote:
Acquiring social skills as an adult doesn't negate an Asperger's dx

Something that many here seems to forget. Maybe there are aspie too literal on the diagnostic definition of AS :P

Astilius
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2007, 1:48 pm

I've never considered House to be AS.
I actually don't like these diagnoses at a distance - people keep banging on about Einstein and Newton being AS. Yes, they exhibit some classic symptoms but since it's apparently difficult to get a diagnosis when you have a pdoc in the same room as you I fail to see how we can be sure about people long dead...or non-existant.

Anyway, AS or not House is great fun.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 2:05 pm

House isn't a jerk, though he seems like a sociopath he really does try to do good for his patients, and he succeeds.