Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 6:59 am

Narrator wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
When Leonardo Da Vinci's journals were revealed, they were FILLED with math and science calculations, etc.----Aspie!

I'm pretty sure I've met smart people who weren't aspie. We don't have the monopoly on being smart.

I don't think Cat is pointing to 'smart' but to the trait of focusing deep and long, possibly alone, on a task. Da Vinci surely showed great focus over long periods in all that he put on paper.

Isn't that a characteristic of genius though? :?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 7:05 am

We would have had no 2001: A Space Odyssey.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 7:08 am

SilverProteus wrote:
Isn't that a characteristic of genius though? :?

It's also quoted as a characteristic of aspiness.. the ability to focus on something for a long period, usually solitary, which is perhaps why Cat is suggesting him as a possible aspie. It's a reason some tech companies like hiring aspies.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 9:54 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
When Leonardo Da Vinci's journals were revealed, they were FILLED with math and science calculations, etc.----Aspie!

I'm pretty sure I've met smart people who weren't aspie. We don't have the monopoly on being smart.

No, you're certainly right about THAT----I've known smart people who were not aspies, as WELL. My point was, people aren't always aware of what an EXTREME polymath this man was----painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and writer----that's lookin' awfully Aspie, to ME!! ! (wink)

Narrator: Thanks for the support, there!! (smile)

skibum: You're soooo right----we're blessed to have BOTH you and WP!! (wink)

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 10:34 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

No, you're certainly right about THAT----I've known smart people who were not aspies, as WELL. My point was, people aren't always aware of what an EXTREME polymath this man was----painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and writer----that's lookin' awfully Aspie, to ME!! ! (wink)

I think that one of the main reason that "most" aspie have such high intelligence is not because we're born with some kind of so called super-brain, but rather because, the academic discipline just comes easy for us. If you think about it, we don't spend much time playing, working and socializing and therefore, we spend our time mostly doing other things.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 10:40 am

Inventor? Because he doodled in his notebook? Did he invent the helicopter? Did he invent a helicopter that could actually fly, if built? Did he build it?
Maybe he knew everything but it was easier to know everything five hundred years ago. I can't fault him as an artist.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 10:43 am

LupaLuna wrote:
the academic discipline just comes easy for us.

If only that was true in my case. I spend nearly all of my time in informal "study" but real formal study is difficult for me. I don't think my version of "study" really counts.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 10:55 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
Albert Einstein would have never came up with E=mc^2

I'm not convinced Einstain was aspy. He seems to have been really charismatic.

When they examined his brain a few months back they could only find one unusual trait, which was significantly increased connection between left and right lobes of the brain.

A separate study a little later identified that as a characteristic of ASD.

That may not mean he had ASD but it is a potential piece of evidence. The Einstein study was physical and the later study was done with MRI, etc.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 10:57 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
the academic discipline just comes easy for us.

If only that was true in my case. I spend nearly all of my time in informal "study" but real formal study is difficult for me. I don't think my version of "study" really counts.

What exactly do you mean by the word "formal"?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 11:15 am

I mean university, college, that sort of thing. Actual study for actual qualifications that are actually useful in getting an actual job. A few days ago I had a conversation with a friend of the family. I said I didn't like study and then he said I "live for study". I read a lot, websites, non-fiction books Wikipedia,. I just don't like being tested on it afterwards. Maybe I'll go back to college one day and maybe I'll like it better. I used to hate writing papers but nowadays I can't stop writing anyway. Anyway I hope that illustrates what I meant by formal (actual) study and "study".

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 11:21 am

There would be no Pokemon.

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2014, 11:23 am

LupaLuna wrote:
I think that one of the main reason that "most" aspie have such high intelligence is not because we're born with some kind of so called super-brain, but rather because, the academic discipline just comes easy for us. If you think about it, we don't spend much time playing, working and socializing and therefore, we spend our time mostly doing other things.
maybe it's not a "super brain", but apparently our brains do have significant structural differences from those of NT's.

anyway - world without asperger's = world without bob. and after 60 years, i'm still not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 11:42 am

Transyl wrote:
There would be no Pokemon.

Good. Satoshi Tajiri has an actual diagnosis, unlike some historical figures (or a few present day figures who are just keeping it to themselves).

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2014, 12:13 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

That's only a positive for, at most, the first quarter of one's life though. The rest of it it's a pretty severe disadvantage though.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 12:16 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Inventor? Because he doodled in his notebook?

No, because he invented / built (and, was manufactured) an automated bobbin winder, and a machine for testing the tensile strength of wire.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I mean university, college, that sort of thing. Actual study for actual qualifications that are actually useful in getting an actual job.

Thanks for explaining it to me. I should have realized that you where from Australia, and that some words have slightly different meanings.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
A few days ago I had a conversation with a friend of the family. I said I didn't like study and then he said I "live for study". I read a lot, websites, non-fiction books Wikipedia,. I just don't like being tested on it afterwards. Maybe I'll go back to college one day and maybe I'll like it better. I used to hate writing papers but nowadays I can't stop writing anyway. Anyway I hope that illustrates what I meant by formal (actual) study and "study".

I love to study but I can't stand the school environment. I just can't see how anybody can study in such an awful environment. But then again, that's just me.