Special interests and fact collecting

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2014, 9:33 am

I used to tell people about my interests more but now I'm pretty secretive about them, when I have them. I'm not sure I have one at the moment, but my last one was Dissociative Disorders (for the last couple of years I've been cycling through psychology related interests) but I've had another interest alongside those which could be called reading the news, but also involves lots of googling.

If I hear/read about something I don't know, I google it. So I end up gathering facts about he ocean depth or just recent things in the news. My wife is often irritated by the intensity/frequently which which I do this.

I'm not sure it's specific enough to be a special interest though. Your thoughts?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 9:38 am

Nothing wrong with continuous learning......at. all.

I think your wife might be irritated because she perceives that you are not paying enough attention to HER--only to your interest in intellectual inquiry.

I get that from my wife all the time.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 12:04 pm

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:
...If I hear/read about something I don't know, I google it. So I end up gathering facts about he ocean depth or just recent things in the news. My wife is often irritated by the intensity/frequently which which I do this.

I'm not sure it's specific enough to be a special interest though. Your thoughts?

Me too!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:14 pm

Yes, web surfing to keep up with the news and looking up stuff that strikes your interest does count as a special interest, and is one I also have. There is a very good solution to the problems it is causing with your wife. Make her another special interest, and spend more time with her. :lol: I don't have this problem, as I am a hermit, but my web surfing does interfere with chores and other stuff.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 4:23 pm

I used to tell people about my interests more but now I'm pretty secretive about them, when I have them. I'm not sure I have one at the moment, but my last one was Dissociative Disorders (for the last couple of years I've been cycling through psychology related interests) but I've had another interest alongside those which could be called reading the news, but also involves lots of googling.

If I hear/read about something I don't know, I google it. So I end up gathering facts about he ocean depth or just recent things in the news. My wife is often irritated by the intensity/frequently which which I do this.

Me too.

I'm always fascinated by the real world.
I care very little about the feeding of imagined identities.
It doesn't mean I don't like or love the people, but imagination should not control people so.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 5:00 pm

...hm.........

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2014, 5:02 pm

I find with web surfing I get side tracked from what I am supposed to looking for by other things that pop up and it therefore eats up a lot of time. I prefer to find my facts in books, the funny thing these days is I find a lot of facts in fiction (I don't really read anything under 100 years old). But in answer to your question - very likely qualifies as a special interest.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:32 pm

left a private message for you
:)