Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lilybet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Sep 2014, 5:47 pm

Hello, I was just wondering how everyone else copes (or doesn't cope!) with changes in their lives? I'm struggling with anxiety and every time anything changes or there is even talk of change I panic massively and start to wonder if I'd be better off dead rather than having to face it. It can be over small things like getting a garden fence replaced to career and where to live decisions. I'm still not over the fence one, it was replaced a year ago, I couldn't watch them actually do the work and although it is much better than the falling down one, I am still tense everytime I see it. I'm unable to contemplate the job one at all without getting into a complete state. This is causing a huge problem for me to keep on functioning and my attempts to live independently. Anyone got any ideas or experiences they wouldn't mind sharing so at least I can stop feeling like a paranoid freak?

Thankyou

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 6:37 pm

Low "Switching Tolerance" is a common symptom of ASD and related.

How do we cope? Most of us: poorly.

It just sux and has to be endured. Mostly.

If I know 14+ hours in advance I Reprocess the issue, that usually works well.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 7:00 pm

I usually cope well if I know in advance. For example, today I found out my current psychiatrist is going some place else. This means a whole new psychiatrist I won't be used to or know very well. She also won't know me very well, so of course I'm a little weary of her understanding me and the use of my iPad as well. It does give me three months in advance to prepare for the new psychiatrist though. I requested to have a woman because I'm more comfortable with them then I am with a guy. It takes me much longer to warm up to a guy than it does a girl. It just depends on how well they understand me too.

I don't know how I can cope with it. If someone told me at the last minute they had to change our plans, then I usually freak out. It's like one time when I expected to see the movie Ponyo the first day it came out. My dad said we couldn't because we didn't have the money for it, and I flew right off the handle by sobbing so hard. This was because I had been obsessed with the movie. Ever since then though, I've loved this movie, and it's able to comfort me in certain times as well.