get a trap that kills 38%  38%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 111

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

sharkattack wrote:
downbutnotout wrote:
If I throw it outside, it's just going to invade someone else's home, damage their food, and possibly spread disease. Best to get it over with quickly, especially since I'm already guilty via eating meat. Sparing a cute little mouse that I have to get rid of once it's dead doesn't absolve me of the cow I didn't have to see.

I agree with everything you say except one thing they are not cute. :lol:

I like their faces. :P

Then again, cows and lambs are cute, too, but those are killed in the name of everyone on this site who eats meat (and put through discomfort for everyone who consumes products like milk). The sprouts that grow into my corn are also cute, and part of a natural order far bigger than cuteness or consciousness. Those die, too.

llee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2014, 2:49 pm

For a few months of every year, my cats bring mice in. Luckily for the mice, most are still alive. Sometimes I have to shake the cats upside down for them to drop one out of their mouths.

If it scurries off, I put on a rubber glove and try and get it into a cardboard box and then release it in the grass outside somewhere on the opposite side of the house where the cats don't go as much.

I rescue the butterflies and moths they bring in as well. I even go as far to save little insects that I accidentally get wet in the bathroom.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:08 pm

No kill and release them near people you don't like.

That's what I do.

( :lol: )

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
skibum wrote:
B9, mice are clean in the fact that they clean themselves like pretty much most animals do. The problem is that even though they may be clean, their urine can still be deadly to humans. If you live in an environment where the mice have a natural home and you develop a relationship with them like you have where there is mutual respect, that is fine and wonderful. Even with our rabid feral cats in our neighborhood, they are not a problem because we don't put them in a situation where they pose a real danger. Our little neighborhood kids play in the alley all day and none of them have even been bitten. I did not even know the cats were a problem until my friend who works for the SPCA told me.

How do you know all the feral cats are 'rabid' if that was the case wouldn't they get all vicious and foamy at the mouth and be dying off? Or do you mean its likely they carry rabies so could infect a human with it? Just find it strange a whole population of feral cats would be rabid.
They are certainly not all rabid but our area has the highest rate of rabies carriers in the US as far as the info from the SPCA.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:18 pm

eric76 wrote:
skibum wrote:
As far as feral cats, we have a colony here and they are the animal which is the highest carrier of rabies in our state and we are the state which has the highest rabies in the US. And my street is the most concentrated rabies area because the lady down the street feeds the feral cats and they have kittens all the time. But fortunately as long as you don't approach them they don't come after you so we have never had a person bitten so we just leave them alone and the SPCA does their best to deal with that lady.

Doesn't sound like rabies at all. No cat has ever been known to survive rabies. If a cat becomes infected, it will die before too long. While they are still alive, cats are particularly prone to becoming vicious and attacking anything that irritates them in any way. Many rabid cats would attack you just for being in the vicinity whether or not you approached them.

Furthermore, rabies is such a serious health concern that if rabies among her cats were such a problem, the state would likely take serious action against the lady down the street to stop her from feeding feral cats including fines and imprisonment. They would also likely trap and kill every feral cat that they could find.

I think that in many states, the main reservoir for rabies is bats.
You may be right. I am just saying what the workers at the SPCA told me.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm

eric76 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
This site is effing useless. I just tried to edit my post above to add one more image but it rejected my attempt around 50 effing times to post it. So f**k it. I'm not bothering to try any more. This site is a f*****g mess.

When that has happened to me, I always had to resize the image to make it work.
I have never been able to post any images on this site or embed any videos. I know other people can do it so maybe it's just me.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I stopped up all the mouse holes.Steel wool is great for that plus the foam sealer.When they were getting in the house I got a small havahart live trap and then took them outside.
The best summer control is to have a large black snake living under the house.

Does it have to be a black snake? lol
Black snakes, as in the breed Black Snake, are wonderful. They are great mousers and very friendly and loving and affectionate snakes as well as being non venomous. We had some at our summer camp and used to hold them and play with them. One of them actually got injured once and came to us for help.

Wreck It Ralph

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm

llee wrote:
For a few months of every year, my cats bring mice in. Luckily for the mice, most are still alive. Sometimes I have to shake the cats upside down for them to drop one out of their mouths.

If it scurries off, I put on a rubber glove and try and get it into a cardboard box and then release it in the grass outside somewhere on the opposite side of the house where the cats don't go as much.

I rescue the butterflies and moths they bring in as well. I even go as far to save little insects that I accidentally get wet in the bathroom.

Yeah, one of the mice I had was brought in by my cats and I helped her escape behind the kitchen where she lived for a couple month.
The other mouse I don't know how she got in.
I also rescue insects they bring in, as long as they are in a state they still can be rescued in.
I was now for a couple days with people who have a swimming pool and I rescued every insect I noticed that has fallen into the water (except when I could not reach it and then I was devastated).
I felt so hard with them seeing them struggeling against drowning.
There were little spiders, flying ants, some worm-like insects, little flies and little wasps which I really liked as they were still in a golden colour (they had no stripes yet).
So I grabbed them and let them dry in my hand in the sunshine.
While being on my hand they started to "unfold" themselves and to clean themselves.
Some were dead however.
llee wrote:
I even go as far to save little insects that I accidentally get wet in the bathroom.

However I do not understand this sentence.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:26 pm

sharkattack wrote:
downbutnotout wrote:
If I throw it outside, it's just going to invade someone else's home, damage their food, and possibly spread disease. Best to get it over with quickly, especially since I'm already guilty via eating meat. Sparing a cute little mouse that I have to get rid of once it's dead doesn't absolve me of the cow I didn't have to see.

I agree with everything you say except one thing they are not cute. :lol:
think they are very cute to look at. I actually would not mind them if they used toilets and washed their hands and did not ravage the food pantry. You know that they also leave a urine trail everywhere they go. That is how they mark their paths and remember where they go and how to get back.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:28 pm

babyheart wrote:

Lol@ Cheese World pic TallyMan!
+1

Wreck It Ralph

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2014, 4:04 pm

llee wrote:
Sometimes I have to shake the cats upside down for them to drop one out of their mouths.

aw :( The way to quickly and safely open a cat's mouth without hurting the cat or getting bitten is to put a thumb and another finger on each side of the mouth, at the corners of the cat's mouth, and squeeze gently. (hand is under the cat's chin) Mouth pops open easy peasy.

My female cat once caught a little sparrow in the spring time when the males are all flushed red with their spring mating plumage - his breast feathers & head were a lovely red. I don't mind her catching mice but I wasn't going to stand by while she tortured that pretty little songbird. She knew I was coming for her and didn't want to be caught plus she only had him by the wing and he was fluttering so she had a hard time so I caught her and popped her mouth open with that method and out came the wing - I was afraid his wing would be broken but he was able to fly away up into the nearest tree alright. I was glad as I remember my mother trying to rehabilitate birdies with broken wings when I was little that our cat had brought in and it never ended well :(

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 4:06 pm

Mice are too cute to kill in my little world. Rats are a whole other thing. I loved Russell Hoban's "A Mouse and His Child," and "Mouse Tales" by Arnold Lobel, and read them to my kids until they were falling apart.

When I moved out here to Oregon I found I had mice when the cold weather came. I live in a cold old house and had to find all the mice holes and cover them up, but I still had mice. I got a no kill mouse trap, and after some practice I started catching them, and I let them outside in the bushes. But what was the real break through was discovering that they could get into my trash, and that was their goal. Once I sealed that up... they left.

Licking a bamboo leaf?s
spring rain...
mouse ~Kobayashi Issa (1818)

llee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

Eloa wrote:
llee wrote:
I even go as far to save little insects that I accidentally get wet in the bathroom.

:) For anyone outside of the US, I mean the place where the sink/basin bath and shower are.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:03 pm

llee wrote:
Eloa wrote:
llee wrote:

:) For anyone outside of the US, I mean the place where the sink/basin bath and shower are.
I know what you mean, I can get into the shower turn on the water then realise there's a small spider or midge I didn't notice. I rescue them too even if it means me dripping wet all over the floor to the window. :)

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:42 pm

In my house mice do not last long! This is the time of year they will begin coming in again as the nights turn cooler. They may look cute but as others have said, they are disease carriers despite their constant grooming. If you care for your family at all, you will be well rid of them!! Hantavirus is airborne I believe but definitely can be transmitted by touch. And the little buggers are always pissing away whether on the move, still, eating, etc. And it basically ruins most anything it comes into contact with. It is highly corrosive, smelly, and destructive!

I don't like to cause any living thing pain and misery. But given that choice vs having me or my family sickened, the mouse LOSES! I will NOT use a glue trap. Seen too many that will actually chew their legs off and die a long and prolonged death. If you learn how to properly bait and set an old fashioned spring trap, they are quick and effective. I have failed only on rare occasions with these traps. But I will re-bait them and set them back in the same spot and usually overnight they will return for another feed. Most always I get the mouse, been a few years since I had a crafty one take off with the bait.

Releasing them back into the wild will just make them come back to your home or someone else's. They are in no way endangered and while I will say they can be cute, the wild variety are anything but. If you like them so well, get them as pets (domesticated, disease free ones). They have been bred in captivity for hundreds of thousands of generations and make good pets. Just don't feed and befriend the wild variety. I love nature, but NOT when it invades my home!

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:43 pm

CosmicRuss wrote:
llee wrote:
Eloa wrote:
llee wrote:

I know what you mean, I can get into the shower turn on the water then realise there's a small spider or midge I didn't notice. I rescue them too even if it means me dripping wet all over the floor to the window. :)

Oh, I guess I understand: In my bathroom at the bathtub the jointing motar or jointing grout has fallen out and there are some very tiny insects, less of the size of a millimeter and before I take a bath I check the tub as there are usually some of the less-of-a-millimeter-incests running around and it's a hell of a job getting them out because they refuse to understand first that going onto the piece of paper I offer them will saves their lifes from drawning, and sometimes it takes about a couple minutes to bring one of them into safety, but there are more.
But I do not get wet as I check before putting the water in,
in fact I prevent them from getting wet.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.