get a non-kill trap and let it go in the woods 62%  62%  [ 69 ]
get a trap that kills 38%  38%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 111

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 4:15 am

Stephz98 wrote:
If the non-kill trap hurt the mouse severely, I would go for the one that kills so they aren't miserable. If I was using one that safely caught the mouse, I would most definitely release it. I used to often rescue mice and birds from my cat.

This no kill mouse trap doesn't hurt the mouse at all. http://smile.amazon.com/Smart-Mouse-Tra ... mouse+trap

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 6:53 am

TallyMan wrote:
............ This summer a feral cat managed to find its way into our attic where it gave birth to a litter of kittens - we just left her to it ....

b9 wrote:
it is kind of astounding how arrogant humans are. you just "left her to it" did you?. that is good.
at least you did not exercise your "human right" to deny her of her heritage.
should i applaud your restraint or merely acknowledge that you are smart enough to know you have no real authority?

No need to be nasty.

i am sorry. my post does seem rather terse i suppose. i did not mean to seem nasty. i perceived what you said about "leaving her to it" as equivalent to "i did not exterminate it". i then perceived that it is arrogant to feel self righteous for merely allowing another animal to live it's life in your "territory".

i tend to tar everyone with the same brush, and i have long felt that humans have a self appointed ownership of the whole of the earth, and that all that is done is for the greater good of humanity in their minds. i too often speak at individual people as i would speak through a microphone to the whole human race.

TallyMan wrote:
I meant I simply resisted the temptation to put down any food or water as that would encourage them to become dependent up me instead of them fending for themselves, as they will need to do, especially during the hard winter when food (mice) become more scarce.

yes i understand now. i also had this dilemma when i had my 8 mice. i was not prepared to give them any more food than would sustain only 8 mice. after a while, there seemed to be more than 8 of them, and they got reasonably cranky with each other fighting for the food.
i knew that just another hand full of cereal would calm them down and promote peace, but i knew that if i went down that track that i would eventually be feeding hundreds of them if i always increased their food supply to keep them calm.

nature forces even the most caring of hearts to acquiesce to the logic of supply and demand.

so i will say i am sorry again.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:08 am

here is a video of my mouse family from 4 years or so ago.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQr4IEaVbLw[/youtube]

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 9:08 am

They are cute B9. :)

Wreck It Ralph

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 2:23 pm

I have had to come to grips that all life deserves respect.
Anything less is simply the result of a mind virus that only humans have.

Tiffany_Aching
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2014, 6:22 pm

This isn't as cut and dry as you seem to think.

Mice are an introduced species here, so releasing it into the wild would cause more harm than killing it.

Snakes & spiders on the other hand, we're supposed to call the wildlife service for, even if they're venomous.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:24 pm

I will say it again, Peppermint!! In fact, I need to start spraying tonight since it is getting cool at night now.

Wreck It Ralph

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:24 pm

It is subjects like this that can bring some clarity to some individuals that haven't yet realized just how much they have been trying to imitate psychopaths throughout their lives.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

olympiadis wrote:
It is subjects like this that can bring some clarity to some individuals that haven't yet realized just how much they have been trying to imitate psychopaths throughout their lives.
Yeah, I really thought people would respond like I did, "Wow spray diluted peppermint all over the house, what a great, easy, inexpensive, no mess super humane wonderful solution!" I guess I was wrong since they are still talking about guillotines and glue traps!

Wreck It Ralph

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 8:02 pm

How a person regards the suffering of any animal is just one window into the vast repertoire of cruelty of which humans are capable.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

I think what is actually worse is that the vast majority of people intentionally turn a blind eye to the types of cruelty that you mention. They pretend that it doesn't happen, that people are just not capable of such things, and so on.
This is the behavior that equates to acceptance of such cruelty in our society.

Why is it so easy for the average person to ignore such things?
All I can gather is that they may say, "yeah, there's something wrong with those people".
Perhaps the existence of those crueler individuals somehow allows people to feel a little better about themselves?

I'm sure it must serve identity in some capacity or it wouldn't be such a common feature in our behavior patterns.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

I voted for the killing traps.

But I agree with one thing those glue traps are very cruel.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 9:31 pm

Depends.
If you want them gone and never coming back then kill traps are the way to go.
I've seen a few in my garage and just let them be since I don't have anything against them. These were just common little field mice, not rats. I will go out of my way to kill a rat. Somehow these mice found a way into the attic from there (I still haven't found out how) and more of them came in last winter. I'd hear them running around up there at night and getting into things so that's when it had to stop since they can do damage. I killed several with mouse traps. The old fashioned wooden kind with the spring and wire mouse snapper wasn't working out very well since the mice learned how to steal the bait without getting nailed. I found some plastic ones at Lowe's that are basically a set of spring loaded black plastic jaws with teeth. They have removable bait cups that can be baited with peanut butter. They really kick ass. When you hear one snap shut you've got yourself a dead mouse.

We had them in the building I work in, too. Same thing,' just common field mice. I used to feed them when they'd come by my desk. Someone on day shift had a hissy fit about the "rats" so base pest control was called in. They brought those mouse trays that have some kind of adhesive that the mouse's paws stick to and they can't get loose. I wish they would just use the kind of traps I use since, while still lethal, they are quick and much more humane. Every night or two I was finding a mouse struggling in one of those trays and having to put them out of their misery with a ball peen hammer. That was the quickest and most trauma-free way to do it.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 10:12 pm

I've never used either kind of mice trap. When I've found mice in the house, I caught them myself under a box or a cup, slid some cardboard underneath and took them outside. Sometimes I had to chase one down and move furniture to get to it, but I got it. Traps are useless, if you don't find out how they are getting in and close off the holes.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 10:19 pm

The glue traps catch other things besides mice,any small creature can get stuck in them.I know of one instance where a wren was caught.
On the remake of Willard he rescues Socrates from a glue trap.It's an interesting film.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 12:42 am

Misslizard wrote:
The glue traps catch other things besides mice,any small creature can get stuck in them.

I keep one on the kitchen window sill to catch flies.