get a non-kill trap and let it go in the woods 62%  62%  [ 69 ]
get a trap that kills 38%  38%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 111

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:08 am

skibum wrote:
B9, mice are clean in the fact that they clean themselves like pretty much most animals do. The problem is that even though they may be clean, their urine can still be deadly to humans. If you live in an environment where the mice have a natural home and you develop a relationship with them like you have where there is mutual respect, that is fine and wonderful. Even with our rabid feral cats in our neighborhood, they are not a problem because we don't put them in a situation where they pose a real danger. Our little neighborhood kids play in the alley all day and none of them have even been bitten. I did not even know the cats were a problem until my friend who works for the SPCA told me.

How do you know all the feral cats are 'rabid' if that was the case wouldn't they get all vicious and foamy at the mouth and be dying off? Or do you mean its likely they carry rabies so could infect a human with it? Just find it strange a whole population of feral cats would be rabid.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:12 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
are aspies nicer to animals than nts? if there was a mouse in your house, would you get a non-kill trap and set it free in the woods, or a snap trap/glue trap that kills?
i'd go for the non-kill trap.

I would imagine that some are nice to animals and some aren't. The same as anyone else.

Anyway, I prefer to use glue traps, but I often use the more conventional traps as well.

We had one guy around here who would use a plastic bucket with a bar over the top leading to bait and an electrically charged wire so that when the mouse touched the wire, it would shock him and he would fall into the bucket.

I've seen another with a cylindrical pole over the top of a 55 gallon barrel. The pole was oiled and then a cylindrical tube over that. When the mouse would try to run across the cylinder to get to the bait, the cylinder would slip because of the weight of the mouse and the mouse would fall into the barrel.

Don't forget that hantavirus is quite common in many parts of the country and is spread by breathing in aerosolized mouse urine. I like animals but I have no problem killing all the mice I can in order to reduce my odds of being infected with hantavirus.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:28 am

skibum wrote:
As far as feral cats, we have a colony here and they are the animal which is the highest carrier of rabies in our state and we are the state which has the highest rabies in the US. And my street is the most concentrated rabies area because the lady down the street feeds the feral cats and they have kittens all the time. But fortunately as long as you don't approach them they don't come after you so we have never had a person bitten so we just leave them alone and the SPCA does their best to deal with that lady.

Doesn't sound like rabies at all. No cat has ever been known to survive rabies. If a cat becomes infected, it will die before too long. While they are still alive, cats are particularly prone to becoming vicious and attacking anything that irritates them in any way. Many rabid cats would attack you just for being in the vicinity whether or not you approached them.

Furthermore, rabies is such a serious health concern that if rabies among her cats were such a problem, the state would likely take serious action against the lady down the street to stop her from feeding feral cats including fines and imprisonment. They would also likely trap and kill every feral cat that they could find.

I think that in many states, the main reservoir for rabies is bats.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:06 pm

Plan A)

Last edited by TallyMan on 12 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:14 pm

TallyMan wrote:

I like that.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm

Plan B)

Last edited by TallyMan on 12 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:20 pm

TallyMan wrote:
This site is effing useless. I just tried to edit my post above to add one more image but it rejected my attempt around 50 effing times to post it. So f**k it. I'm not bothering to try any more. This site is a f*****g mess.

When that has happened to me, I always had to resize the image to make it work.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm

Plan C)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:25 pm

eric76 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
This site is effing useless. I just tried to edit my post above to add one more image but it rejected my attempt around 50 effing times to post it. So f**k it. I'm not bothering to try any more. This site is a f*****g mess.

When that has happened to me, I always had to resize the image to make it work.

I ended up creating three posts, one post for each image. The site has gone to the dogs; the endless error messages drive me nuts.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:29 pm

I'm tempted to build something like this:

Not so much to catch the mice alive, but to keep the cats from getting glue traps plastered to their faces.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

I stopped up all the mouse holes.Steel wool is great for that plus the foam sealer.When they were getting in the house I got a small havahart live trap and then took them outside.
The best summer control is to have a large black snake living under the house.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:34 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I stopped up all the mouse holes.Steel wool is great for that plus the foam sealer.When they were getting in the house I got a small havahart live trap and then took them outside.
The best summer control is to have a large black snake living under the house.

Does it have to be a black snake? lol

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 1:02 pm

Along with all the problems we have on the spectrum the one thing we like to say is that we are individuals.

I am going to disagree with most of you.

The traps that kill every time, mice are vermin they spread filth and germs.

I also agree with other common sense suggestions in this thread block up all holes and don't leave food lying around unless in is in one of those nice killing traps.

And before any of you call me nasty most of us eat meat I assume.

If you release a mouse too close to your home it will just find a way back in.

Killing them is a sensible option because their numbers are totally out of control by leaving trash and food waste lying around we provide a 24 hour buffet for them.

This is not what nature intended.

If I caught somebody releasing rodents close to my home. :twisted: :lol:

:lol:

babyheart
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2014, 1:08 pm

sharkattack wrote:
Along with all the problems we have on the spectrum the one thing we like to say is that we are individuals.

I am going to disagree with most of you.

The traps that kill every time, mice are vermin they spread filth and germs.

I also agree with other common sense suggestions in this thread block up all holes and don't leave food lying around unless in is in one of those nice killing traps.

And before any of you call me nasty most of us eat meat I assume.

If you release a mouse too close to your home it will just find a way back in.

Killing them is a sensible option because their numbers are totally out of control by leaving trash and food waste lying around we provide a 24 hour buffet for them.

This is not what nature intended.

If I caught somebody releasing rodents close to my home. :twisted: :lol:

:lol:

:salut:

Lol@ Cheese World pic TallyMan!

P.S. PLEASE No PMs. Thank you! : )

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

If I throw it outside, it's just going to invade someone else's home, damage their food, and possibly spread sickness - whether or not they clean themselves, they're still wild animals. Best to get it over with quickly, especially since I'm already guilty via eating meat. Sparing a cute little mouse that I have to get rid of once it's dead doesn't absolve me of the cow I didn't have to see.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 1:33 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
If I throw it outside, it's just going to invade someone else's home, damage their food, and possibly spread disease. Best to get it over with quickly, especially since I'm already guilty via eating meat. Sparing a cute little mouse that I have to get rid of once it's dead doesn't absolve me of the cow I didn't have to see.

I agree with everything you say except one thing they are not cute. :lol: