Mother talks about killing her autistic daughter and herself

Page 5 of 16 [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

St33med
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2007, 8:44 pm

Sad. This makes people believe autism/AS is as bad as having a brain-dead person. That freaking Ms. Vice Drama Queen is stereotyping us. And if she's an NT... I don't want to talk about it.

If it's that bad for her that she wants to kill her own daughter, SHE NEEDS TO GET HELP, not just stand there in front of the camera syaing 'Oh I should've drove off the Washington Bridge!'

*End Rant*
*End Program*
STOP

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:46 pm

Alex,

Did you make it public on Youtube?

Zanne

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:47 pm

It was released on May 6th, 2006.

The petition that was created speaking out against Autism Speaks and the video is here -> http://www.autism-hub.co.uk/autism-spea ... /index.php

There are some comments on there by Anbuend (Amanda Baggs), Autism Diva and a few others speaking out against it.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Mar 2007, 8:48 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

The petition that was created speaking out against Autism Speaks and the video is here -> http://www.autism-hub.co.uk/autism-spea ... /index.php

There are some comments on there by Anbuend (Amanda Baggs), Autism Diva and a few others speaking out against it.

I see and Autism Speaks still has national tv ads advertising their organization. As I said before, why hasnt anything been done to try to shut them down and if something has been done, why hasn't it worked? this woman is a criminal and the Autism Speaks organization doesn't seem to have a spine either.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:55 pm

alex wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

I see and Autism Speaks still has national tv ads advertising their organization. As I said before, why hasnt anything been done to try to shut them down and if something has been done, why hasn't it worked? this woman is a criminal and the Autism Speaks organization doesn't seem to have a spine either.

Alex, how do you stop the CEO of NBC Universal from doing something like that? He has the backing of likely CAN and NAAR behind him too. When you have tons of money and influence, it's not an easy damn thing to stop for sure. And unfortunately with the Combatting Autism Act and all now in the US... I don't expect that unless a whole group stands up united... that it likely will end up being like running headfirst into a brick wall and expecting it to fall down as my father would say.

St33med
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2007, 8:58 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
alex wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

Alex, how do you stop the CEO of NBC Universal from doing something like that? He has the backing of likely CAN and NAAR behind him too. When you have tons of money and influence, it's not an easy damn thing to stop for sure. And unfortunately with the Combatting Autism Act and all now in the US... I don't expect that unless a whole group stands up united... that it likely will end up being like running headfirst into a brick wall and expecting it to fall down as my father would say.

Wait, that woman is the head of NBC?
Break out your pitchforks (and suitcases) everybody! We're going to there headquaters!

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:58 pm

alex wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

It makes me feel better that someone has tried. She shouldn't apologize, at least not until after she gets psychiatric help. She's not a criminal I don't think, she's just suffering from a tragic condition. I posted a link about the tragic condition she suffers from earlier, here it is again in case you missed it. http://isnt.autistics.org/. I think people with this horrible affliction shouldn't be allowed to speak for us in these organizations.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Mar 2007, 8:59 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
alex wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

well standing united sounds like how to do it. Although the group needs to be headed by someone competent...

to be honest, the autism hub people never even contacted me personally about this. I could have gotten them more national exposure.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Mar 2007, 9:00 pm

that woman is not the head of nbc. a guy runs nbc. he also happens to run autism speaks.

also, CAN and NAAR were absorbed into Autism Speaks already!

Last edited by alex on 04 Mar 2007, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

I signed the petition.

St33med
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

I want to see people's reactions of this on YouTube in the comments section. They are pretty mild. Meaning they do not support them, but they are not calling her names and such. Like I did. :?

Last edited by St33med on 04 Mar 2007, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 9:06 pm

They showed this "documentary" at the Sundance Film Festival in January of this year. You used to be able to watch a short version on Autism Speaks website, but I don't know if it is still up. It is a terrible waste of film, and an even more terrible attempt to use fear to get funding their eugenics campaign. The lady in the film works (and is the head of, I think) for Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me. This sort of talk is "tolerated" only because people don't understand Autism, and are afraid of it. It isn't a good thing, and it pisses me off.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 9:09 pm

I'm a little confused Alex. You're on that thread (Anbuend posted the link). The short version was discussed quite a bit at the time here. Various clips from that movie have been aired on tv, including the much publicized A Night of a Thousand Stars (a fundraiser produced by Jon Stewart).
I'm not part of the Autism Hub, but I assumed you knew all about that controversy.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Mar 2007, 9:12 pm

KimJ wrote:
I'm a little confused Alex. You're on that thread (Anbuend posted the link). The short version was discussed quite a bit at the time here. Various clips from that movie have been aired on tv, including the much publicized A Night of a Thousand Stars (a fundraiser produced by Jon Stewart).
I'm not part of the Autism Hub, but I assumed you knew all about that controversy.

see, this is why I think we need to make more noise. more people need to get informed about what this organization is getting away with.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 9:15 pm

alex wrote:
KimJ wrote:

see, this is why I think we need to make more noise. more people need to get informed about what this organization is getting away with.

If every single person with autism made noise about this (not all of us make noise either). We'd be looking at, oh, say 1 in 200 people. That's not very much. NT people will keep the stereotype created by these motherf*ckers at NBC or whatever. Autism is complicated to explain, and NTs have short attention spans.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 9:22 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
alex wrote:

If every single person with autism made noise about this (not all of us make noise either). We'd be looking at, oh, say 1 in 200 people. That's not very much. NT people will keep the stereotype created by these motherf*ckers at NBC or whatever. Autism is complicated to explain, and NTs have short attention spans.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Every change starts with one person. It all starts with a single voice. And 1 of 200 is a lot of people. About 1.5 million in the US alone. And they talk to people, and the people they talk to start talking to people...the number will grow exponentially. Fear thrives on ignorance. Reveal the truth of the matter, and people will start thinking differently. But if you don't say anything, nothing will change.