Have you ever met a schizophrenic person?

Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 7:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone here knows/has ever met a schizophrenic person. If,so how did/do they act?

As for me,I've seen a few at the place that I go for psychotherapy.

-SpaceCase

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 7:53 pm

Yes. One of my friends is married to a man who is Schizophrenic. I'm not sure how they diagnosed him. He didn't have delusions or rages. I know he was depressed when he went in, but that's about all I know. It does run in his family though. I do remember that. He's on medication for it now. I believe they have to keep adjusting it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 7:55 pm

I have met a few.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 8:05 pm

I knew a schizophrenic boy a long time ago. He had his psychotic break when he was about 17 years old. He shot his father, who was a right-wing, Catholic hard-liner (but didn't kill him). He used to sit on the roof of his house and crow like a rooster. He was a sweet boy, very shy, and very intelligent.

Nightcry
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2007, 8:14 pm

SpaceCase wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here knows/has ever met a schizophrenic person. If,so how did/do they act?

As for me,I've seen a few at the place that I go for psychotherapy.

-SpaceCase

I saw one in the shops once. Very nice lady. Just acted as a normal person. Even if I only saw her for maybe 10 mins and from a distance.
Must stop listening to other's conversations...

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 8:32 pm

I met one when I was in the hospital. She was very nice, but when she would sometimes yell at what she thought were demons inside her head, and she got very frightened whenever an alarm went off.

Antenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2007, 8:40 pm

My uncle is schizophrenic. He's pretty mellow these days, although my parents tell me he used to do really crazy things decades ago. (Eating light bulbs and crystals, for instance) If you have a conversation with him, sometimes he stops paying attention because he is hearing voices. Occasionally he will talk out loud to these voices...He's a very good potter by the way. My dad thinks throwing pots keeps him balanced.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 8:46 pm

i seen a black guy i thought was a crackhead walking down the street mumbling a few times. 1 time he was crying.

polyrhythmia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2007, 8:51 pm

I have met several schizophrenics. My half-brother's daughter is schizophrenic and is in a mental hospital. She first became that way when she was in her teen years. I haven't seen her in years though. My half-sister's former, now deceased, husband had it. A friend's uncle has it, and this friend introduced me to a guy who has it. So it is not exactly rare. What I found with schizophrenics was that what they said did not hang together, logically speaking. The ones I knew of apparently had delusions, also.

The last time I saw a psychiatrist, she recognized I was an adult autistic, and thought it was great that I was able to figure that out on my own. Then, she handed me a diagnosis of schizophrenia, ostensibly because I would be better able to get disability if I should need it. And she claimed that the treatments for autism and schizophrenia were the same: anti-psychotic drugs. Needless to say, I did not walk away from her, I ran (figuratively speaking), and even gave up the job I was working (the boss had pressured me into seeing a shrink).

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 9:04 pm

Very scary. I wonder how many people she has "treated."

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 9:07 pm

Dunno. I don't even know what a schizophrenic is!

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

25 Feb 2007, 9:09 pm

I have no idea if the man in fact had schizophrenia but I assumed he did. My nephew his girl friend and a friend were staying at a seedy motel and he came into their room a few time since a lot of partying took place. The things he said were so strange that for a few minutes I thought God had in fact sent him to us to send us a message. Maybe I'm the crazy one :)

He never claimed to be a messenger of God but his whole way of talking and the points he was making was hitting home to our precise situation that it was quite upsetting. To wards the end he was about to down an entire bottle of whiskey to prove some strange point only he understood when we begged him not to. Instead he offered us a drink. Because he was homeless and black many did not want to drink after him. But I think we all knew we had to show this man some respect and we all placed our lips on the same bottle of whiskey to show we were all equals.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 9:42 pm

A friend of someone I know is said to be. I have only met her when she has been taking her meds and she seemed very normal (although a bit of a tree-hugger) and very pleasant to meet.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 9:50 pm

My cousin was a long term schizophrenic. He spent quite a time in mental institutions (when we had such things) and for the majority of his life he was on a huge cocktail of drugs.

The strangest occasion I had with him was when he telephoned when I was out, and left a straightforward, no urgency message. This was when we were each living alone, and about 180 miles apart. I called back a couple of days later and someone with an (eastern) Indian accent, speaking very rapidly, answered the telephone.

After something over half an hour, speaking with this strange Indian, he had almost persuaded me that he was actually my cousin. He knew such details that I could not imagine any way for him to have found out about. I had actually been thinking up such things, to directly ask him. All the time, he maintained this fast, affected speech, with a strangely unfamiliar personality.

After I put the telephone down, I was so disturbed by the whole episode that I telephoned another cousin of ours. At this point I was preparing myself for a three hour drive to find out what was going on. I was still feeling that someone had somehow usurped my cousin's life/house/etc. It turned out that she'd had this from him a few times and was surprised that it was the first time he'd done it to me. Relief!

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 9:50 pm

I worked as a mental health advocate for a few years, and met several schizophrenics and many people with bipolar disorder. Sometimes they are similar in the kinds of delusions, especially with the paranoid aspect, though someone with bipolar starts off making sense.

The last guy I had contact with who had schizophrenia had just had a psychotic break was starting a cult who was going to go into the wild to train for the upcoming alien war. He seemed rational, calm, and yet he made no sense, and was arbitrary as hell.

People with schizophrenia act differently according to their make-up--some are very agitated, some are extremely paranoid, some are religious to a pathological degree...but unusual delusions are pretty common when it's untreated. Unfortunately, while there is treatment for schizophrenia, for a great many people with the illness, meds are not very effective, and come with nasty side effects.

Metta, Rjaye.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 10:02 pm

My first brush with schizophrenia was when I was commited to a State Hospital for Evaluation at the age of 11, in 1978. One teenager on another ward there had it. He was quiet, and otherwise seemed OK. On a camp excursion for all of the adolescent wards, another teenager asked me to go up to him and say, "Pssst, Pssst, Pssst, ( His first and last name) attack".

I did so, and he threw me across the room and came after me. It took 4-5 staff members to hold him down on one of the picnic tables in the cottage. I was asked what happened after he was taken out, back to the hospital, and I told the staff members what had transpired. --I didn't get in trouble for it, but the kid that told me to do it did.

My freind Dave was diagnosed with Schizophrenia after a bout of Amphetemine psychosis got him booted out of the Navy in 1980. ( He used speed to keep hiself awake when he was on base at San Diego, staying awake for over a month straight.)

I never saw him off of his medication, so he was essentially normal, though the medication that he was on caused him to sleep a lot.

Also, I watched another guy succumb to schizophrenia during 1989-1990. WHen I last saw him, medication was keeping him stabilised, though the side effects of the Medication caused him to gain a lot of weight.

Years ago, I knew a Punker couple. The female was ASD, and her artist boyfreind succumbed to schizophrenia. To be honest, I didn't like to be around them much after he was released from the hospital, and collecting SSI. --I hated the lifestyle/ trashy New England Redneck freinds that he had.

In 1988, He killed a guy, and was released from the hospital after his medication was adjusted. His girlfreind left him, and went out with another freind of mine, so I saw her a bit more frequently. --I saw him at a punk show in early 1991, and felt extremely intimidated by his presance.

Last edited by Fogman on 25 Feb 2007, 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.