Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 7:12 am

Super Brain yoga helps to cure asperger its commonly used in India and small children are told to do it when they make mischief also it
is done in front of Lord Ganesha idol as a form of reverance.

http://bollywood-fest-bratislava.com/20 ... nishments/

http://frommypen17.blogspot.in/2012/04/ ... -yoga.html

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Sep 2014, 11:27 am

Nobody answered you! I read this hours ago but I wanted to see what others might say. Sorry!

Well I looked at much of it and will read the rest later.
One objection the word "cure" but I'll put that aside for now.

I tried crossing my arms over my chest and grabbing my ears,
like it said in the article. I googled he acupressure points for
ears and tried to get those. I'm bulky and sure I didn't do it
right, but just the general idea.

My breathing opened (in the back I guess) and calm came over me.

That settled a few things for me - I'll have a more serious link
into this later and hope others do too. It seems to me that the exercise
might have other beneficial effects.

What I like about it is the quickness of use - handy against
a panic attack, for example. It might be situation-specific.

The image of Ganesh did nothing for me - distracted me a bit,
actually. I've often heard that those images (and the chants) are
universal but I don't react to them myself.

Here's hoping others will check it out. Thank you for posting it.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm

I think the pressure on acupressure points and sitting posture helps in opening of mooldhara chakra helps in relieving anxiety, panic attacks and opens up a closed mind which is full of fear.

Good to know it helped you a bit

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 2:17 pm

I have one problem with this. Use of the word "cure".

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Sep 2014, 2:21 pm

I hope we don't all let the use of the word "cure" rob us of a helpful thing. Should we look closer or close our eyes in protest?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 2:24 pm

I think relieving symptoms is a much better word than cure. You can't rewire your neurology but you can certainly do exercises and use diet and acupressure and massage and open your chakras to help relieve your symptoms. Thank you for posting these. Anything to help is good.

Wreck It Ralph

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2014, 4:26 pm

skibum wrote:
You can't rewire your neurology but you can certainly do exercises and use diet and acupressure and massage and open your chakras to help relieve your symptoms.

Acupuncture doesn't work and chakra doesn't exist. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar or stupid. Rewiring neurology, on the other hand, has not been conclusively disproved.

To all: Do not, under any circumstances, use acupunture to treat autism. Acupunture is a sham treatment. It only offers a placebo effect, and autism cannot be cured by placebo. Acupuncture is also not risk free, unlike, say, homoeopathy (the only risk that provides is not seeking proper treatment). Acupunture treatments can lead to collapsed lungs, and the dangers of dirty needles are well known. The risks (very small chance of death) outweigh the benefits (placebo). If you want a placebo, take a homoeopathic pill. If you want to get better than seek medical advice.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2014, 4:29 pm

How do we know that acupuncture doesn't work?

Scientists compared acupunture treatments with "sham" acupunture (now there's a redundant word) where needles were inserted at points that are not considered acupunture points. There is no difference.

The funny thing is, acupuncturists can't actually agree on what the acupunture points are...

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Sep 2014, 5:49 pm

I said acupressure, not acupuncture.

Have you tried acupuncture?
Do you have personal knowledge
or just research?

Because I've tried it, big-time.
And it works.

As for placebo effect, that term was
invented for western medicine, where
its action is notorious. Would you tell
me to avoid doctors too?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 6:26 pm

skibum wrote:
I think relieving symptoms is a much better word than cure. You can't rewire your neurology but you can certainly do exercises and use diet and acupressure and massage and open your chakras to help relieve your symptoms. Thank you for posting these. Anything to help is good.

Agreed

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 11:22 am

i have tried reiki and pranic healing. it helped me relieve emotional issues since it was full of meditation it calmed me also when i cant get up the bed due to sickness reiki helped me to regain it.
I dont know its placebo, faith, blind faith whatever it worked for me.

Why dont we do a clinical trial of this exercise with those who are been certified with Asperger
Some people should volunteer to take up this exercise regularly and we can trace their
progress and keep a data.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Sep 2014, 1:32 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I said acupressure, not acupuncture.

Have you tried acupuncture?
Do you have personal knowledge
or just research?

Because I've tried it, big-time.
And it works.

As for placebo effect, that term was
invented for western medicine, where
its action is notorious. Would you tell
me to avoid doctors too?

OK, my mistake. Acupressure is safe, but it doesn't work better than a placebo. I would still recommend seeking medical treatment concurrently, but harm is extremely unlikely.

Research is better than personal knowledge. People make mistakes all the time, particularly identifying the causes of things. Double-blind, placebo-controlled studies avoid this bias in thinking and show us what actually works, particularly with systematic meta-analysis. That is why your anecdote is not meaningful.

Acupuncture has been tested as a treatment for depression and schizophrenia and found wanting:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... E9E.f03t01
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 5/abstract

so it seems unlikely it will be any good for autism. Again, the placebo effect is a real thing, so it can be worthwhile if you've got nothing else to go with.

There is no such thing as "Western" medicine. There is only medicine and quackery. The great thing about medical treatments is that they have to show they are better than placebo. Acupunture/acupressure fails that test.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2014, 3:45 pm

I understand what you're saying but I don't agree that science is always right. I don't care why. I know the pills and the surgeries don't work. The acupuncture works. I speak from personal experience. If that's placebo, then give me a placebo.

There is Eastern and Western medicine. That is a conversational reference widely understood.

You've not tested any of this personally and probably wouldn't believe in the value of it. My test is personal. Yours is scientific theory. Science only claims to have failed to disprove a thing. I've lived long enough to watch those theories get disproved. How about thalidomide babies? Good old double-blind tests. No arms, no legs. Oops for science.

I'm getting cranky here, close to rude, and I don't really want to quarrel. I do not disrespect you as a person. I'm more enraged because I have cancer and Medicine is not working. But I remember a time when I wasn't sick and the things I have said here are true.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 1:26 pm

i read somewhere that cure for cancer has been found long time back but treatment is such a huge business
that cure has not been revealed to keep the business running.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2014, 6:23 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I understand what you're saying but I don't agree that science is always right. I don't care why. I know the pills and the surgeries don't work. The acupuncture works. I speak from personal experience. If that's placebo, then give me a placebo.

There is Eastern and Western medicine. That is a conversational reference widely understood.

You've not tested any of this personally and probably wouldn't believe in the value of it. My test is personal. Yours is scientific theory. Science only claims to have failed to disprove a thing. I've lived long enough to watch those theories get disproved. How about thalidomide babies? Good old double-blind tests. No arms, no legs. Oops for science.

I'm getting cranky here, close to rude, and I don't really want to quarrel. I do not disrespect you as a person. I'm more enraged because I have cancer and Medicine is not working. But I remember a time when I wasn't sick and the things I have said here are true.

If you only value personal experience (which again, is not reliable) then fine. My mother has been having acupunture to help her sleep and it has been keeping her awake at night. Is that personal enough?

Science is simply looking at everyone's experiences together in a more sober way. You might think acupunture is helping you, but it actually just provides a little bit of pain relief because you feel like it should do.
Quote:
Science only claims to have failed to disprove a thing.

That isn't true. In this case, science has disproved a thing.

Quote:
How about thalidomide babies? Good old double-blind tests. No arms, no legs. Oops for science.

You realise this goes against what you are saying?

Thalidomide wasn't tested on pregnant women. If it had been, then it would never have been licensed. That case proves the need for medicines to be tested properly, and only used if they are shown to be safe and effective!

I am sorry to hear about your cancer. If it is any consolation, survival rates and length of life after diagnosis are both going up, so there's still hope for you.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2014, 6:43 pm

We have hijacked this thread. With the best of intentions and without meaning to hijack, but that's what we've done.

Mods, could you split this into Yoga vs Autism and Medicine vs Placebo, or whatever may be suitable?