Benefits of cross-cultural and interracial relationships.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PaulHubert
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2014, 6:55 pm

I heard that interracial and/or cross-cultural relationships can be very successful for aspies because they are expecting you to be different to begin with. It makes sense to me, from the point of view of the NT finding interest in the aspie (of different race or background), they appreciate how we're different, whatever the rare trait may be, they like it...but the key is, in this case, it is more likely they will attribute eccentricities to being from a different background, and not a neurological difference (which IMO, is a common psychological deal-breaker when someone gets the latter impression early on). Personally, I have had times in the past where I've felt "comfortably different" around black girls, and at times, that comfortable feeling resulted in some showing more interest than what I've gotten in the past; maybe some of them liked what was different about me, but "odd" didn't come to mind simply because the color of my skin. I must admit, I've experienced a lot of rejection, being intentionally led on for amusement, and a couple cases of being dated for the "comedy gold" of my inappropriateness , all with white women, specifically the popular ones that I never had a chance with. I'm sure black girls do it just the same, but I have felt very comfortable around the nice ones, and until recently, I simply shunned the idea an interracial relationship from fear of the stigma. I don't think I like them to spite white women, I think I just associate more positive feelings and experiences with them: if that entails potential relationships with those who are less likely to immediately write off a slightly eccentric person like me, I don't see anything wrong with using that to my advantage.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 7:52 pm

I've read of and heard of, from more than one source, that this can often be something people on the spectrum are either drawn to or find more success in, yeah. My own marriage was to someone from a different country; not radically so, but plenty enough different that he really did think my eccentricities and even my social deficits were due to being from where I was from as opposed to his own country's ways.

In my case, unfortunately, however, it didn't last. The same things he found cute and different at the start, were the very things he ultimately became pissed off about.

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2014, 12:15 pm

I am in an interracial relationship myself, being from a family with African roots and dating a girl from a white family. I have not seen advantages or disadvantages because we are both born in the same country but I imagine if one of us was born in another country things would be different. Someone's racial background only begins to matter when they are from another country of origin, otherwise the differences are much smaller then people make them out to be.