Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

animaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2014, 10:53 pm

Two days ago, my grandfather died.
I am closer to him than anyone else with the exception of my mother. I'm not sure if I loved him, but I didn't want him gone.
I don't seem to miss him yet. My family has been taking me all sorts of places and that is stressful.
Is it ok that I am more concerned about the stress this is causing me than his death at the moment?
I do feel something that I can't explain. I feel disturbed, but in a weird way. I don't understand what I'm feeling. Am I grieving? :? Can I even grieve?
I keep having recurring thoughts about how he would criticize me for not being proper and doing proper funeral-type things, but he isn't around anymore. But then I intellectualize that away and I can hardly imagine what's going to happen to me now.
When I was told, all I did was rollover and go back to sleep. Am I a bad person for not caring?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm

There's no right or wrong with grief - it's a very personal thing. I know when my dad died it didn't hit me until a certain amount of time had passed. At the moment your stress is probably more real to you than your grandfather's passing.
You are certainly capable of grieving - in your own way.

Last edited by Raleigh on 26 Sep 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 12:15 am

Problem is, be careful expressing your grief to a GP or a psychiatrist, as you may end up being diagnosed with a major depression disorder. The DSM 5 has done away with the 2 week grief exemption when diagnosing major depression. That will get you an antidepressant you may not need.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 6:24 am

From anything I've gathered, each person can experience grief in a different way, and go through a different timeline with the grieving process. I would imagine this applies to everyone human, not just NT or on the autism spectrum or anything else. Even NTs show widely varying reactions to the loss of a loved one.

Some people immediately feel numb and non-reactive -- that's the one that almost seems like "not caring." Some people immediately feel deeply sad and emotional, find that they cry, etc. Inbetween these two very opposite reactions is a whole spectrum of variations.

People also move in and out of the different variations, stages, and expressions of grief. Some people may find themselves emotional for a while and then getting numb and quieter. Then something triggers a more emotional wave of grief again.

There are no set rules or behavioral patterns with grieving a death; it hits different people different ways, and even the same person in different ways as time goes by.

Try not to worry too much about how or why your grief is the way it is; just take it easy on yourself and let whatever you're feeling be what it is. You may well find it changing and becoming different things at different times.

You've probably heard of the "Five stages of grief" -- link here.

Again, even these aren't rigid "rules" but just different stages that have been figured out as something many people go through when faced with loss.

Also, depression and sadness is "normal" as a response to the death of something or someone we loved and that was important in our lives. Don't let any mental health professional try to medicate you or treat you as if you have developed a depression disorder just because you may start to feel the natural depression the mourning sends many people into. Even my therapist told me some phases of "depression" are in fact a totally normal response to and event in life that IS depressing and sad to us as human beings with feelings.

But even if you don't feel depressed remember that that's okay too. Mourning is very subjective and you must let yourself process the loss in the way that's already coming naturally to you.

Lost both my parents during my twenties, really went through the ringer with the grief stuff, so some of this info is stuff I picked up in that whole process. Hope any of it can help.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 8:27 am

animaster wrote:
When I was told, all I did was rollover and go back to sleep. Am I a bad person for not caring?

Animaster, your feelings for your grand father will roll over you and leave you realing,
whenever they feel like it!

we are not the masters of our emotions,
we are the victims!

Iv'e seen it time and time again

Emotional is a display that NT's turn on
emotion is a completely internal state that is personal and unique

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 8:32 am

You'll grieve in your own way and in your own time.

You shouldn't be hard on yourself.

animaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2014, 9:23 pm

The funeral was today. I didn't go. My biological parents wouldn't let me go.
We spent the last few days getting ready, including buying a suit to wear to the funeral.
This morning we got a call saying I wasn't allowed to go.

I appreciate all your encouragements and advice, but don't know.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:36 pm

animaster wrote:
I am closer to him than anyone else with the exception of my mother. I'm not sure if I loved him, but I didn't want him gone.
I don't seem to miss him yet. My family has been taking me all sorts of places and that is stressful.
Is it ok that I am more concerned about the stress this is causing me than his death at the moment?
I do feel something that I can't explain. I feel disturbed, but in a weird way. I don't understand what I'm feeling. Am I grieving? :? Can I even grieve?
I keep having recurring thoughts about how he would criticize me for not being proper and doing proper funeral-type things, but he isn't around anymore. But then I intellectualize that away and I can hardly imagine what's going to happen to me now.

You may be feeling mild 'shock', which is part physiological and part psychological. It can feel a bit confusing and hard to describe....it is normal. It will pass.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:39 pm

syzygyish wrote:
animaster wrote:

Animaster, your feelings for your grand father will roll over you and leave you realing,
whenever they feel like it!

we are not the masters of our emotions,
we are the victims!

Iv'e seen it time and time again

That has been your experience.

Not everyone feels out of control emotionally as you feel.

We need not be overpowered by emotion.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

animaster wrote:
We spent the last few days getting ready, including buying a suit to wear to the funeral.

Just what exactly was their reason for not letting you attend the funeral?

animaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2014, 10:45 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
animaster wrote:

They disowned me when I got my diagnosis and I was sent to live with less prestigous relatives. They want to hide me under the rug. I assume that is the reason. I was seven when they disowned me.
I lived in my grandfathers old house with him for a while and then I went to live with a cousin of my biological father. I call that second relative mother out of habit.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 11:26 pm

animaster wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
animaster wrote:

They disowned me when I got my diagnosis and I was sent to live with less prestigous relatives. They want to hide me under the rug. I assume that is the reason. I was seven when they disowned me.
I lived in my grandfathers old house with him for a while and then I went to live with a cousin of my biological father. I call that second relative mother out of habit.

If you aren't living with your biological parents, and they legally disowned you, then why should you give a flying fsck about what they want? I assume you are at least 18 years of age.

animaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2014, 10:10 am

Meistersinger wrote:
animaster wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
animaster wrote:

If you aren't living with your biological parents, and they legally disowned you, then why should you give a flying fsck about what they want? I assume you are at least 18 years of age.

I'm not 18, I'm 14. I'm a freshman in highschool. I don't know if I am disowned legally or not, but they sent me away and I've barely seen them since. They still support me financially and I want them to accept me.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 4:20 am

animaster wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
animaster wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
animaster wrote:

I'm not 18, I'm 14. I'm a freshman in highschool. I don't know if I am disowned legally or not, but they sent me away and I've barely seen them since. They still support me financially and I want them to accept me.

Did they ever give you a specific reason why they shipped you off to live with relatives at the age of 7, or were there dreams of a perfect family unit get destroyed with your diagnosis?

To me, it sounds like you're another victim of disposable child disease that has been rampant since time immemorial. Autism Speaks doesn't help in this regard.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 7:22 am

so, not only are you an orphan, your also a minor and a refugee
and the system disowns you!

:heart:

-That was the only emoticon on WP that expressed how I feel

also this-
:(

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2014, 11:41 am

animaster wrote:

Sometimes when someone dies, the true extent to how much you miss them does not hit you until much, much later. Grief or mourning is a process and it works different for everyone. It can be a numbing sense... a funny feeling. One day, days or even weeks after their passing, you may suddenly break down and cry. When I lost my uncle I did not cry even though I loved him. I felt weird, as if I had no feeling. Then when I saw my mother and my sisters cry, it hit me... seeing them sad made me sad. And I cried too. Afterwards, I felt relieved.

Playing sad songs can help, if you feel that crying is an important part of the mourning process. It can help get the emotions out, on your own terms and in your own place without onlookers. I personally prefer to do my crying alone. But again, it is different for everyone else.