Obsessive, vicious, relationship cycle?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

kturcotte1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2014, 8:13 pm

I'm new here. I have not officially been diagnosed with Asperger's yet, though people have suggested that I probably have it, and when I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and therapist, they both agreed, and my therapist has even made a referral to a neurologist for an official diagnosis.
I'm wondering if others ever obsess over people, and if so, how can it be helped. I don't really have relationships offline. I mostly deal with family and doctors, and that's it. Online is different, though. I deal with quite a few people online, mostly through Facebook and Twitter. Usually there is ONE person I really identify with, really get to know, becoming friends with. In all honesty, I really obsess over them. I get lonely and frustrated (Though not at/with them) when they're not online. They really become my best friend, and mean the absolute world to me, though I never mean as much to them. I tend to misinterpret signs and what they're saying, and usually blow the relationship up in my head more than it really is. Usually I then accidentally wind up saying or doing something stupid, and they reject me and block me, and it feels like my entire world has ended. It honestly feels like what others have described as a romantic relationship ending, though I can't say, as I've never had a romantic relationship, even at 33 (Almost 34). I get really depressed. I want to die. I would have done ANYTHING for these people. I'd have died for them. This is happening again now. I've started talking to somebody. This is a little different though in that he has actually outright called me a friend, and he himself has Asperger's. I'm wondering though, how do I stop the obsessing, before I do what I always do and say/do something stupid and he takes offense and blocks me? Have others experienced this vicious cycle? How have you broken it and actually had healthy relationships with people? Or haven't you been able to?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I hope you will find some useful answers to your questions here.

To address your central issue, obsession feeds upon isolation and tends to be magnified by it; so breaking out of isolation usually helps; so I hope you will find this a place of companionship, inspiration and comfort.

The other big driver of obsession, I think, is unresolved baggage, feelings and experiences which we have tended to submerge rather than face squarely; and usually these are biggies, they are the very things we feel uncomfortable even thinking about. So obsession is the symptom of these other issues, rather than an isolated problem in itself.

You may disagree and that's fine. We disagree a bit here sometimes!